• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A warning on shipping books media mail using Diamond boxes.

95 posts in this topic

I went to mail a Diamond box full of comics today and the clerk gave me a funny look and asked me to step aside. Someone who I presume was the postmaster or his assistant came out and told me there was an advisory to be looking for the combination of someone using media mail and Diamond boxes. He warned me it would most likely be opened and the reciever would have to pay first class postage if he wanted it, and that media mail is not returned if he does not accept it. I've shipped many dozen boxes media mail, but will not be using Diamond boxes any longer.

I spoke to another person and he told me the information I got was not 100% correct, so take this as unsolicited free advice and use it as you wish.

one can't mail comics via media mail, so maybe the "diamond comics" distributor printed box has been used enough to raise postal suspicion of content (shrug)

The postmaster of my post office told me directly last week that from this point on ALL packages shipped Media Mail that came through his post office will opened and searched. And that comics and magazine are NOT considered Media Mail due to advertisment contained within them.

I have had 3 packages in the last month that were being shipped to me via Media Mail opened and held until I paid the remaining postage due because they contained comic books.

one can't mail comics via media mail, so maybe the "diamond comics" distributor printed box has been used enough to raise postal suspicion of content (shrug)

This. With the money that the USPS is losing by the minute it doesn't surprise me that they may become more strict on their already posted guidelines.

This. With the money that the USPS is losing by the minute it doesn't surprise me that they may become more strict on their already posted guidelines.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread.

The problem is each post office will give mixed signals. Some will say older comics are okay for Media Mail because the ads are not valid anymore, and others will say NO comics qualify.

Sounds like the safe bet is First Class for small orders, Parcel Post or Priority for larger orders.

I forget, is their "Bound Printed Matter" shipping class useful for comics?

hm

:popcorn:

This thread is saying you can't use it as an individual shipping a few items anymore, that it's a commercial service:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=3281819&Searchpage=2&Main=164387#Post3281819

I just was looking through the USPS site to see what they had for guidelines. There is a page with the title Choosing a Service for Mailing .

Express Mail

Letters, large or thick envelopes, tubes, and packages containing mailable items can be sent using Express Mail. This money-back guaranteed service includes tracking and insurance up to $100. Additional insurance up to $5,000 may be purchased for merchandise. Sunday and holiday delivery is available to many destinations for an additional Fee. Express Mail envelopes and boxes are available at the Post Office™.

Priority Mail

Large or thick envelopes, tubes, and packages containing mailable items can be sent using Priority Mail. This service is typically used to send documents, gifts, and merchandise. Priority Mail envelopes and boxes are available at many Post Offices and can be ordered from www.usps.com.

First-Class Mail

Postcards, letters, large envelopes, and small packages can be sent using First-Class Mail. This service is typically used for personal and business correspondence and bills.

Parcel Post

Small and large packages, thick envelopes, and tubes containing gifts and merchandise can be sent using Parcel Post.

Media Mail

Small and large packages and thick envelopes can be sent using Media Mail. Contents are limited to books, manuscripts, sound recordings, and other certain educational materials. Informally called “Book Rate”, Media Mail cannot contain advertising, except eligible books may contain incidental announcements of books.

In essence, anyone sending comics or slabs media mail have been violating PO policy. It seems the PO now realises this has been going on on a much larger scale than originally thought and is crackind down.

If boxed properly you can still fit 40-60 comics in a medium flat rate box for just over $10 so it is not the end of the world.

If boxed properly you can still fit 40-60 comics in a medium flat rate box for just over $10 so it is not the end of the world.

Good point!

I wish more would follow joeypost's though here...., and that still includes quite few boardies :(

Good point!

I wish more would follow joeypost's though here...., and that still includes quite few boardies :(

Right, that is fine and makes sense, but how do you handle the person that only needs those 1 or 2 books from your $1 book sales thread? Unless it is media mail most options are $4-5, most times the deal ends with that quoted shipping price.

Right, that is fine and makes sense, but how do you handle the person that only needs those 1 or 2 books from your $1 book sales thread? Unless it is media mail most options are $4-5, most times the deal ends with that quoted shipping price.

I hear ya, but think about the end results. One time I sent a single $3 book via Media Mail to Massachusetts. I made an even bigger mistake - I sent it in a small Priority box wrapped in brown paper, assuming I was safe.

How fun it was to be notified via mail by the USPS the receiver was going to be billed for Priority Mail, and I had to send that person $7 to cover the cost.

That was my earliest experience selling, and I never did it again.

I remember the beat down I got on here the last time I mentioned mailing comics via media mail was illegal, and that I couldn't do it at my local p.o. ..., :cloud9:

I hate when the post office opens my packages !

Its like a total invasion of privacy. It shouldnt matter whats in the box, its none of their business ! They are a shipping company, they should charge by size and weight, and thats it !

Why do they care if its comics inside, or if its just a big rock ?

The postmaster of my post office told me directly last week that from this point on ALL packages shipped Media Mail that came through his post office will opened and searched. And that comics and magazine are NOT considered Media Mail due to advertisment contained within them.

I have had 3 packages in the last month that were being shipped to me via Media Mail opened and held until I paid the remaining postage due because they contained comic books.

Even if the comics are trades?