• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100 Bullets is damn good, what else?

20 posts in this topic

I haven't bought a comic off the shelf in years. Recently, while manga-hunting for my wife in my LCS, I got into a sort of "good old days" conversation with the owner. He had a pile of 100 Bullets TPBs and recommended the series. So I bought the first one.

Holy cow, this series is good. I can honestly say that I haven't read a comic book series this compelling since Sandman. The art didn't grab me at first, but then I began to realize that this isn't the sort of book that is pretty to look at, and also a good read, like art & story are two separate entities that just happen to be between the same covers. The art actually works with the text, and helps tell the tale.

I'm willing to give the ol' shelf a second look. Seems like there's a million titles out there, got to be another good one, right?

I know some people around here will have a fit when they read this, but I think comics today are better than they've ever been quality-wise and, for me at least, that's been the case for a few years. I'll offer some recommendations later, I just wanted to mention that.

To help out with that process- what sort of comics do you think are good? What artists, writers and titles?

...I think comics today are better than they've ever been quality-wise...

I agree 100%. The overall quality of stories that can be found in comics today is the best they have ever been. Are there junk books out there? Of course. But there is a very good selection of top quality stuff as well. It does not matter what genre you are interested in, there is something out there worth reading.

By the way, I agree that Bullets is an excellent read. Of course, a lot of the Vertigo line is worth checking out. For example, give "Y The Last Man" or "Fables" a try.

The art didn't grab me at first, but then I began to realize that this isn't the sort of book that is pretty to look at, and also a good read, like art & story are two separate entities that just happen to be between the same covers. The art actually works with the text, and helps tell the tale.

I'm glad you're giving 100 Bullets a look-- but I think Risso's art is fantastic! I consider him a stripped-down Steranko, meaning he has the style and design sense almost equal to Steranko, but without all the flourishes. And unlike Steranko, Risso uses an awful lot of silhouettes, but that's ok-- this streamlining lets Risso keep producing a full book every month on deadline, something Steranko never had to do consistently.

Woohoo!!!!! Another convert to THE BEST BOOK out there! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I just read #49 (comes out next week). Loved it! Great way to tie up the arc. I won't give it away, but the [!@#%^&^] is about to hit the fan.

Let me second Zonker's statement. Risso is fantastic. His art fits the book better than any other artist on any current book. I own 5 pieces of artwork by him, and it is even more impressive in person than on the page. He does do alot of silhoutte's, but it fits the mood and tone of the book.

And he does, bar none, the most beautiful inking I have ever seen. The inks are so consistent you have to look really hard to see the strokes. Perfect. cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

And, todays books are better. You can thank the Vertigo imprint for that. thumbsup2.gif

I can't keep quiet either about 100 Bullets - it's a brilliant title which pushes the creative envelope, and a compulsive read. And yes, my confidence in the new comics market is high at the moment. I go to my LCS once a week, and I'm actually looking forward to certain books coming out. Been a while since I had that enthusiasm.

I've heard good things about Y The Last Man and Fables... What're they about?

And how far along are they? Are there TPBs available, or are back issues hard to come by?

As for what sort of thing appeals to me... well I don't know. Kinda why I asked. I liked X-Men in the 80s, Batman in the 90s. I liked Sandman, Matt Wagner's Mage and the Comico Grendel series. 1602 is entertaining (where the hell is #8??) but definitely a genre book, nothing I'd write home about. I did like a lot of DC Elseworlds 1-shots. Many Valiant books were fun too.

I didn't/don't like Image comics, excepting possibly the first 10 or so issues of Spawn. Sandman Mystery Theatre & most of the rest of the "early" Vertigo books didn't appeal to me, which is strange because Matt Wagner was involved with those too. Either super-powered people pounding on each other every week has gotten old or I have, so I don't go for superhero books much anymore.

IMHO Punisher MAX is the best comic out there. I look forward to every new issue. If you like 100 Bullets you most likely would like the Punisher. The Punisher has to have the highest body count in comics. I also like Fantastic Four, USM, Avengers, UXM, Daredevil, Ultimates, and UFF.

Z -

Here's a crash course in the books you asked about....

Y: The Last Man - Present day....A plague strikes earth and eveyrthing on the planet with a "y-chromosome" is wiped out. Except for one man, Yorick, and his pet monkey. Chaos ensues as the world tries to rebuild. Highly recommended book that consistenly delivers the best cliff-hanger endings. Sometimes the resolutions [!@#%^&^] me off, but a great title. There are 3 trades available, and that should almost catch you up to the current issues.

Fables: Think League of Ext. Gents (w/out all the tongue in cheek, smrty-pants stuff). All the "fables" from all the old childrens stories are living in modern day NY amongst the "mundies" (normal people). All kinds of sub-plots involving many different characters. Always a great read. 2 or 3 trades out, should almost catch you up to current issues. I like this book better than "Y".

Sorry Marvelous! Can't compare Punisher to 100 Bullets!!!! Not even close. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Sorry Marvelous! Can't compare Punisher to 100 Bullets!!!! Not even close. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

You are right. foreheadslap.gif 100 Bullets sucks compared to the Punisher. sumo.gif 100 Bullets is for the more sensitive person that can't deal with graphic language and art that the Punisher has. stooges.gif

lol ... when you Vertigo-curious folks want some Fables or Y the Last man issues... come knockin' via PM tongue.gif

Darthdiesel, Modern Pimp. Just remember 2-D's, for a double-dose of that pimpin'. wink.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give Fables a shot at least, possibly Y. I throw business to my LCS whenever possible, but whatever TPBs or back issues he doesn't have I"ll come hunting around here for.

With Fables, at least read thru the 2nd trade (Animal Farm). 1st is good, but more set-up than anything else. 2nd trade, it gets crazy!!!!! Prince Charming is the man!!!! thumbsup2.gif

I am loving the current arc of Fables, I haven't looked forward to a new issue of a title coming out since Sandman was going strong.

The guy at the LCS says he thinks I would like Y The Last Man as well, so I'll most likely pick that up soon.

I tried the first trade of 100 bullets and it just didn't grab me. Perhaps I should reread it.

You've got to re-read Bullets and pick up the next trade too. 1st trade doesn't even begin to cover the "big picture". The 4th trade was my favorite thus far (it really gets into the "meat").

Ok, so I pop down to the LCS Saturday and pick up the first trades of Fables and Y The Last Man. I gotta say, Fables does not grab me at all. I found it cute, trite, and Shrekish. I felt like the writer was continuously elbowing me in the ribs, saying "get it? GET it?". Yes, Pinocchio is tired of being just a boy, Beauty and the Beast have marital problems, Prince Charming is a , thank you, I get it.

I know it's been suggested that I buy at least the second trade to get into it, but you know what? Nah. One story arc should be enough to grab a reader.

Y is cool! I like this one. I hope they keep it up. I will be buying at least the second trade. The key here will be if everyone stays in character. If they get too off base with everyone's post-apocalyptic roles it could turn goofy fast.