• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like high grade comic sellers aren't the only ones smoking crack!

26 posts in this topic

Should have a PLOD, taping a book is a form of restoration. blush.gifgrin.gif

i was thinking that just before i returned from the picture to read the rest of the thread. i'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but i'm confused as to why taping a tear isn't consider resto.

and i think you can see the dark tape spot on the front cover in that crappy scan......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's because scotch tape doesn't make the book "appear" to look more like its original state. It is properly considered a defect. It's an interesting question though, especially if the tape is on the inside and makes the outer cover appear to be intact. Also, if archival repair tape is used, I think that they do consider it restoration because it is largely invisible, though it's pretty easily removed by a professional and thus, reversible.

i was thinking that just before i returned from the picture to read the rest of the thread. i'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but i'm confused as to why taping a tear isn't consider resto.

and i think you can see the dark tape spot on the front cover in that crappy scan......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who knows the merits of why restored stuff gets the label sometimes. color touch is resto but writing on the cover is not? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif At a technical extreme I'm not sure they both aren't the same.

Frankly I believe it is the piecing back together of books and such that ought to be more heavily penalized.

As far as tape. I have an ASM 8 in CGC 2.0 on eBay right now that has some pretty obvious tape. Now first of all, it would be 5.0 or better without the tape, so it is already heavily penalized. Second, I have seen plenty of tape that was used more as a preventive measure than restorative measure. That is a little tear starts and a piece of tape goes on to keep it from getting worse. Mostly done by kids not knowing the financial damege being doen (which at the time was probably impossible to ascertain)!

I have no problem with tape,. But be prepared to sell it for a very cheap price, relatively speaking. flamed.gif

color touch is resto but writing on the cover is not? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif At a technical extreme I'm not sure they both aren't the same.

I think you're losing sight of the meaning of the word "restoration", which means to return something back to a prior state. Writing is not an attempt to return something back to its original condition. You could say it's alteration or addition, but it's not restoration. Perhaps the issue you're really raising is whether the grade of a book should be knocked down for writing, date stamps, and other similar alterations or additions.

CGC's label attempts to disclose what is not readily apparent through the slab, such as restoration and writing inside. There is no need to disclose writing/date stamps on the cover because you can see it for yourself and judge for yourself. If you want to knock the price down or not bid on something because it has writing on it, more power to you. But I think many owners of Church, Reilly, White Mountain and other pedigree books would disagree with you.

color touch is resto but writing on the cover is not? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif At a technical extreme I'm not sure they both aren't the same.

I think you're losing sight of the meaning of the word "restoration", which means to return something back to a prior state. Writing is not an attempt to return something back to its original condition. You could say it's alteration or addition, but it's not restoration. Perhaps the issue you're really raising is whether the grade of a book should be knocked down for writing, date stamps, and other similar alterations or additions.

CGC's label attempts to disclose what is not readily apparent through the slab, such as restoration and writing inside. There is no need to disclose writing/date stamps on the cover because you can see it for yourself and judge for yourself. If you want to knock the price down or not bid on something because it has writing on it, more power to you. But I think many owners of Church, Reilly, White Mountain and other pedigree books would disagree with you.

My response would be this:

The effect of restoration is to reduce the selling price. A lower grade does the same thing. My 2.0 with tape might sell for as much as a 6.0 with restoration. While certain type of restoration attempt to bring it back to original state, things like tape do not. Teh grade reduction for tape alone issufficient penalty and may pemalize worse than if it had been restored.

As far as writing, I think there is a difference between deceptive and unwitting restoration. Ocassionally a black marker is used to cover up spine stress. I'm not always sure it was done by people knowing they were screwing anybody over.

When you consider how minimal most restoration is, restored comics offer great value for those interested in buying them. That does not include me, unfortunatley.

As far as tape, I don't think you can say that is trying to bring it back. Even the most blatant novice realizes he has a book with tape. It is usually an emergency measure designed to keep a book in VG from going to Fair! 893whatthe.gif