• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Help question regarding 9/11 and comics

83 posts in this topic

The subject has been avoided completely, and much like the rest of the press only christians are allowed to be villianized. I could point you in that direction if you wished.

I would LOVE to see examples of Christians being villified in mainstream comics! Please link if possible.

*When I say I'd love to see it, I don't mean "hooray Christians being villified!", I mean I'm interested.

EDIT: Point being, I don't believe it's true. I very strongly suspect that if you did an objective study of the portrayal of Christians and Muslims in American comics over any time period, you would find that Muslims are shown in a more negative light on the whole. Less so since 911, because of sensitivity to the subject.

The subject has been avoided completely, and much like the rest of the press only christians are allowed to be villianized. I could point you in that direction if you wished.

I would LOVE to see examples of Christians being villified in mainstream comics! Please link if possible.

*When I say I'd love to see it, I don't mean "hooray Christians being villified!", I mean I'm interested.

Preacher.....

His grandma was a pretty good villain.

:grin:

Preacher.....

Oh yes! I remember that one!

If you're going to look at the whole Vertigo line I'm sure you would find a lot of anti-religious sentiment. That's simply because there are a lot of intelligent, mature writers working on those titles, who are statistically more likely to be atheist/agnostic and have a dislike of religion (no judgement here, just a statistical fact that intelligence and education correlate strongly with atheism). That sort of anti-religious sentiment isn't reserved for Christianity, it applies to all religion.

EDIT: Point being, I don't believe it's true. I very strongly suspect that if you did an objective study of the portrayal of Christians and Muslims in American comics over any time period, you would find that Muslims are shown in a more negative light on the whole. Less so since 911, because of sensitivity to the subject.

I think you're right :gossip:

Preacher.....

If you're going to look at the whole Vertigo line I'm sure you would find a lot of anti-religious sentiment. That's simply because there are a lot of intelligent, mature writers working on those titles, who are statistically more likely to be atheist/agnostic and have a dislike of religion (no judgement here, just a statistical fact that intelligence and education correlate strongly with atheism). That sort of anti-religious sentiment isn't reserved for Christianity, it applies to all religion.

good point I am going to look into that

What?

Check the Captain America 2002 series by John Cassiday and John Reiber.

That's the only mainstream title I recall having any hint of going after middle eastern terrorists.

These days, no one is going after any one group ... unless it happens to be "evil corporations."

There was a thread here years ago discussing if we wanted to see Cap or other heros go after muslim terrorists in the same way he went after Nazis and the Japanese in WWII. I think most people responded they would like to see those kind of stories.

What?

It's a simple fact. I'm not drawing any conclusions from it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

Let's not derail the thread though. If you want to debate the correlation between IQ or education and religious belief please do start a thread in the water cooler. I'll be all over it :)

What?

It's a simple fact. I'm not drawing any conclusions from it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

Let's not derail the thread though. If you want to debate the correlation between IQ or education and religious belief please do start a thread in the water cooler. I'll be all over it :)

Not going to derail the thread. (thumbs u

Just found the statement "unusual" since education and intelligence don't necessarily correlate with each other let alone with a person's believe.

Everybody carry on... :shy:

Preacher.....

I think there are an increasing lot of writers in comics over the last 20 years or so who are atheist/agnostic in their ways and do let that mindset seep into some of their storylines -- i.e. villains having some fundamentalist origins or crazy religious beliefs, etc.

And as for intelligence and education strongly correlating to atheism...I don't know so much about that. Perhaps there are some "intellectuals" who feel that religion is only for the uneducated masses...to that, I would say that their definition of "intellectual" may be flawed...

I think there are an increasing lot of writers in comics over the last 20 years or so who are atheist/agnostic in their ways and do let that mindset seep into some of their storylines -- i.e. villains having some fundamentalist origins or crazy religious beliefs, etc.

And as for intelligence and education strongly correlating to atheism...I don't know so much about that. Perhaps there are some "intellectuals" who feel that religion is only for the uneducated masses...to that, I would say that their definition of "intellectual" may be flawed...

I would so love to talk about this, but it belongs in the Water Cooler :)

Check the Captain America 2002 series by John Cassiday and John Reiber.

That's the only mainstream title I recall having any hint of going after middle eastern terrorists.

These days, no one is going after any one group ... unless it happens to be "evil corporations."

There was a thread here years ago discussing if we wanted to see Cap or other heros go after muslim terrorists in the same way he went after Nazis and the Japanese in WWII. I think most people responded they would like to see those kind of stories.

I am trying to look this up.What is the specific name of this series is it just Captain America? Thanks in advance.

What?

Not going to derail the thread. (thumbs u

Just found the statement "unusual" since education and intelligence don't necessarily correlate with each other let alone with a person's believe.

Everybody carry on... :shy:

I might agree with the last half "education correlates strongly with atheism" - but intelligence...I don't think you have a leg to stand on with that one.

I haven't seen any. Most likely because times today are too politically correct to print comics that have propaganda like qualities and most certainly not portray "the enemy" in a negative stereotype manner like they did in the 40s...