• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Pedigree-Grail Type of Day – Pacific Coast Hulk 1

68 posts in this topic

Winging its way over to me in Hong Kong is the latest addition to my Marvel 1961-1965 8.0+ project – Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 8.0 – the Pacific Coast copy. I apologize for taking up real estate on the front page but I feel a book like this deserves a thread of its own.

I am psyched to be getting this book as it is one of 5 personal grails I have wanted a nice copy of (the others being AF 15, ASM 1, Tec 27 (likely unattainable) and Magnus 1). That it is from likely the most extensive pedigree collection of Silver Age books makes it a really nice fit into the project. I am also happy that I can stop bidding on the book as I was the under bidder on the last 3 Hulk 1’s in the same condition that have come to auction. The only negative associated with the book is it cost me more than any other comic I have ever purchased.

I am trying learn more about the history of the book since it came to market when the Pacific Coast collection was discovered so any feedback from those with information either in this thread or by PM would be appreciated. I know that it was at originally in a CGC 8.5 slab but has been resubmitted (more than once I believe – would be interested in knowing how many times) and has come back as 8.0 each time. While the front cover is comparable to a 9.0 book the back cover has a barely noticeable color breaking crease (even though the color is white) making it comparable to a 7.0 and the crease cannot be pressed out. (I am happy about this as I care far more about the front cover I doubt I could have afforded the book if it was an 8.5). I am curious to about how many hands this book went through since it was discovered. Barring any unforeseen circumstances it is likely going to be attached to my project for quite a while.

Here is the scan of the book provided by the seller. I’ll scan it myself when the FedEx package arrives in Hong Kong in a couple days’ time.

Hulk1CGC8OW-PacificCoast.jpg

It presents so well and is just a very pretty book. I am quite happy to have been able to reach a deal last week to acquire it :banana:

I remember that book very well. It's a beautiful book! Congrats! :applause:

That's cause I kept calling you at CGC to talk to you about it.

:makepoint:

Congrats!

Board member clobberintime (Rob Z) used to own this book. I seem to recall him starting a thread about it, or at least making a post, when he bought it, but I can't find it.

Here's a thread where the book is talked about:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=640466&fpart=5

Hope this helps. I remember seeing a lot of talk about this book over the years, I just can't find it all at the moment.

I could be wrong, but I think Marc Schrueder bought the book from PCE and Robert Roter when the PC collection was first brought to the market.

Roter graded it a NM- 75. It was listed for $9520 (with the seller's commission).

As you know, the book was originally graded a 8.5 by CGC. Then subsequently downgraded on resubmission. I think the book has changed hands several times since then.

Congratulations on the purchase. It's a beautiful book.

As you know, the book was originally graded a 8.5 by CGC. Then subsequently downgraded on resubmission. I think the book has changed hands several times since then.

GRATS on the great book! (thumbs u

Yea it's been up for sale a bunch of times, and Zipperer did used to own it, but I think he upgraded to a 9.0 hence him selling this one. It supposedly has a long, non-color-breaking crease on the back cover that's unpressable, but I haven't seen a back cover scan to know what it looks like. Post some big scans when you get it! :wishluck:

Congrats!

Board member clobberintime (Rob Z) used to own this book. I seem to recall him starting a thread about it, or at least making a post, when he bought it, but I can't find it.

Here's a thread where the book is talked about:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=640466&fpart=5

Hope this helps. I remember seeing a lot of talk about this book over the years, I just can't find it all at the moment.

Thanks for the link to the thread on the Northland Hulk 1.

I had actually read the old Pacifc Coast Hulk 1 thread before making the purchase. I think it is this thread you are refering to

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=3153778&Searchpage=3&Main=159601&Words=%26quot%3BPacific+Coast%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post3153778

I could be wrong, but I think Marc Schrueder bought the book from PCE and Robert Roter when the PC collection was first brought to the market.

Roter graded it a NM- 75. It was listed for $9520 (with the seller's commission).

Congratulations on the purchase. It's a beautiful book.

Thanks for the info. Wish I had purchased it for the original price all those years ago.