• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can you tell me about the Boston and Winnipeg Pedigree collections

98 posts in this topic

I own the Winnipeg Avengers # 5 and I know that Red Hook owned the Avengers #2, 3 & 4. The # 5 is graded 8.5 and I know that the # 3 was graded 9.0.

The # 2, 3 & 4 all had the signature on the front but the # 5 is one of the few that does not.

Bob Siman owns the winnipeg #4.

I own the Winnipeg Avengers # 5 and I know that Red Hook owned the Avengers #2, 3 & 4. The # 5 is graded 8.5 and I know that the # 3 was graded 9.0.

The # 2, 3 & 4 all had the signature on the front but the # 5 is one of the few that does not.

Ah, I knew that Brad said he used to own them, didn't know where they ended up. I wonder if Bob bought the # 2 & 3 as well.

Gaz,

Did I buy the Winnipeg and Boston books from you? Starting to forget where I bought some books...

Anybody have info on them?

Becharra Malouf (sp?) brought most of the Boston books to the market. Although Vincent Zurzolo (pre-Metropolis) also got some from the original owner. I think the Boston designation is a misnomer. I'm pretty sure the original owner was/is from NY.

In any event, the Boston books are killer with deep colors and very fresh pages. Next to the Curators, I think they're some of the nicest Silver Age Marvels I've seen. The collection just doesn't have the breadth of some of the better known Silver Age pedigrees. They could exist, but I don't know of any Boston books from before 1965.

I dont own a Boston or Winnipeg Detective yet.. I do own the Winnipeg Defenders 1, and maybe others? But the Defenders is a nice book for sure, alhough I do have some Pedigree books that present a little better, my pick are Mass. books those are my favorites still.

Gaz,

Did I buy the Winnipeg and Boston books from you? Starting to forget where I bought some books...

Yep, that's right Marc. (thumbs u You bought one of each from me.

Anybody have info on them?

Becharra Malouf (sp?) brought most of the Boston books to the market. Although Vincent Zurzolo (pre-Metropolis) also got some from the original owner. I think the Boston designation is a misnomer. I'm pretty sure the original owner was/is from NY.

In any event, the Boston books are killer with deep colors and very fresh pages. Next to the Curators, I think they're some of the nicest Silver Age Marvels I've seen. The collection just doesn't have the breadth of some of the better known Silver Age pedigrees. They could exist, but I don't know of any Boston books from before 1965.

I'm pretty sure Foolkiller had the Boston Avengers 4 (CGC 9.2).....but that's definitely the earliest one I've seen. Someone should ask Bachara...I'm sure he'd recall.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Ah, I knew that Brad said he used to own them, didn't know where they ended up. I wonder if Bob bought the # 2 & 3 as well.

I also owned the 2 at one time, but sold it a few years ago. They're pretty nice comics, but the Winnies really shine in the BA.

Avengers2.jpg

I also owned the 2 at one time, but sold it a few years ago. They're pretty nice comics, but the Winnies really shine in the BA.

The #2 was on Comiclink a while back I seem to remember. 9.2/9.4?

Edit: nevermind, Bob just posted a pic.

My only Winnipeg -- as my earlier posting of the certificate referenced.

It is a CGC 8.0 -- a modest book with great colours.

JIM116FMay65.jpg

I like the signature as a matter of "tasteful" provenance.

Showcase New England originally graded it a 9.4 :cry:

I bought a lot (and I mean A LOT) of my pre-hero Marvels directly from Joe in the early 90s -- before they were even called Winnipegs.

He was a very nice guy and we must have spent hours on the phone having him describe each book to me - all intertrined with his opining about the art and the smell of the book. I was as giddy as a school girl when my package arrived from Canada.

One of the first images I posted on these boards was the price list fax that Joe had originally sent me...I was floored when I got it.

Bill

Showcase New England originally graded it a 9.4 :cry:

SNE overgraded a lot of the Winnipegs. Unfortunately great preservation and white pages don't cancel out structural defects.

In any event, the Boston books are killer with deep colors and very fresh pages.

True. While the Boston books are treated as one of the 2nd teir peds (Curator, PC are considered better), they certainly are beautiful books. The inks look like they are dripping off the covers (at least on the copies that I've owned). Love the Boston books.