• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, you mugs, gimme the lowdown on Pre-Code Crime
2 2

64 posts in this topic

I like to pick up any of the SOTI Books (Seduction of the Innocent) along with any of the POP books.

This are collectible, they hold their values and they tend to be some of the best books of the various runs.

You cant go wrong with either and they are a great introduction to Crime books and the golden age..

http://www.seductionoftheinnocent.org/

IMHO

T

"The Giggling Killer" story in Exposed #2 is worth getting for the splash page alone.

Seconded! This is the nastiest crime story I've ever seen. Completely brutal.

Does anyone have "The Giggling Killer" story handy?

I have posted it before, but this true story from Underworld #3 is the one that got to me more than any other, but I never read Exposed.

th_Underworld-3.jpg

th_Underworld3page1.jpgth_Underworld3page2.jpgth_Underworld3page3.jpgth_Underworld3page4.jpg

th_Underworld3page5.jpgth_Underworld3page6.jpgth_Underworld3page7.jpgth_Underworld3page8.jpg

Kerry Drake - while reformatted newspaper strips (like Di ck Tracy), is a fun read - and pretty cheap in low grade. I recommend the Blackthorne strip collections for those on a budget.

Eclipse Comics collected a lot of great PC Crime in their Seduction of the Innocent and Mr. Monster Super Duper series ( the latter featuring two issues of Jack Cole's True Crime stories!), with excellent full color reproduction.

I like to pick up any of the SOTI Books (Seduction of the Innocent) along with any of the POP books.

This are collectible, they hold their values and they tend to be some of the best books of the various runs.

You cant go wrong with either and they are a great introduction to Crime books and the golden age..

http://www.seductionoftheinnocent.org/

IMHO

T

Sshhh....the baby is sleeping zzz

I have posted it before, but this true story from Underworld #3 is the one that got to me more than any other, but I never read Exposed.

Thanks for posting that. Fun read! Just one brutal page after another. The panel near the end, with the kids, is horrible!

+1

What an evil old "shrew". lol

And were the dudes really that hard up back then? "Hi, I saw your ad. Here I am with my $4500". :tonofbricks:

Kerry Drake - while reformatted newspaper strips (like Di ck Tracy), is a fun read - and pretty cheap in low grade. I recommend the Blackthorne strip collections for those on a budget.

Eclipse Comics collected a lot of great PC Crime in their Seduction of the Innocent and Mr. Monster Super Duper series ( the latter featuring two issues of Jack Cole's True Crime stories!), with excellent full color reproduction.

It is damned hard to beat the originals though. :cloud9:

TrueCrime2.2.jpg

TrueCrime3NEW.2.jpg

Three issue series....and these two are the Cole covers that everyone wants. Issue 2 is rather bland....cover-wise. Issue 3 is famous for the SOTI reference and illo that was used which depicted the murder of lovers parked in a lovers lane. Shot in the head they were. :P

LawCrime1.2.jpg

LawCrime3.2.jpg

Good as in gory?? Then, no. The cover is horror flavored but the stories are plain flatfoot stories. Thank goodness, Ken has an assistant otherwise, it's run of the mill safe Quality stories. The art is above average, probably Chuck Cuidera assisting Crandall and one story by Cole as well.

Here's the splash to the cover story -

1024517-KenShannon3Story1s.jpg