• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For me, The Copper Age began....

129 posts in this topic

I should also qualify that list, as it's a combination of BA ends/CA begins events and issues as agreed upon by various forum members in a long-running thread.

Vince, do you have a link to this thread? I'd like to read it.

And I have to agree, by 1982-1983, events were occurring that signified a change had taken place.

What about the Alan Moore Warrior issues? What year was that?

Just found it, which was 1982-1985.

I wish I could buy all those books one day.

Warrior is fantastic. I bought every issue off the shelf and would heartily recommend them to anyone.

First Moore Marvelman & V for Vendetta.

The Moore writing style that pre-dates Watchmen & his Swamp Thing run.

From what I have heard, December 1982 is the cutoff for Bronze.

Then you need to hear more, as these books are almost universally recognized as Copper:

March 1982: Warrior Magazine #1 (Marvelman, V for Vendetta)

May 1982: Saga of the Swamp Thing #1

June 1982: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1

June 1982: Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions #1 (first Marvel Mini, precursor to Secret Wars)

Sept 1982: Love and Rockets debuts

Sept 1982: Wolverine Mini #1

Alan Moore and Warrior are a truly seminal moment in CA history, as is Love and Rockets and the Wolvie Mini.

This is spot on.

From what I have heard, December 1982 is the cutoff for Bronze.

Then you need to hear more, as these books are almost universally recognized as Copper:

March 1982: Warrior Magazine #1 (Marvelman, V for Vendetta)

May 1982: Saga of the Swamp Thing #1

June 1982: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1

June 1982: Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions #1 (first Marvel Mini, precursor to Secret Wars)

Sept 1982: Love and Rockets debuts

Sept 1982: Wolverine Mini #1

Alan Moore and Warrior are a truly seminal moment in CA history, as is Love and Rockets and the Wolvie Mini.

This is spot on.

+ 1.......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Except that Warrior was a British magazine, and it wasn't until Alan Moore was a good 4-5 issues in on Swamp Thing, in early-mid-ish 1984, that he became recognized as a really good writer. 99% of the North American readership had never heard of "Marvelman", Moore OR Anglo version, and would not until 1985. Like it or not, the US comics industry completely dominated the rest of the world.

I am not dismissing Warrior. I'm only stating what was.

I can see something like this at the moment: Silver age - 1956 to 1971 (2?) , Bronze 1971(2?)- 198(2?), Copper 1982(3?)- 1991(2?)

in time we can possibly see this : silver age 1956- 197(5?), Bronze 1975(6?)- 1985(6?) , Copper 1986(7?)-1996(7?)

One thing for sure is that the time frame will expand

I can see something like this at the moment: Silver age - 1956 to 1971 (2?) , Bronze 1971(2?)- 198(2?), Copper 1982(3?)- 1991(2?)

in time we can possibly see this : silver age 1956- 197(5?), Bronze 1975(6?)- 1985(6?) , Copper 1986(7?)-1996(7?)

I beg to differ...

No way will Silver expand into the 70s... if anything I would pull it back to 1968, with Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D #1, Sub-Mariner #1, Captain America #100, House of Mystery #175, House of Secrets #81, and Green Lantern #76.

Bronze might expand backwards, and Copper might expand forwards, but Silver is never gonna get out of the sixties, and no reason it should.

I beg to differ...

No way will Silver expand into the 70s... if anything I would pull it back to 1968, with Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D #1, Sub-Mariner #1, Captain America #100, House of Mystery #175, House of Secrets #81, and Green Lantern #76.

Bronze might expand backwards, and Copper might expand forwards, but Silver is never gonna get out of the sixties, and no reason it should.

perhaps but do not forget the style of many Marvel titles in 1970 (especially) are just an extended feeling from the 60s. I doubt that 1969 will be considered Bronze, ever.

I wouldnt be surprised in years to come if all 10 cent books (up to 1961 ) would be considered Golden age. I am not saying within this generation but maybe down the line it could happen. They will have to expand the time frame, if they dont what will be the age name for say the period between 2030 to 2040 ? or 2040 to 2050? the tin age ?

I beg to differ...

perhaps but do not forget the style of many Marvel titles in 1970 (especially) are just an extended feeling from the 60s. I doubt that 1969 will be considered Bronze, ever.

I think it may depend entirely on what you collect... I consider the earliest Bronze Age precursor book to be Creepy #1, followed by Eerie #2, then Zap Comics #1 in 1967, and then my mainstream Bronze boxes start with the titles I listed above... I've never been a Silver Age collector, and consequently, any sixties books in my collection are either hold-overs from the Atom Age, or precursors of the Bronze Age.

However, if you collect purely Marvel, and that is what you base all of your perceptions on, then, yeah, the Silver Age might have lasted well, well into the seventies... But, even then, you have to acknowledge the impact of Conan #1 in 1970, and Nick Fury getting his own series in 1968, and Doctor Strange and Sub-Mariner and Hulk and Captain America... umm, on second thought, I think maybe a Marvel collector might be MORE likely to roll Bronze back to '68...

I wouldnt be surprised in years to come if all 10 cent books (up to 1961 ) would be considered Golden age. I am not saying within this generation but maybe down the line it could happen. They will have to expand the time frame, if they dont what will be the age name for say the period between 2030 to 2040 ? or 2040 to 2050? the tin age ?

I truly think the Golden Age ended with World War II, and that will never change... the Atom Age expanding up to Fantastic Four #1 I can totally get behind, though.

As for the future... I think there might be a "second Golden Age" of digital comics beginning with the first scan to be distributed on a BB back in 1989... but, paper comics... nah, the digital age is upon us, whether we're ready for it or not.

The atom age will eventually be integrated with the Golden age (many just look at it that way even now). 1955 might very well be the end of the Ga period in time.

I really doubt Bronze will leap into the 60s. Time frames move forward because there is a starting point. 1970 to many is considered the very last year of silver even now.

Except that Warrior was a British magazine, and it wasn't until Alan Moore was a good 4-5 issues in on Swamp Thing, in early-mid-ish 1984, that he became recognized as a really good writer. 99% of the North American readership had never heard of "Marvelman", Moore OR Anglo version, and would not until 1985. Like it or not, the US comics industry completely dominated the rest of the world.

I'm not saying that Warrior had any influence over the US comics industry, apart from the fact that it was Moore's work there, and to a lesser extent on 2000 AD, that got him noted by the industry in the US.

And if people are going to make the argument that his stint on Swamp Thing had a significant influence on the way comics were written in the US you have to see the origins of that style in his Warrior work.

I'm not saying that Warrior had any influence over the US comics industry, apart from the fact that it was Moore's work there, and to a lesser extent on 2000 AD, that got him noted by the industry in the US.

And you can thank Karen Berger for that.

And if people are going to make the argument that his stint on Swamp Thing had a significant influence on the way comics were written in the US you have to see the origins of that style in his Warrior work.

That goes without saying. I have often maintained that Miracleman...not Swamp Thing, not Watchmen, not Killing Joke...is the greatest thing Moore ever wrote, and its origins are in Warrior.

That goes without saying. I have often maintained that Miracleman...not Swamp Thing, not Watchmen, not Killing Joke...is the greatest thing Moore ever wrote, and its origins are in Warrior.

I agree totally, only it's Marvelman. That's his original name, that's his name in Warrior and that's his name now.

I agree totally, only it's Marvelman. That's his original name, that's his name in Warrior and that's his name now.

Not for me. Sorry, but for a certain segment of us, it's Miracleman, for better, worse, or other.