• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor 156 CGC 10.0 Sells For $5,000.04

54 posts in this topic

clicksmilies17423.png

Honorable mentions:

-DrBanner: $4529.00

-Bachelorofcomix: $5,533.51

Winning guess:

Araich- $4,750

Araich please PM me with your address so I can mail off your prize wink.gif

Thanks to everyone who participated tongue.gif

Here's how it went down for those who are curious. laugh.gif

Bugaboo- $2.00

MOS- $3,500

Comicwiz- $3,985

CGCfan- $4,377.12

DrBanner- $4,529

Araich- $4,750

BachelorOC- $5,533.51

Odin- $6,700

Blowout- $6795.01

Murph0- $7,000

Bronty- $7,125

Lighthouse- $7,385

Darth- $7,472.03

Clarkkentdds- $7,666

Drummy- $8,550

Joanna- $8,753.28

Mudbuddha- $9000

Snizzenfixit- $9,001

eric123- $9,001.54

Spidermanbeyond- $9,027.03

Bronzejunkie- $9.600

ChristopherH- $10,000

FlyingDonut-$ 10,125

Chromium- $10,890

Dungeon- $11,500

rdogg- $11,501

Greggy- $11,502

Cosmicbob- $12,245.45

Comicinvestor- $12,582

Awe4one- $13,750

Jens25e- $14,854

Rival61- $15,385

Mister_comics- $20,000

Yeah, low-feedback ID, no special EBay features, crappy listing with small pic, and a much lower price than I imagined for the oldest 10.0. We all know the Guide is kinda useless with these 10.0 comics, and buyers don't care about the ratio.

It just seems kind of bizarre that one of Darth's 10.0 off-the-shelf pig-agrees would sell for thousands, yet this comic only gets $5K.

Maybe people are finally waking up to the realities of the marketplace or the specs truly have left the house.

Take the zero feedback winner out of the equation & the final price is less then $5000. If I was the winning bidder, I'd flip that baby & make money easily. Perhaps Heritage? Or just re-list it as a featured auction with better pics & have the auction end at night, not Sunday afternoon.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

i really can't beleive the book only went for 5K, especially considering the number of early bids. not much activity at all at the end of the auction.

we've already mentioned how badly the auction was advertised etc but i think it also suffered from bad timing. the hertage auction has just finished (with a ton of choice silver books) and its also darn close to christmas with most people having other financial comitments.

just a few thoughts for anyone else who's thinking of putting a silver cgc 10.0 up on ebay grin.gif

Yep, the timing was bad among many, many other things, but look at the bid history. I don't see any "high rollers" which tends to indicate that the auction was poorly listed. I was certain comiclink would have taken a run at it.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

ONLY $5,000! shocked.gif Nobody won this book. The winning bidder (feedback: ZERO) just signed up on Ebay within 24 hours of the Auction's ending? Someone who's of the inclination to pay 125 times Overstreet on a late Silver age comic isnt already an Ebay member? It's quite obvious what transpired here. Where were all the high rolling 'got to have 9.9 & 10.0 at any cost' crew on this auction? No one is willing to pay 50X, 75X, 100X, 125X guide for CGC 10.0 labels on $45 dollar comics in this hobby/economic climate any longer. That part of the Magic show is over. How many times can you saw the same lady in half before the novelty wears off, when everyone knows how the trick was done? Time for some new form of hype & entertainment.

Maybe things have finally gotten to the point where owning CGC 9.9s & 10.0s at exponential multiples of guide doesnt carry all those bragging rights any longer. Maybe the buyers on these comics, paying for labels more than the comic, are starting to feel more like the cartoon character that suddenly has his head turn into that of a for doing something stupid than feeling very intelligent for doing so.

Hey hammer,

I was wondering if anyone else was going to think this whole zero feedback winner was fishy.

You're right.....he just signed up for eBay yesterday.....and, he won the auction by 4 cents.......LITERALLY.

Look at his bids. He went up by exactly $100 until he was the leading bidder with 4 cents over the next highest bidder.......then he didn't bump his bid up after that.......he just stopped bidding.

Any legitimate buyer that really desired that book would most likely have placed another bid after that last one to insure that he got the book.

Also, he was placing these bids with 15 minutes still left in the auction instead of just going in and sniping it away from someone in the last minute or two. It looks like the bids might have been placed to try to spur some action and last minute bidders.

Sorry.......but something stinks in that auction.

Doesn't the winning bid seem pretty fishy to anyone? We're talking thousands of dollars and the winning bidder won by 4-cents? Either this is a jokster who knew Chuck would go in for $5K, or it was Chuck himself buying the book back, without having to use his real ID.

Seems like the perfect crime to me; get a tax write-off for donating the book (at fair market value of $5,000.04), then buy the book back with a Zero ID and then claim the same $5,000.04 against his operating expenses/inventory.

Plus, if he bought the comic under his real ID, we'd all be wagging our fingers, but this way (if it was him) he's scot free.

I was thinking it was fishy myself CI. See my post up above. And I think you are correct.......this zero feedback bidder could very well be Chuck himself. It may not be, but the whole thing is a little smelly. And the thing about them not marketing the book worth a damn stinks a bit too. Oh well......money for charity is a plus anyway.

Plus, if he bought the comic under his real ID, we'd all be wagging our fingers, but this way (if it was him) he's scot free.

nononon2.gif I suspect we'll find out eventually if the high bidder was legit. A comic like this is bound to re-surface.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

At the very least he could have set the picture(s) up to be supersized, and also put up a scan of the back cover (he also should have got rid of that ugly "mile high comics" they stick on all their pictures to prevent others from stealing their pics, I presume). It would have only cost him .75 cents...talk about being penny-wise, but pound foolish. If he had made it a featured auction (which I agree would have helped attract bidders), it would have run him what...around $22.00 to try and sell a book he hoped would sell for 7-10 thousand?

Even better, he could have gone all the way and spent 99.95 to potentially set the auction up to be featured on ebays homepage. Do you remember if when Jim Lee auctioned himself off (and I think MHC won that auction), it was a featured listing?

I know Chuck would rather give more money to the CBLDF than give ebay a fair amount of money just to list the book for auction, but I sincerely feel the book would have gone for more money, and not to a zero feedback bidder, if he had pried open his wallet for this auction (and considering that he brags about going to a show and spending tens of thousands of dollars for back-stock, I am flabbergasted he was such a cheapskate when it came to trying to sell this 10.0 book).

He completely over-estimated the books ability to sell itself due to it's perfect grade (it this were a 10.0 silver age hulk 1, or x-men 1, or ASM 1, etc., well then, he could have been cheap and watched that book sell for enough to put a perma-smile on the faces of the people who work/volunteer for the CBDLF for a year straight!:) ).

Christopher H.

This auction sure did stink in every way. The seller was a insufficiently_thoughtful_person (ie no feature, stupid pic, etc) and the buyer doesn't seem like a legit one obviously. I am just going to give the prize to the winner as promised and I am hoping for this damn books to resurface with a REAL auction with all of the lil auction goodies (html, large scans, etc).