• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highgradecomics.com Baltimore Show report

69 posts in this topic

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs15-mt.htm#2

(Most of this pertains to California (SDCC and WonderCon...)

Paying by Credit Card or Check: What Can Merchants Ask?

Many states have laws that dictate what kind of information merchants can and cannot ask for or write down when a consumer pays with a check or credit card. Those states and their applicable laws are listed at http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs15plus.htm .

The remaining information in this section pertains specifically to California, except for the section entitled “Paying by Credit Card: MasterCard and Visa Rules,” which applies nationwide.

Two California laws limit the collection of personal information by merchants when you pay by credit card or check. These laws were enacted to prevent fraud and limit the amount of personal information which can be collected by merchants.

When a consumer pays with a credit card, the merchant cannot record any personal information other than what is on the front of the credit card. (California Civil Code § 1747.08).

When a consumer pays with a check, the merchant cannot record the credit card number. (California Civil Code § 1725).

What personal information can’t a merchant collect when a consumer pays with a credit card?

Merchants cannot request or require that the consumer write any personal information, including address and telephone number, on any form associated with the credit card transaction when the consumer uses a credit card to pay for goods or services.

In addition, the merchant cannot ask the consumer to provide personal information that the merchant then records.

Merchants cannot use forms with pre-printed spaces for personal information.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. A merchant can collect personal information when:

The credit card is used as a deposit.

The credit card is used for a cash advance.

The personal information is needed for something incidental but related to the use of the credit card. An example would be the address to which the purchased product is to be shipped.

The merchant is required to collect information under a federal law or regulation.

California law does not prohibit a merchant from requiring a consumer who pays for goods or services by credit card to show identification such as a California driver’s license or California ID. If these are not available, another form of photo identification can be required to be shown. But merchants cannot write or record any information from these documents. As we explain in the next section, the major credit card company rules provide that merchants cannot make showing identification a condition of credit card acceptance.

Merchants can record the cardholder’s driver’s license number or identification card number on any form associated with the transaction if the cardholder pays with a credit card but does not provide the credit card. An example is if you are at a department store and forget your credit card but want to charge something to your account.

This is Maryland's Law

Article - Commercial Law

§ 13-317.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, as a condition of accepting a credit card or device as payment for consumer credit, goods, realty, or services, a person may not record the address or telephone number of the credit card holder.

(b) A person may record the address or telephone number of a credit card holder if:

(1) The information is necessary for:

(i) The shipping, delivery, or installation of consumer goods; or

(ii) Special orders of consumer goods or services;

(2) Authorization from the credit card issuer as to the availability of credit is not required by the issuer to complete the credit card transaction; or

(3) The person processes credit card transactions by mailing transaction forms to a designated bankcard center for settlement.

© A person accepting a credit card or device as payment for consumer credit, goods, realty, or services may request that the credit card holder display a form of identification.

http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gcl/13-317.html

Are you crying!?!?! there's no crying in comic dealing

lump_answer_10_xlarge.jpg

Hey C-man,how you doing brother. :hi:

pretty good my friend, just flew back into town from the show...need to post more since i have a few days off hm

Since it was mentioned.... I have to ask.

How many comic book dealers are using handhelds (like the iPhone, Blackberry or Droid) to swipe credit cards?

And would that increase sales?

I for one would like to know what this costs

With https://squareup.com/features (SquareUp), it seems to be like Paypal...

Card-present (swiped) rate 2.75% + 15¢

Card-not-present (keyed-in) rate 3.5% + 15¢

Otherwise, there seems to be no costs.

(I haven't used it but it's intriguing.)

True, documentation that the card is not stolen seems to be lacking... but I'm not sure how you could verify it in person anyway. They want to pay by CC, you ask them to write down their info. They write down a fake address (or the actual billing address) and they walk away with the comic.

-Shin

Shin, isn't there a (add-on) card reader that attaches to the device that allows you to swipe the card right on the iPhone/Blackberry/Android? Any idea what that costs?

square.jpg

Well, this is all well and good. If a person doesn't want to provide some kind of contact information if there is a problem than frankly we can handle it another way.

I don't have to sell them the item. He could have given me $25 in cash.

Merchants have very little recourse regarding fraud. I like to limit my risks as much as possible and as I stated earlier I've already experienced multiple cases this past year.

...I'm more shocked that someone paid $275.00 for an ASM #129 VF,.... :o

It could have been worse. It could have been a JLA.

:eek:

Well, this is all well and good. If a person doesn't want to provide some kind of contact information if there is a problem than frankly we can handle it another way.

Merchants have very little recourse regarding fraud. I like to limit my risks as much as possible and as I stated earlier I've already experienced multiple cases this past year.

And therein lies the issue; if you refuse to accept their CC without being able to record their ID your bank can yank your account. The same goes for charging a credit card surcharge (thus the "cash discount").

To protect yourself you are supposed to call in for an authorization number while the card is in your possession. If you get an auth # from the bank you are supposedly covered.

...I'm more shocked that someone paid $275.00 for an ASM #129 VF,.... :o

It could have been worse. It could have been a JLA.

:eek:

....don't dis the Rocketeer JLA's,... (tsk)....they ruled when they were together,...

And therein lies the issue; if you refuse to accept their CC without being able to record their ID your bank can yank your account. The same goes for charging a credit card surcharge (thus the "cash discount").

To protect yourself you are supposed to call in for an authorization number while the card is in your possession. If you get an auth # from the bank you are supposedly covered.

Well, that's BS. If the card turns out to be stolen, then your authorization number isn't worth a hill of beans.

I was about to call in the authorization number when the finger pointer went off.

I call in all my cards and I write down information in case I have problems 30-45 days down the road which I have experienced twice in the last 6 months.

The credit card companies and police departments sure weren't quoting me the law when I was able to provide all the information that was given to me.

Well, that's BS. If the card turns out to be stolen, then your authorization number isn't worth a hill of beans.

Guess things have changed since I was in retail.

I was about to call in the authorization number when the finger pointer went off.

I call in all my cards and I write down information in case I have problems 30-45 days down the road which I have experienced twice in the last 6 months.

The credit card companies and police departments sure weren't quoting me the law when I was able to provide all the information that was given to me.

I hear ya. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to write that down. Well, Mr. Policeman, sir, if you go get that guy and bring him here I'll apologize to him for violating his privacy."

And why was this not brought to the attention of the other "families" at the show??

:grin:

Probably because the Long Island family and Brooklyn family are on the outs right now :shy:

The Don is trying to decide if we seek revenge or live with restitution/compensation for the shame that has been brought on "our" family.

Jim

Long Island and Brooklyn have stronger ties to each other than the Labatts Blue and Maple Syrup syndicate.

How many comic book dealers are using handhelds (like the iPhone, Blackberry or Droid) to swipe credit cards?

With https://squareup.com/features'>https://squareup.com/features (SquareUp), it seems to be like Paypal...

True, documentation that the card is not stolen seems to be lacking... but I'm not sure how you could verify it in person anyway. They want to pay by CC, you ask them to write down their info. They write down a fake address (or the actual billing address) and they walk away with the comic.

-Shin

Shin, isn't there a (add-on) card reader that attaches to the device that allows you to swipe the card right on the iPhone/Blackberry/Android? Any idea what that costs?

square.jpg

That's what that SquareUp thing is. It attaches to the AUDIO port and becomes a credit card swiper.

https://squareup.com/

Apparently, no Merchant Account needed too. (The dongle is free and part of the service.)

With https://squareup.com/features'>https://squareup.com/features (SquareUp), it seems to be like Paypal...

-Shin

square.jpg

That's what that SquareUp thing is. It attaches to the AUDIO port and becomes a credit card swiper.

https://squareup.com/

Apparently, no Merchant Account needed too. (The dongle is free and part of the service.)

out of context member quote material

Need to get a Nurit 8000. Which is basically a wireless credit card terminal. I have used one for over 2 years and never had the first problem. Will cost you 800 - 900.00, but well worth the investment in my opinion. I also save money when the card is swiped as opposed to calling in for authorization.