• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest Bronze Age Marvels?

101 posts in this topic

Anyone have a Standard Catalog of Comicbooks available to check on the circulation numbers?

Jim

Jim, the Standard Guide turns out to be of little help. No circulation data for Marvel's Greatest, Marvel Triple Action, Marvel Spectacular. Marvel Tales is only listed from 1983 onward, well past the time we're curious about.

Nevertheless, here is what I have on Marvel Tales. For comparison, I've added in parenthesis the comparable numbers for Conan, and in italics Amazing Spidey.

1983 113,066 (206,434) 241,762

1984 110,681 (205,751) 261,254

1985 120,059 (176,397) 326,695

1986 101,832 (151,351) 276,064

1987 105,700 (135,041) 284,692

Price certainly did have an impact on the collector base, but I can't see it having a real effect on the remainder copy supply.

It would, if after the first few issues the publishers started noting the decreased sales....the net result would be lower circulation for upcoming issues wouldn't it?

Price increases in the late 70s, especially the 30c and 35c tiers, culled a LOT of kids from the market; myself and my best friend included. Said Paul (a Hulk fan) to me (FF all the way), after returning from our LCS with the first 35c issues of our books, "Two comics for a dollar!?! I can't afford this anymore." We both stopped collecting shortly thereafter.

(afterall, most Marvel fans already knew the stories)

I disagree with "most." At that point it was still very much a kids' market, driven by newsstand sales. My friends and I LOVED the reprint mags because we could get caught up with continuity on the cheap. Comic book shows were just starting up back then, and back issues were very expensive for us. $5? I could buy 20 new comics for that!

I disagree with "most." At that point it was still very much a kids' market, driven by newsstand sales. My friends and I LOVED the reprint mags because we could get caught up with continuity on the cheap. Comic book shows were just starting up back then, and back issues were very expensive for us. $5? I could buy 20 new comics for that!

I'm glad to hear so many folks on the boards chime in positively about these long-ignored beauties...whether in a nostologic sense or as a collectible. Just noticed you live in Redondo Beach...Redondo and Hermosa were two of my favorite beaches to visit when I lived in LA. Sip a Corona for me the next time your getting some sun! thumbsup2.gif

I also received an interesting email from Doug Sulipa regarding the reprints and their scarcity...I'll post a bit of it after I get back from Mega-Con.

Thats a great cover, I may have to look into picking up some of these 'reprints'. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Great. Here we go..... Another bargain type of book about to be swarmed on my forumite wink.gif

Great books, by the way, Jive and Werner.

In case anyone is interested I have a list of Marvel Tales and Marvel Super-Heroes from the 1970's with original covers.... here the are:

MT 34-41,44,63,75,81, and 86

MSH 34,35,41,45,47,49,51,53,54,56,69,71,75,82 and 95

I have lists for most of the other reprint titles and I will post them when I can dig them up. I know I have one for Marvel's Greatest, Triple Action and a few others.

Here is the kind of book I had in mind. Where Monsters Dwell # 21, reprinting the famous Fin Fang Foom issue of Strange Tales # 89. Interestingly, Overstreet does not note this fact in the Guide....somewhat odd considering Finny is the most famous of the Marvel Monsters.

Anyway, after a decade of rumaging through long boxes, I can honestly say I don't recall ever seeing a copy of this book, in any grade. I've always loved the Fin Fang Foom cover and story, so I'm sure it would have stuck out for me if I had, heck, I probably would have bought it as a reader if I did. Then I come upon this book in a recent find of original owner 70s books, and I bought it. I'd welcome input on the book, maybe its a common issue afterall (though a search of current and completed items on eBay doesn't yield one, in any grade).

I'm glad you found a copy - now you don't have to be jealous of my fine specimen!

415952-wmd.jpg

415952-wmd.jpg.e7ea965f15f2976b85a6f596e934c08f.jpg

Picked up today at the Mannheim Comic Show....

mt45.jpg

mta-6.jpg

mta-8.jpg

mta-10.jpg

And the beauty of it is.....when I got them home, these and the others (minus 2) that I bought from the dealer all have the Mark Jewelers insert.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Jim

In case anyone is interested I have a list of Marvel Tales and Marvel Super-Heroes from the 1970's with original covers.... here the are:

MT 34-41,44,63,75,81, and 86

MSH 34,35,41,45,47,49,51,53,54,56,69,71,75,82 and 95

I have lists for most of the other reprint titles and I will post them when I can dig them up. I know I have one for Marvel's Greatest, Triple Action and a few others.

I noticed today that some of the Marvel Tales have had additional art added such as the MT #45 I posted....

Jim

Picked up today at the Mannheim Comic Show....

mt45.jpg

mta-6.jpg

mta-8.jpg

mta-10.jpg

And the beauty of it is.....when I got them home, these and the others (minus 2) that I bought from the dealer all have the Mark Jewelers insert.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Jim

BTW...hate to rub it in but look what I found as a double when I reorganized my books. So...what do you have to offer? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

416031-WMD23a.jpg

416031-WMD23a.jpg.059ce325f9c96e169fb3be8280d40a59.jpg

Need any 20 cent Lois Lanes with MJ insert? I bought a few today.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Define "need". I don't really need any of those issues but who knows! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Got any numbers and grade? sumo.gif

Need any 20 cent Lois Lanes with MJ insert? I bought a few today.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Define "need". I don't really need any of those issues but who knows! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Got any numbers and grade? sumo.gif

Well I don't necessarily need the #23 either as I already have a nice copy.... tongue.gif

I haven't given them the "critical" review yet but they look on the surface to be VF or better. They are LL #125/126/133-135....

Jim

Thought everyone might get a kick out of this potential gem I just picked up. Forgot to snipe it, but was able to work out a deal after the end. Seller swears it has only 1 of the tiniest corner creases. We'll see. This has always been one of my favorite Spidey covers, even as a kid. It always felt like it was flashback to Romita's great '60's covers. Another great original cover on a reprint book.

By the way, Jive, post the message from Sulipa. And meta, if you wouldn't mind sharing the rest of your lists, that would be great. I used to have my own version, but lost it and don't have the time to start comparing covers again.

416080-tales%2044.jpg

589a8be937d48_416080-tales44.jpg.a874116949a9be357aba414b03f345e9.jpg