• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Help question regarding 9/11 and comics

83 posts in this topic

Oh yes! I remember that one!

If you're going to look at the whole Vertigo line I'm sure you would find a lot of anti-religious sentiment. That's simply because there are a lot of intelligent, mature writers working on those titles, who are statistically more likely to be atheist/agnostic and have a dislike of religion (no judgement here, just a statistical fact that intelligence and education correlate strongly with atheism). That sort of anti-religious sentiment isn't reserved for Christianity, it applies to all religion.

What?

It's a simple fact. I'm not drawing any conclusions from it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

Let's not derail the thread though. If you want to debate the correlation between IQ or education and religious belief please do start a thread in the water cooler. I'll be all over it :)

Not going to derail the thread. (thumbs u

Just found the statement "unusual" since education and intelligence don't necessarily correlate with each other let alone with a person's believe.

Everybody carry on... :shy:

I might agree with the last half "education correlates strongly with atheism" - but intelligence...I don't think you have a leg to stand on with that one.

Sorry, you can't be smart without a college degree. It's impossible.

I haven't seen any. Most likely because times today are too politically correct to print comics that have propaganda like qualities and most certainly not portray "the enemy" in a negative stereotype manner like they did in the 40s...

OR... they could figure that, hey, it's not the Muslim's that attacked us, but a small group of terrorists, who are a part of al-Qaeda that attacked us, SO.... rather than offend a whole race of people, who, ya know, live all over the world and buy our comics, buy tickets to our movies, and buy our DVD's, and help make our product the household name that it is... let's just keep it generic.

I haven't seen any. Most likely because times today are too politically correct to print comics that have propaganda like qualities and most certainly not portray "the enemy" in a negative stereotype manner like they did in the 40s...

OR... they could figure that, hey, it's not the Muslim's that attacked us, but a small group of terrorists, who are a part of al-Qaeda that attacked us, SO.... rather than offend a whole race of people, who, ya know, live all over the world and buy our comics, buy tickets to our movies, and buy our DVD's, and help make our product the household name that it is... let's just keep it generic.

Ok,interesting that we didn't feel that same way in the 40s when we depicted japanese that way and in the 60s when we depicted "commies" in a stereotypical way. Back then we didn't care how those countries felt about it...we were at war and they were the enemy.

Your post actually supports my above point of today's political correctness so not to offend people (who might be customers)...greed factors into it as well then.

By the way, not sure why you bolded Muslims...I never mentioned a race or religion in my original post as the enemy.

I havent read all the replies, but I know they were making comics of the Presidents a while back and there was one of George W. I flipped through it, and though nothing comes to mind - I think there was something middle easternly about it. Might want to check that one out.

I havent read all the replies, but I know they were making comics of the Presidents a while back and there was one of George W. I flipped through it, and though nothing comes to mind - I think there was something middle easternly about it. Might want to check that one out.

I will look into it thanks

No one mentioned the Savage Dragon Wondercon variant? Or did I miss that? Or does it not apply since it was not a product put into the general comic shops?

that looks very helpful much appreciated

Check the Captain America 2002 series by John Cassiday and John Reiber.

I will check it out thanks

Who is your Av? She looks like a gymnast I know....

I haven't updated my profile in years, probably around the time of the Summer Olympics. Her name is Alicia Sacramone

Check the Captain America 2002 series by John Cassiday and John Reiber.

I will check it out thanks

Who is your Av? She looks like a gymnast I know....

I haven't updated my profile in years, probably around the time of the Summer Olympics. Her name is Alicia Sacramone

Ah yes. Thanks!

Ok,interesting that we didn't feel that same way in the 40s when we depicted japanese that way and in the 60s when we depicted "commies" in a stereotypical way. Back then we didn't care how those countries felt about it...we were at war and they were the enemy.

Your post actually supports my above point of today's political correctness so not to offend people (who might be customers)...greed factors into it as well then.

By the way, not sure why you bolded Muslims...I never mentioned a race or religion in my original post as the enemy.

And let's not forget that those examples - the 'Jap' and 'Commie' stereotypes - were sickening, awful creations that our modern, improved society recognises as a bad thing. They are fascinating to look at now to remind ourselves of just how much society used to accept and foster prejudice and hate.

We were at war with Japan yes, but that didn't make it accurate or helpful in any way to depict every last one of them as evil little monkey men with freakish teeth who were hell bent on raping our women. It was a less enlightened age. Modern society is wiser and better.

So yes, I agree with Mark that today's more enlightened comic creators would not be likely to stoop to stereotyping the entire Arab race as evil freaks just because certain groups within them commit atrocities.