• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highgradecomics.com Baltimore Show report

69 posts in this topic

Need to get a Nurit 8000. Which is basically a wireless credit card terminal. I have used one for over 2 years and never had the first problem. Will cost you 800 - 900.00, but well worth the investment in my opinion. I also save money when the card is swiped as opposed to calling in for authorization.

Agree totally. I have had one for two years now and it paid for itself after my first show.

P.S. I got a friend who deals in merchant services who gives good rates too.

Since it was mentioned.... I have to ask.

How many comic book dealers are using handhelds (like the iPhone, Blackberry or Droid) to swipe credit cards?

And would that increase sales?

I for one would like to know what this costs

With https://squareup.com/features'>https://squareup.com/features (SquareUp), it seems to be like Paypal...

Card-present (swiped) rate 2.75% + 15¢

Card-not-present (keyed-in) rate 3.5% + 15¢

Otherwise, there seems to be no costs.

(I haven't used it but it's intriguing.)

True, documentation that the card is not stolen seems to be lacking... but I'm not sure how you could verify it in person anyway. They want to pay by CC, you ask them to write down their info. They write down a fake address (or the actual billing address) and they walk away with the comic.

-Shin

Shin, isn't there a (add-on) card reader that attaches to the device that allows you to swipe the card right on the iPhone/Blackberry/Android? Any idea what that costs?

square.jpg

That's what that SquareUp thing is. It attaches to the AUDIO port and becomes a credit card swiper.

https://squareup.com/

Apparently, no Merchant Account needed too. (The dongle is free and part of the service.)

That opens new doors for drug dealers everywhere.... :eek:

lol, I'm crying right now while begging my wife for sex

That isn't so bad, it's when she requires additional ID & references that it starts to get humiliating.

Or when you cry during.

That's from the pepper spray :gossip:

I was about to call in the authorization number when the finger pointer went off.

I call in all my cards and I write down information in case I have problems 30-45 days down the road which I have experienced twice in the last 6 months.

The credit card companies and police departments sure weren't quoting me the law when I was able to provide all the information that was given to me.

Hi Bob - I feel you on this matter. In almost 20 years of high-volume retail business, one thing I've learned is to have my people get authorization AND identification on all sales to unfamiliar CC paying customers. Many people don't realize the ridiculous fees which we incur on these transactions in the first place, without the added chance of getting outright robbed. Fool me once, shame on you...yada yada.

This guy was just every definition of CGC's interpretation of a "spoon." Enjoy the rest of your summer and I'll see you at the next Essington gathering.

As we explain in the next section, the major credit card company rules provide that merchants cannot make showing identification a condition of credit card acceptance.

------------

except that nearly every merchant asks for ID, at least above a certain dollar amount (and sometimes always)

CC companies demanding otherwise is practically inviting fraud

i understand that garnering this information can be used for fraudulent purposes, but it seems bizarre to me that a merchant can't keep a database of who he sold to (I guess he could just have names, but "John Smith" would be kindah useless). if someone doesn't want to give the info, they don't have to buy.

Well, this is all well and good. If a person doesn't want to provide some kind of contact information if there is a problem than frankly we can handle it another way.

I don't have to sell them the item. He could have given me $25 in cash.

Merchants have very little recourse regarding fraud. I like to limit my risks as much as possible and as I stated earlier I've already experienced multiple cases this past year.

And therein lies the issue; if you refuse to accept their CC without being able to record their ID your bank can yank your account. The same goes for charging a credit card surcharge (thus the "cash discount").

To protect yourself you are supposed to call in for an authorization number while the card is in your possession. If you get an auth # from the bank you are supposedly covered.

Well, that's BS. If the card turns out to be stolen, then your authorization number isn't worth a hill of beans.

Which is why you swipe the card. If the card is swiped and you get an auth number, you get payment no matter what. The consumer cannot dispute the charge. He can report the card stolen but then the charges would be the responsibility of the card company. If you call in the card or hand key the number on line it is recorded as "card not present". You will get an auth number but that transaction is one a consumer can dispute. Then the merchant has to prove the product was delivered to the card holder. Billing address, zip, and the CID code number will help protect the merchant but are not 100%.

There are so many wireless and smart phone devices at this time a merchant should only accept cards with the card present outside of internet or phone orders. And then my advice is be careful.