• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

From Grantland. I agree 100%.

Some might argue that the great gift cable television has given storytellers is the lack of limits: Freed from network standards and practices, showrunners are free to lard their adult-themed hours with rivers of blood, rails of crystal meth, and, when all else fails, some totally non-gratuitous sexposition. I would argue the reverse to be true: It’s the limits that have made the shows better, specifically, the limited number of episodes. The foreknowledge that any given season is going to consist of a set number of hours and that all of them will air, even if literally no one is watching (I see you, Lights Out! I mean, I didn’t watch you, but I see you), allows writers and producers to take the time to consider their craft. If done correctly, every season can have a stated purpose and a beginning, middle, and end. It was a lesson that extended past the premium channels with Lost: By the third season the characters were running in circles, creatively and literally. When they were given an end date, they were also given a destination. (That the destination was a hug-filled heaven is infuriating but irrelevant.)

I agree that it helps viewers to have a purpose, beginning, middle and end to each season of a TV show. (thumbs u

But I respectfully disaggree that the WD hasn't done that. The 1st season had a purpose. To introduce us to this world. It was only six episodes after all. The beginning was meeting Rick, and watching him try to find his family. They even had a purpose of going to the CDC. Which resolved itself in the final episode. An element that wasn't in the comic, but worked for exactly the TV purposes the author is complaining about. 2c

And so it was particularly disheartening to see The Walking Dead get Lost so quickly in its sophomore season. After a bold and body-filled premiere, the second episode remains, quite literally, stuck in traffic: a ponderous, weepy depressing of the pause button while characters are broken up into manageable groups and big-picture plotting is ignored in favor of the present crisis. Of course, the present crisis is a big one: After a flashback detailing Lori’s muted reaction to news of her husband being shot (Really? No interest at all in where he was shot?), we cut to Rick’s desperate run across a meadow carrying his equally shot son, Carl. Fortunately for Carl, he’s the beneficiary of some serious TV Luck: First, the bullet was slowed down considerably as it passed through its true target, the giant buck. Second, on the other side of the woods is a safe destination, what appears to be Colonel Angus’s mansion, only the good colonel is now a kindly cornpone doctor. Soon Carl is being tended to by a bevy of hot sister-nurses and Rick is being pumped for both his (conveniently!) matching blood-type blood and the roiling emotions Lori once felt he kept buried. No longer!

To say that the show is getting "Lost" and "stuck in traffic" after only the 2nd episode is ridiculous. The show actually took more time to tell the story of Carl's shooting and develop the charaters. How is that a bad thing?

The pitiable sight of poor Carl in agony, being harvested for bullet fragments, is much harder to watch than any supporting player being snacked on by a hundred undead extras. Rick and Sugar Shane share some extremely intense feelings with one another, sweating into each other’s necks about responsibility and whether all of this has just been a “sick joke.” (The other people in the room, presumably, quietly look away or pretend to play Angry Birds on their non-functioning iPhones.) Eventually, a plan is hatched: One of the Sister Nurses will ride a horse into the woods to find Lori (sure) while Shane and Otis, the portly farmhand who accidentally plugged Carl (played by the dependably excellent Pruitt Taylor Vince), will venture off to the local school in search of some operating equipment. Otis’s farewell — with the wifely weeping and the promises of returning Rick’s gun to him — was almost Kenny-esque in its foreshadowing. The big lug might as well bring along a roasting spit and carry an apple in his mouth for flavoring.

What does he expect the other characters to say to Rick & Shane while they had that moment? :screwy:

Meanwhile, a whole lot of other stuff doesn’t happen. Back on the highway, Dale notices two important developments: one, T-Dog is in very rough shape due to an infection in his badly sliced-up arm. Two, T-Dog’s name is T-Dog. I was certain it was T-Bone! This is both a very embarrassing gaffe on my part and kind of a larger indictment of the show and how little time it’s spent characterizing its one African-American member. And, for the briefest of moments, it seems like T-Dog might be the slightest bit self-aware: “I’m the last black guy,” he fumes. “You know how precarious that makes my situation?” Yes, we do, T-Dog! Does this mean you’ve actually seen movies before — perhaps even one with zombies in it? That there could be the slightest wink of meta-consciousness at work? But, no. The Ol’ Dog just means that everyone else remaining is a nominally racist cracker. It’s just a fever, folks! Nothing insightful to see here.

If the reviewer doesn't pay attention to characters names, how much stock can you put into their opinion? Pay attention... (shrug) I mean seriously, T-Dog is an extra minor character that wasn't in the comics at all. Clearly he's infected and soon to be zombie food. To base the quality of a show on the character development of a minor supporting character after only 8 episodes is unrealistic.

Out in the woods, the rest of the gang wander aimlessly in search of Sophia but soon worry for Rick and Carl takes over because, after all, they are the main characters. Leave it to Daryl to be the voice of optimism, telling Carol point-blank “we’re gonna locate that little girl. Am I the only one Zen around here? Good lord!” Wait a second ... despicable bad boy with a thing for showing his arms suddenly transforming into a bad- quip machine with a heart (and mane) of gold? Somebody stop him! He’s Sawyering too soon!

No he isn't. 2c

Still, the nature walk does provide the hour’s one truly haunting moment when Andrea, separated briefly from the group, continues a one-sided conversation with someone walking alongside her. Someone who is no longer alive. But one gasp isn’t enough to allay the overall concerns: Eventually the show is going to run out of cool ways to do gross things and an overall point or goal — be it geographic or metaphorical — will have to emerge. Because a successful season of television can’t be paced like a video game — running blandly from crisis to crisis, from boss level to boss level. Shane and Otis’s suicide medical run at the end of the episode was gripping but bloodless: There’s an objective, an obstacle, and some bad odds. The effect is like watching someone else play Resident Evil. At a certain point The Walking Dead is going to have to start heading toward something instead of always running away.

I already made my case for the 1st season. The 2nd season will also have the proper elements too.

The stated purpose will be finding a safe place to live.

Is it the farm? Remember what Hershel has in his barn? It will lead to conflict over whether or not to stay at the farm, or move on. With story elements from the comic being expanded like last nights episode. I think it will have an "end" with the prison. I think they are following the correct formula, as far as mapping out where they are going and how to get there. (thumbs u

I feel like they are spending to much time on this carl deal, but there may be a reason that I don't know about yet.

I'm betting he is revived in the next episode, but by the time they find that girl they have to hit her over the head - and it's all dramatic and emotional.

I can't believe they're stretching the missing Sophia girl for at least 3 episodes now. Now both kids are in dire circumstances. Guess it's not too hot to be a pre-teen on the WTD show (or a baby, per the scene of the bloody car seat...ack)!

I think using Sophia's search allows the time to develop the other characters in the show. The book is completely character driven using zombies basically as a prop.

Keeping them all in one general area let's the focus remain on the characters. Who here that has read the trades has NOT begun to like Shane? That's pretty cool for someone that was a throwaway character in the books.

Darryl is also much more interesting this season and I couldn't wait for him to take a dirt nap last season. Andrea is a wench. I actually don't like Lori very much.

I think they are going to flush out the characters a bit more over the next few episodes and then start whacking them. Then use the last few episodes to begin introducing new characters for next season.

One thing about the Grantland article, there is no goal. There is no destination. There is nothing to head towards. We don't know where they are going and neither do they. They are just trying to survive. That is why I think it will continue to be a great book and television series.

Oh yeah...

Dumb thought just popped into my head...what about Shane turning into a Governor type character? Either Shane and Andrea run off together and come back or maybe a Shane and Andrea led revolt at some point that has the same results as the books? Just random thoughts.

Darryl is the new Rick. Kill Rick.

Rick's gotta get himself some orange juice and start zombie thumping soon or I may join you in this opinion.

I am really starting to wonder why they are following him. Is it the badge? Shane or Darryl seem much better suited for the job. Maybe they lack some leadership skills but they both seem to be able to handle the group's situation better.

Would Darryl have asked the little girl to hide while he tried to kill the 2 zombies? Would Shane?

It would be a surprise twist for the comic readers. lol

I am really starting to wonder why they are following him. Is it the badge? Shane or Darryl seem much better suited for the job. Maybe they lack some leadership skills but they both seem to be able to handle the group's situation better.

Would Darryl have asked the little girl to hide while he tried to kill the 2 zombies? Would Shane?

It would be a surprise twist for the comic readers. lol

Neither is married, neither a father? Maybe that lends itself to normalcy and stability? (shrug)

lol

I'm home with three of them. I will agree that normalcy and stability is not part of the equation. ;)

Compared to all the loners who watched their families be eaten or murdered seeing a mom and dad and son is probably a relief. Rick seems calm through everything, It wasn't long before this that Daryl was the other half of Merle & Daryl, and Shane spent all last season pushing people around. So I get where they like a respectful, calm, non crazy survivalist sort of guy.

I understand the attraction to him being the leader but at the end of the day Shane and Darryl seem to save lives while Rick is calmly leading them to be eaten one by one. Personally I'd be Darryl's shadow.

I understand the attraction to him being the leader but at the end of the day Shane and Darryl seem to save lives while Rick is calmly leading them to be eaten one by one. Personally I'd be Darryl's shadow.

I agree, I would be too. But from experience I find most people to be dumb.

i tivo'd the first episode, but the reviews have been so horrible i haven't even bothered to watch yet. not sure if i want to now.

don't know what you're talking about; the show has an 80 score on metacritic which is extremely good

Edited by paperheart

I'm liking this season even more than i disliked the first season.

Seems the show has taken a whole new direction (pun intended) and is now heading the right way :wishluck:

I agree that both Andrea and Rick need to grow some balls if they are going to be like the comic book characters, but we don't know that. (Although i doubt they'll change Rick too much)

And whoever mentioned Shane ending up as a Governor type character, I could totally see that. (But i really just want him to be zombie fodder soon because i cant' stand the actor)

Also liking Daryl a lot...which probably means his bwaiins will be eaten next week and T-Dog (gaaawd i hate that name) will live to see the end of season 2 :sick:

But i'm hoping for the best, so far it's been great and waaay better than season one.

(But please stop driving loud f :censored: motorcycles when you clearly know zombies are attracted to sound)

I'm liking this season even more than i disliked the first season.

Seems the show has taken a whole new direction (pun intended) and is now heading the right way :wishluck:

I agree that both Andrea and Rick need to grow some balls if they are going to be like the comic book characters, but we don't know that. (Although i doubt they'll change Rick too much)

And whoever mentioned Shane ending up as a Governor type character, I could totally see that. (But i really just want him to be zombie fodder soon because i cant' stand the actor)

Also liking Daryl a lot...which probably means his bwaiins will be eaten next week and T-Dog (gaaawd i hate that name) will live to see the end of season 2 :sick:

But i'm hoping for the best, so far it's been great and waaay better than season one.

(But please stop driving loud f :censored: motorcycles when you clearly know zombies are attracted to sound)

The cool guy needs his hog