• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

A fine example of certain bronze books which look like solid investment books are highlighted in this article by BronzeBruce13 :

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000003

Those articles are from 2006. Just curious if Bruce or anyone has compared current census numbers. It would be interesting to see which books are still more rare. And I know I could do it myself but my curiosity doesn't outweigh my laziness.

I did pick one as it is currently "hot" - Ms. Marvel #1. In the article, part 2, there (5) 9.8s. Now there are 65 which includes 59 blue, 1 GLOD, and 5 SS.

Echoing Telerites above, Ghost Rider 1 was listed in the article with a single 9.8.

There are now 19 blue Universal alone.

One of them sold a few days ago on eBay for $2,175. I was tracking it & considering pulling the trigger.

In 2006 the then-lone 9.8 sold for more than $6,400.

There are far far more high-grade copies of most key Bronze books out there than have been slabbed, even today.

I'm quite sure 90%+ of those books are very well represented in 9.8 in the census now. The purpose of the articles back then were to illuminate books that basically were not meeting demand (and not coincidentally issues I was seeking). The lists were basically a heads up to dealers to find/sub those books as they stood to cash in... and us bronze collectors could fill gaps. It wasn't investment advice... more like an "opportunity tip" as I was willing to pay up. I think Rich Henn took the articles to heart and produced the first Rom 1 9.8s to market and really cashed in.

I considered a follow up article, but I don't think there are many bronze keys/semi-keys with only (1) 9.8 left . I haven't checked in some time, but I'm guessing that "Where Creatures Roam #1" and "Where Monsters Dwell #1" may still only have the sole 9.8s that I sold to Doc Joe years back. I bet there aren't many Marvel Spotlight 5 9.8s either. I should just check... maybe there are (12). lol

Either way... probably would be a very short article.

A fine example of certain bronze books which look like solid investment books are highlighted in this article by BronzeBruce13 :

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000003

Those articles are from 2006. Just curious if Bruce or anyone has compared current census numbers. It would be interesting to see which books are still more rare. And I know I could do it myself but my curiosity doesn't outweigh my laziness.

5 years? No Quick flip? I will list a few, some that are not the keys everyone is listing if you get them cheap you will do well in 5 years.

Hmm

Eternals 1st appearances Especially Sersi

Demon 1

Giant Size Defenders 3

Avengers 167

Avengers 162

Hulk 228

MTU 55

Star Wars 1 (Yeah it will bump up)

Edited by Fastballspecial

5 years? No Quick flip? I will list a few, some that are not the keys everyone is listing if you get them cheap you will do well in 5 years.

Hmm

Demon 1

Giant Size Defenders 3

Avengers 167

Avengers 162

Hulk 228

Hulk 248

The Demon 1 appears to be a book that continues to fly under the radar. Star Wars 1 will unfortunately encounter a moderate rise in price even though there are a ton of them out there. Much like Transformers 1 I don't see that book remaining at high levels for long after the hype from episode 7 settles down. Star Wars 1 in 9.8 sells for $500 or more as it is.

Hmm

Demon 1

Giant Size Defenders 3

Avengers 167

Avengers 162

Hulk 228

Hulk 248

The Demon 1 appears to be a book that continues to fly under the radar. Star Wars 1 will unfortunately encounter a moderate rise in price even though there are a ton of them out there. Much like Transformers 1 I don't see that book remaining at high levels for long after the hype from episode 7 settles down. Star Wars 1 in 9.8 sells for $500 or more as it is.

The Demon 1 is definitely an overlooked gem. Without a movie announcement, it will probably undeservedly remain so.

There are less of the first prints of Star Wars 1 than the "1 million copies" sold would imply. I'm not convince a Star Wars 1 first print is any more or less common than it's peers from the same period. I think there have been many submitted to CGC because of the rise in price compared to its peers however. Considering how many reprints of Star Wars 1 have been made over the years, it is astonishing the first issue commands the price it does.

Hmm

Demon 1

Giant Size Defenders 3

Avengers 167

Avengers 162

Hulk 228

Hulk 248 & MARVEL TEAM -UP #55

fixed it. I agree with Sersi

Edited by paul747

Everything from Kirby's Fourth World except for JO134 seems overlooked at this point. Sadly the only thing that could propel them is an announcement for Darkseid. After that I'd imagine anything Fourth world related would skyrocket.

New Gods' #1 forgotten gem to me is 1st Apokolips. A few days ago I found a NM Mister Miracle #2 for under $10. That just seems wrong lol

Although not BA, I think some good money could be made off of 1st Enchantress, Surtur, Kang, and Baron Zemo. Still shocked none of them have showed up.

Hmm

Demon 1

Giant Size Defenders 3

Avengers 167

Avengers 162

Hulk 228

1st Infinity Gems on the MTU 55, right?

Everything from Kirby's Fourth World except for JO134 seems overlooked at this point. Sadly the only thing that could propel them is an announcement for Darkseid. After that I'd imagine anything Fourth world related would skyrocket.

New Gods' #1 forgotten gem to me is 1st Apokolips. A few days ago I found a NM Mister Miracle #2 for under $10. That just seems wrong lol

Although not BA, I think some good money could be made off of 1st Enchantress, Surtur, Kang, and Baron Zemo. Still shocked none of them have showed up.

Yup, Thanos gets all the credit, however, he will even tell you he's a Darkseid knock-off...

152017.jpg.a8699b3bf1ea0b2e01a256e13f26ed52.jpg

Hmm

Demon 1

Giant Size Defenders 3

Avengers 167

Avengers 162

Hulk 228

Yeah I was confused on MTU 55 as well. We see a couple of the gems, but not all right? I haven't read that issue for years.

Hmm

Demon 1

Giant Size Defenders 3

Avengers 167

Avengers 162

Hulk 228

Yeah I was confused on MTU 55 as well. We see a couple of the gems, but not all right? I haven't read that issue for years.

Here's what I have for you, Fastball. I had to bust out my copy. I believe Paul knows his stuff and I saw some sellers noting this as 1st Infinity gems on Ebay. Here's what's in the book. 2 panels stand out.

Panel 1 is the Stranger mentioning there are 6 Infinity gems. This is huge and caused me to pick up another copy since mine is 6.5ish. Chronologically speaking, I know believe this is the first reference of the 6 gems at the forefront of the Marvel movie universe.

Panel 2 contains some dude named the Gardner showing up to bail out Spidey and Warlock from the Stranger. Since the Stranger plays a role in this storyline, Id give a slight bump to XMen #11 here as well. It's his first appearance.

My conclusion. MTU 55 is a key Warlock book and possibly more than that. Still some cheapies left online but no über high grade. Chuck R had a few 6.0's for <$10. Here are the panels to reach your own conclusions. Kudos to Paul as well.

152029.jpg.c2acae3766e385f226d555a87ab1e254.jpg

See I wouldn't chase MTU 55 for that. It would have to be more for me like Avengers Annual 7 or something like that.

I just used Hulk 248 for the Gardner.

Marvel Two In One Annual 7 is another one I have been actively chasing in high grades.

I will check those out. I do believe though that the first mention of 6 Infinity Gems is a critical moment in the totality of Marvel comic book literature. It opens the door for one of the great storylines. FWIW, Id say a minor key at least. Certainly good value <$10.

The 2 that Ive been accumulating are Avengers 87 and New Gods 2.

As FF 52 continues to climb I think collectors will start to veer towards the 87. Nice cover and a key Panther book. FF 53 is good too, which is also the first Klaw.

New Gods 2 is the first Darkseid cover, as well as what I believe should probably qualify as his Origin issue. I like it for reasons similar to Avengers 87. In my opinion, for Darkseid collectors it is right behind only JO 134 and FP 1 in terms of importance.

All just my 2c

See I wouldn't chase MTU 55 for that. It would have to be more for me like Avengers Annual 7 or something like that.

Marvel Two In One Annual 7 is another one I have been actively chasing in high grades.

Gardner's 1st appearance is Marvel team-up #55 and the beginning of the story that goes to avengers annual #7 - Definitely some Gem history as well. The first appearance of three(3) of the gems is credited to Marvel premiere #1.

1st Gardner

1st mention of infinity stones (6) I think blazincomics shows that panel (good work)

1st stasis arcs

Not a KEY but if mentioning hulk #248 this book should be mentioned with it. It does tie into the mystery of the stones .

Edited by paul747

Gardner's 1st appearance is Marvel team-up #55 and the beginning of the story that goes to avengers annual #7 - Definitely some Gem history as well. The first appearance of three(3) of the gems is credited to Marvel premiere #1.

1st Gardner

1st mention of infinity stones (6) I think blazincomics shows that panel (good work)

1st stasis arcs

Not a KEY but if mentioning hulk #248 this book should be mentioned with it. It does tie into the mystery of the stones .

Ah I see said the blind man. doh!

I had assumed Hulk 248 was his 1st appearance I hadn't considered MTU 55.

I will adjust my post now. I was listing Hulk 248 because I thought that was the Gardner 1st app. doh!

I was just more interested in the 1st Elders appearances.

Edited by Fastballspecial