• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Illustration Art Auction Houses

15 posts in this topic

I have been following the last few Heritage IA auctions in an effort to educate myself on this area of the market. What other companies offer auctions of IA? Who are the best dealers? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thx, Mike

I have been following the last few Heritage IA auctions in an effort to educate myself on this area of the market. What other companies offer auctions of IA? Who are the best dealers? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thx, Mike

Off the top of my head, there's Mitch Itkowitz at Graphic Collectibles, Leo at Streamline, Fred Taraba at Taraba Illustration Art and Illustration House.

Illustration House used to be bigger but they have run into financial problems over the past few years.

Inkwell

http://www.inkwellarthouse.com/

Illustrated Gallery

http://illustratedgallery.com/index.php

There is also a for sale selection over at

www.illustration-magazine.com (where I will have an article I've written published in issue # 32 on the "Artists of The Three Investigators" ... plug, plug) :cool:

We definitely need more dealers!

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized you said auction houses! You can occasionally find illustration art in smaller auction houses that aren't even worth listing because they are so few and far between. Heritage pretty much has the market cornered as far as illustration art goes.

I have a full run of Illustration Magazine and will look for your article. The place I have come across is Grapefruit Moon, but have never found anything that interesting (to me anyway). Do Christies and Sothebys have IA auctions?

Mike

I have a full run of Illustration Magazine and will look for your article. The place I have come across is Grapefruit Moon, but have never found anything that interesting (to me anyway). Do Christies and Sothebys have IA auctions?

Mike

Grapefruit Moon has a lot of premium stuff, not a lot of low end or even medium end for that matter ... of course it's priced accordingly and then some! Out of my range.

I thought that Christies and Sotheby's used to do illustration art auctions, but I'm not sure anymore. I haven't seen one in a while if there has been one.

I guess it depends what you consider illustration art. Didn't Christies or Sotheby's auction off Winnie the Pooh art recently? They also seem to have Beatrix Potter from time to time. Perhaps just a sideline for them.

Mike

Illustration art comprises a very broad range--is there a specific area/artists that you're interested in?

I like GGA, but can't afford the more expensive stuff so focus on Humorama type pieces. I just picked up the Dan DeCarlo cartoon in the CLink auction. I also like pulp type illustration, but again can't afford the paintings. I tried to buy the DeSoto sketch in the last Heritage auction but was out bid. I also like children's book art. I'm really wondering what the Charlotte's Web illustrations will sell for in the next heritage auction. Any ideas?

Mike

Illustration art comprises a very broad range--is there a specific area/artists that you're interested in?

I like GGA, but can't afford the more expensive stuff so focus on Humorama type pieces. I just picked up the Dan DeCarlo cartoon in the CLink auction. I also like pulp type illustration, but again can't afford the paintings. I tried to buy the DeSoto sketch in the last Heritage auction but was out bid. I also like children's book art. I'm really wondering what the Charlotte's Web illustrations will sell for in the next heritage auction. Any ideas?

Mike

We'll if you're into Humorama-type art, I'd say the best person to contact would be . . . Me! I've been known to dabble in the genre:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&field-author=Alex%20Chun

Mike

We'll if you're into Humorama-type art, I'd say the best person to contact would be . . . Me! I've been known to dabble in the genre:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&field-author=Alex%20Chun

For what it's worth, Alex gets 5 NotSoNice (thumbs u from . . . Me!

No one works on a more limited budget than myself, and even I was able to work out a deal with Alex for my first several Ward pieces :whee:

Mike

Looks great! (thumbs u