• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor 156 CGC 10.0 Sells For $5,000.04

54 posts in this topic

My opinion why it sold so low:

1) Bad listing - no HTML, sparkles, run of the mill, ordinary

2) Should have been featured in eBay home page

3) Should have ended on heavy traffic night - comic geeks home on Saturday night! Best time to end it is 8-9:30 PM PST

4) It is Thor, for crissakes...do we see people clamoring about his unrevealed origin? Or his focus as the main character in the X-Men 2 sequel?

5) this is a key issue because...guess nothing there either.

6) Silver Age collectors collect the book not the number. Only Modernites have that obsession with the "it's 9.8 or not worth my time" attitude. Silver Age collectors would be just as happy with an 8.5 VF for a non key issue, and IT'S THOR FOR CRISSAKES!

7) We all knew it was going to be shilled by Mile High, so, regardless of proceeds going to charity, there is something seedy and distasteful about a consignor getting to bid on his own book = SHILLING. I believe this is up there with top 10 comic book crimes by seller - along with undisclosed restoration, improper packing, ending auction early due to lack of bids, not shipping, overgrading, stealing scans and misrepresentation of goods and so on..thus the "big players" decided to shy away from the book.

8) Last but not least, IT"S FRICKIN" THOR FOR CRISSAKES!!!! shocked.gif

I wonder what this selling price is going to do for Reynold Jay's CGC 10.0 Captain Canuck? I mean Thor is far more popular than Captain Canuck and the Thor was a far older book. Is he still going to persist in trying to sell it for $5,000?

Holy .........he wants five grand for a lousy Captain Canuck in 10.0 CGC grade????

I think Captain Crack needs to get off the drugs. That is one of the reasons that I'm hoping for the CGC/Comics crash.........so all the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons will have to wake up and smell their over-priced coffee.

Any thoughts on what the Thor #156 CGC 10.0 would sell for now??? I find the 5K price being from 2002 maybe a bit high(who knows). How many books are now graded 10.0 that are older then the Thor #156(I know about the book from 1949 I that I saw). Is that Thor a 10-15k book? Hard to say being a unique example.

Any thoughts on what the Thor #156 CGC 10.0 would sell for now??? I find the 5K price being from 2002 maybe a bit high(who knows). How many books are now graded 10.0 that are older then the Thor #156(I know about the book from 1949 I that I saw). Is that Thor a 10-15k book? Hard to say being a unique example.

From what I've read, at least 95% of SA is still raw. It's just a matter of time before there are so many 9.8s in the census that people start CPRing those hoping for 9.9s & 10.0s. Some will succeed. That could dilute the value of the existing 10.0s. The 10.0 Thor might still sell for a strong price now, though.