• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Mile High Copy of THAT?

112 posts in this topic

The "List" is in reality a catalog of what was available for sale some months after the collection was purchased and many books had been sold. Unless the folks working on the pedigree book have produced a list, I'm not aware of any more complete list of Church books.

I have a copy of his original list somewhere. Did anyone ever make a pdf of it and post it on the web?

This is the only list I've seen

This thread needs more comics :sumo:

JoJo11.jpg

Pink or white?

Whilte

This one was listed as "NM" in Chuck's original catalog...wondered what happened to it on it's long strange journey to CGC :P

My Spook 22 was listed as NM+ and came back from CGC as an 8.0 Guess the Mile High grading was in effect early on meh

there is no suspense 3 listed on chucks' 1977 catalog list, the other suspense issues are listed

That's what I thought. So why was it omitted from the list, if it really existed?

The "List" is in reality a catalog of what was available for sale some months after the collection was purchased and many books had been sold. Unless the folks working on the pedigree book have produced a list, I'm not aware of any more complete list of Church books.

Yeah, the big books are all missing from the list as well. The Actions start at... 26? I don't have it near me, but there are a lot of obvious holes in the catalog. It could easily be dumb luck that the Suspense 3 isn't on the list. It certainly doesn't make sense that his run would skip the book., considering the completeness of the collection. That'd be reverse dumb luck or something.

I just posted a Timely funny animal so there definitely were some, though not many. The only speculation I've heard of what might be in the other room that seems plausible is that it contained funny animals and other missing pre1953 titles. No one has much information to go on as all we have is what was told to Chuck and it's all long been in the trash heap whatever it was.

It's been 30+ years since it left Chuck's hands and any number of minor defects could have occurred in the interim for either your book on the Spook 22 mentioned by the Watcher.

:gossip: Lovely Schomburg lass

This one was listed as "NM" in Chuck's original catalog...wondered what happened to it on it's long strange journey to CGC :P

This has probably been discussed before, but are there definitive signs that a comic is from the Mile High/Church collection?

I've bought several collections over the years from completists that had some odd books that were in outstanding condition. I'm wondering if they were perhaps from the Church collection, but at the time, the pedigree was not of the importance it is now.

Without an unbroken chain of ownership, is there a sure way to identify the Mile High books?

This has probably been discussed before, but are there definitive signs that a comic is from the Mile High/Church collection?

I've bought several collections over the years from completists that had some odd books that were in outstanding condition. I'm wondering if they were perhaps from the Church collection, but at the time, the pedigree was not of the importance it is now.

Without an unbroken chain of ownership, is there a sure way to identify the Mile High books?

Many have a code written on the cover in pencil or, in the case of the later books, a stamp on the cover. And many have a cedar smell from being kept in a cedar cabinet

Stamp visible in letter "O"

Spook221CHURCH.jpg

Where has it been all this time?

There has been one well-known high grade copy that is now understood to be the Church copy (it has no code so it took some tracing of ownership to determine its origin).

Because Suspense Comics #3 was worth very little back in the 70's to early 80's when the Mile High copy of it was sold, the buyer basically forgot it was the Mile High copy. He probably paid less than $80 for it back then! So...when he sold it years later, it was sold as a regular copy. It has resold several times as a regular copy. Only recently did the original purchaser realise it was the Mile High copy.

Who ever owns it now also would not know it is the Mile High copy.

West

So you are saying it is not Magik's high grade copy that was used for the Photo-Journal guide then?

Quite possible the Disney's were thrown away since those don't seem to be around and quite hard to believe he wouldn't buy those.

Ed

It's been my understanding that he didn't buy any of them because they didn't appeal to him.

That's hard to believe considering all the crappy titles that he DID buy.

It's also not typical of someone with OCD to be so discriminating.