• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Self imposed 3 month comic fast

50 posts in this topic

If I could, I'd like to share my experience with fasting.

I believe that fasting is a terrific thing to do when done properly and in short durations.

(thumbs u

I believe that our bodies and minds were made with the need to take a break once in a while from everything. It's tough to do until you break the old patterns but once you do, and you adapt to a new way of doing things it's quite refreshing.

As an illustration, our bodies need to process food to stay alive but what most people don't realize is that processing food is actually a burden on the body. It takes, work and effort and it tires the body out. Think about when you lose your appetite during a cold or a flu. It's possible that the body stops looking for food because it needs to use that energy that once went to processing food and turn it to a more important use.

Likewise with mental fasting, we temporarily cut out the things that tire us out to refresh ourselves to be able to attack them again, but with more precision and control.

I used to fast one day a week and felt like a king on that day. Don't know why but it made me feel euphoric.

Consider it a mini vacation.

:cloud9:

Anyhow, here endeth the lesson. :insane:

Good luck on your new path!

:applause:

Mike,

Always good to recognize when it is time to take a break and take it. Hopefully your comic fast will not mean no Steelhead Brewery lunches :wishluck:

No..... I'm still up for that Royce. I'm not cutting out "ALL" beer drinking :grin: ... just making some changes.

As an illustration, our bodies need to process food to stay alive but what most people don't realize is that processing food is actually a burden on the body. It takes, work and effort and it tires the body out.

I agree with everything you said except the bit about processing food tiring the body out. How can one possibly measure this? My understanding is that digestion is largely a chemical process. Yes, the more you eat, the more chemicals the body is forced to keep cranking out, but relatively speaking, this has to be one of the least taxing things a body has to do. It requires no active muscle work, and it's involuntary, so I can't see it having a mental drain. Unless you're laying in bed all day long on a fasting day, I can't see the fasting itself saving anything compared to whatever light physical activity you'd end up doing that same day.

I can absolutely see the mental aspect of resisting temptation, instilling discipline, etc. being of benefit. (thumbs u

Thank you for the wisdom wise grasshoppa... (thumbs u

The trick is actually implementing it. I'm still working on it.

lol

Its true Roy ..... and the self discipline is a reward in itself.

As an illustration, our bodies need to process food to stay alive but what most people don't realize is that processing food is actually a burden on the body. It takes, work and effort and it tires the body out.

I agree with everything you said except the bit about processing food tiring the body out. How can one possibly measure this? My understanding is that digestion is largely a chemical process. Yes, the more you eat, the more chemicals the body is forced to keep cranking out, but relatively speaking, this has to be one of the least taxing things a body has to do. It requires no active muscle work, and it's involuntary, so I can't see it having a mental drain. Unless you're laying in bed all day long on a fasting day, I can't see the fasting itself saving anything compared to whatever light physical activity you'd end up doing that same day.

I can absolutely see the mental aspect of resisting temptation, instilling discipline, etc. being of benefit. (thumbs u

I don't know how scientific this is but I have noticed how active and lively my cats get when they havn't been fed. They jump around, run, play, hunt.....they have all kinds of energy. And when I have done eating fasts ..... I have noticed increased energies as well.

Course I'm going on a comic book buying, computer game playing, ......beer drinking fast. I'll probably get alot of gardening done these next 3 months.

I know that I can't scientifically prove it as a layman but I absolutely, unequivocally believe that eating puts a strain on the body. A small strain where the +'s outweigh the -'s but a strain none the less.

First off, there must be muscular movement when digesting. From the mouth moving while chewing, to the muscles that move the food down to the stomach, to the stomach itself to the muscle movement that moves the food through the entire GI tact until it moves it out through the bowel. I believe that's one of the reasons you don't get get a peaceful night's rest when sleeping on a full stomach as the body is working while the mind is trying to rest.

Even chemical reactions take an effort on the body. It takes effort on the part of the body to moderate that chemical reaction. We just are desensitized to all those efforts and feelings because it's considered "normal".

One example that comes to mind is when you drink caffeine or take a lot of sugar (or take another drug) that boosts the adrenals and/or energy levels of the body and once that adrenaline is gone you are wiped. Even if you just spent the entire afternoon just watching a movie while being "pumped" you still feel exhausted after the rush is gone.

That's why I think energy drinks are a bad idea. They are simply temporary boosts of energy that tire the body out in the long run.

Senormac's example of how animals act is another great example. Animals and children (when healthy) regulate their own food intake and sometimes they will go without eating for a time simply because their bodies need a break from food for whatever reason. I think as adult humans, we tend to condition and program ourselves to eat even when we are not hungry...simply out of habit (or because we are too busy and stressed to think about as let's face it, it's a busy life)...and we deprogram or lose touch with that ability to push away food when it's not actually necessary.

If you've never food fasted you need to try it. It will change your mind about everything we're talking about.

The act of buying something new is a euphoric feeling that can turn to an addiction.

We all know that buying comics can become an addiction (like anything) that can end up hurting your family, your bank account, your friendships, etc.

Everything in moderation is best. Since getting married and having children all of my hobbies have been tempered by balancing what I can afford and what is realistic versus giving into temptation from buying all those great things.

There have been so many books on this site that I have wanted to own...but I know I would be stretching the boundaries of what is acceptable to my lifestyle. My wife and kids come first and then my hobbies come next.

I'm a firm believer in not buying anything that involves time payments, credit card payments, etc. If you can't afford to pay it off within 30 days...it's probably best to hold off until you can truly pay for it in a timely manner.

Taking a break from anything can be a cleansing experience. Plus, it leaves more comics on the market for me! lol

I know that I can't scientifically prove it as a layman but I absolutely, unequivocally believe that eating puts a strain on the body. A small strain where the +'s outweigh the -'s but a strain none the less.

First off, there must be muscular movement when digesting. From the mouth moving while chewing, to the muscles that move the food down to the stomach, to the stomach itself to the muscle movement that moves the food through the entire GI tact until it moves it out through the bowel. I believe that's one of the reasons you don't get get a peaceful night's rest when sleeping on a full stomach as the body is working while the mind is trying to rest.

Even chemical reactions take an effort on the body. It takes effort on the part of the body to moderate that chemical reaction. We just are desensitized to all those efforts and feelings because it's considered "normal".

One example that comes to mind is when you drink caffeine or take a lot of sugar (or take another drug) that boosts the adrenals and/or energy levels of the body and once that adrenaline is gone you are wiped. Even if you just spent the entire afternoon just watching a movie while being "pumped" you still feel exhausted after the rush is gone.

That's why I think energy drinks are a bad idea. They are simply temporary boosts of energy that tire the body out in the long run.

Senormac's example of how animals act is another great example. Animals and children (when healthy) regulate their own food intake and sometimes they will go without eating for a time simply because their bodies need a break from food for whatever reason. I think as adult humans, we tend to condition and program ourselves to eat even when we are not hungry...simply out of habit (or because we are too busy and stressed to think about as let's face it, it's a busy life)...and we deprogram or lose touch with that ability to push away food when it's not actually necessary.

If you've never food fasted you need to try it. It will change your mind about everything we're talking about.

Well, you do actually burn calories/use energy in the digestive process (even if that process is bringing in more calories). Some foods supposedly take more calories to digest than they have in them. I have heard this about some grapefruit and may be true of celery.

If there's any wearing out of the body I think it comes more from the release of waste materials. Lord knows I have eaten some things that have caused me to visit the bathroom so many times it was certainly exhausting and my colon and associated parts were screaming "no mas, please, no mas!"

As for a comic fast, please, not everyone at once! I need to sell a bunch of stuff to help pay for some home repair costs!

The problem with fasting, at least when done for too long or done improperly, is that the body begins to think that food may be in short supply. If food is hard to come by, thus the fast, then it adapts by storing calories differently. This could lead to the body storing more fat in preparation for the next time food is in such short supply.

But I'm with r1970d, if done right, it can make you feel fanbloodytastic. Especially when you include a salt water flush with it.

I can make comparisons to fasting with collectibles. If done right, it can be refreshing and give you a new outlook on your hobbies. But if done incorrectly, it can lead to a binge on the other side of the fast, which would put you in a worse spot then where you were before.

A big part of it is what you eat, how much you eat, and when you eat.

Eat small balanced meals filled with good foods 5x a day before 7pm, and your energy levels will skyrocket.

I have done the same thing and I am just starting to read the boards again. I finally had enough of Marvel and DC moderns screwing us over. Seems like every year they do a BIG event that makes us read/buy a pile of extra books. The worst part is that it usually ends up being stupid and a big waste of money. Anyhow I stopped buying and reading comics for 3-4 months and now I am starting to have interest again. I am reading some of my old back issue favorites and trying a few new things (Locke and Key) but I still have not started buying all the moderns I did 6 months ago (15-20 titles).

Burn out happens, a short break will either refresh you or show you that you don't really care about it anymore. Some return some don't. As long as you are happy then that is all that matters.

Yea...... I had to do it. I've come to the place where I've realised I need to disconnnect for awhile. I'll still browse the forums and post a bit....... say HI...make a comment or two.... but I have deleted ALL ebay acution bookmarks and comic searches. I won't be searching the COMIC LINK auctions..... the HERITAGE auctions....... or the EBAY auctions..... OR the sales threads........ until Dec. 1, 2010 .... or maybe January.

My time and money just need to go in other directions for awhile and I have realised that I will NEVER catch up on all the cool books I would like to own. Its not a race....... its a hobby and I need to be having fun doing it and being involved in it....not being tormented by it. Sometimes...... I see so many......SO MANY books that I just want to get ...... and the only way to do it is to disconnect from the real world of family, responsibilities, and home improvements...... and go after them. That is not the answer or correct decision. I'm really happy to have met whoever around here considers me a friend....... but my sig line books.......... are going to look like that for the next 3 months. That is if I have the strength. I love old comics......... I sometimes don't know why they are so cool to me...... I just love them.

I think it will mostly be ok....cuz not too many people really give a rip about Plastic Man......and that leaves me alot of room to move.

Anyways....... just wanted to say it/type it out....... cuz I needed to. I'm also cutting out my computer gaming....... and cutting WAY back on my beer drinking. What does this mean ?? Nothing......... its just a fast. And that can only be a good thing.......especially when its over and I come back and buy something......woo hoo........ Looking forward to that day.

Thanks to anyone who has read all this rambling......... and might actually even comment something supportive....... Peace to you......

and in the meantime.... :popcorn:

I can relate.....I'm kind of in that boat also. What I've done with my collection is to only have a copy or two of my favorite titles and rely on reprints for the rest. I hope you'll continue to "hang out"......you're cool. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Sometimes I'll sell a book that I find myself not paying as much attention to and use the funds for another. I've long since accepted the fact I'll never have them all lol

The problem with fasting, at least when done for too long or done improperly, is that the body begins to think that food may be in short supply. If food is hard to come by, thus the fast, then it adapts by storing calories differently. This could lead to the body storing more fat in preparation for the next time food is in such short supply.

But I'm with r1970d, if done right, it can make you feel fanbloodytastic. Especially when you include a salt water flush with it.

I can make comparisons to fasting with collectibles. If done right, it can be refreshing and give you a new outlook on your hobbies. But if done incorrectly, it can lead to a binge on the other side of the fast, which would put you in a worse spot then where you were before.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Virgo!

(thumbs u

A big part of it is what you eat, how much you eat, and when you eat.

Eat small balanced meals filled with good foods 5x a day before 7pm, and your energy levels will skyrocket.

True enough, for some people. I personally eat two meals a day...one at mid day and one in the evening.