• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting over with a new collection: How would you proceed?

61 posts in this topic

As some of you know, over the last couple of years I've sold off the lion's share of my HG SA ASM collection, and most of my bronze/copper was lost in an unfortunate situation. After a brief hiatus away from these boards, and the hobby as a whole, I've realized that whether I like it or not, comics will always be in the back of my mind, and I enjoy this hobby too much to give it up completely. That being said, my outlook on this hobby has changed drastically, and I think I've found a way to enjoy it again, as a consequence.

So here's my question: knowing everything you know today, if you woke up tomorrow with no books, what approach would you take to start over, assuming you had the same collecting budget? Would you change your buying habits or your focus? Would you buy the best you can afford, or collect below your means? Would you focus in on a niche, or branch out and try other things?

Just to be clear, I've already decided how I personally will proceed with the hobby, so I'm not looking for advice; I'm just interested in hearing how each of you would proceed if you were in my shoes, staring down a pile of empty short boxes.

I would branch out and try new genres, titles, and/or characters. For me, I see it as a case of "Been there, done that". Focusing on a new genre/title/character would get me excited about all aspects of collecting again

I'd decide on the comics that would be the most enjoyable to read, and buy unslabbed extensive runs of them with the nicest eye appeal. The fun is in having really nice looking examples of a bunch of really cool comics with great stories and art. Investments? Try picking stocks and buying real estate investment trust shares, but leave out the comics.

I'd decide on the comics that would be the most enjoyable to read, and buy unslabbed extensive runs of them with the nicest eye appeal. The fun is in having really nice looking examples of a bunch of really cool comics with great stories and art. Investments? Try picking stocks and buying real estate investment trust shares, but leave out the comics.

Many have gained and lost their fortunes in stocks and real estate. Not so many in comics.

I would only buy what I like. I'd avoid buying masses of things I don't like.

As some of you know, over the last couple of years I've sold off the lion's share of my HG SA ASM collection, and most of my bronze/copper was lost in an unfortunate situation. After a brief hiatus away from these boards, and the hobby as a whole, I've realized that whether I like it or not, comics will always be in the back of my mind, and I enjoy this hobby too much to give it up completely. That being said, my outlook on this hobby has changed drastically, and I think I've found a way to enjoy it again, as a consequence.

So here's my question: knowing everything you know today, if you woke up tomorrow with no books, what approach would you take to start over, assuming you had the same collecting budget? Would you change your buying habits or your focus? Would you buy the best you can afford, or collect below your means? Would you focus in on a niche, or branch out and try other things?

Just to be clear, I've already decided how I personally will proceed with the hobby, so I'm not looking for advice; I'm just interested in hearing how each of you would proceed if you were in my shoes, staring down a pile of empty short boxes.

To start for investments just focus on the Marvel Silver age keys pre-1965, not only are they some of the best investments in the comics field but they are also some of the best investments in the whole collectables field,even any CGC LOW grade silver age key will be more valuable 10 years from now. I would start with AF 15 and work my way down or If for fun cherry pick the copper age as there are some gems waiting to be discovered. (thumbs u

Hey AK :hi:

I'm starting from scratch right now. I've decided to collect VF+/- bronze keys . Easy on the wallet and it gives me some focus when I start jonesing to make another comic purchase.

The 1st 3 books in my new collection.... :)

1000X-MEN101.jpg

1000X-MEN108.jpg

1000IF14.jpg

Investments? Try picking stocks and buying real estate investment trust shares, but leave out the comics.

Interesting statement given the respective performance of each over the past decade.

I'd collect better than mid-grade books with covers I like with some long-term investment potential. I'd become more of a topical collector focusing on patriotic/flag covers & blood covers. Some gory horror as well. Cool stuff.

I'd decide on the comics that would be the most enjoyable to read, and buy unslabbed extensive runs of them with the nicest eye appeal.

This is my approach -- but much better and more concisely written above then I could have put it.

Keys. Nothing but keys.

I started out collecting like this, but the funny thing is when you only buy keys you have big holes. Then before you know it your buying up every comic you can find to fill those holes. I cant stop. Im going in 3 different directions at the same time. I love Hulk so I am doing a full run of Hulk and TTA. Then in addition im doing a Key collection and lastly I have found myself looking all over for SA #1s. :whee: