• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics that are hard to find because of importance

74 posts in this topic

For me, the key is asking the owner or workers; so many stores keep their good stuff behind the counter or in a back room.

Agreed!

I love walking into those off-the-beaten-path comic stores, being directed to inventory that hasn't been touched in ages, and finding treasures I've wanted for the longest time, no matter their value.

It's a feeling of satisfaction. And sometimes, you really win out.

:whee:

Yep; and back to the OP, if I'm in such a shop and find some of the books on his list, I'll pretty much always scoop them up. hm

I went into a flea market to a guy's comic shop (inside the covered part of the flea market, where he had about 100 long boxes of comics in a large space) and he had all these really great comics. I asked him if he had any golden age comics and he said he had some in a locker. So, he opens this old high school locker sitting behind him and inside it was two boxes of comics. One had a large selection of golden age and the other had stuff like Superman 75 and other once "hot" comics. In the middle of all the drek was a Miracleman 15. I asked the guy how much for the MM 15 and he said $15. I snatched it up right then and there, plus, I got 50 or so golden age comics, including some really rare 1950s DCs like It's Gametime and others.

The guy also had stuff like the Hunger Dogs graphic novel, several rare trade paperbacks and boxes of comic magazines and treasuries.

I haven't been back there in eight or nine years, but I made the trip to Knoxville several times when I was in east Tennessee just to pick up some great books for really cheap prices.

I went into a flea market to a guy's comic shop (inside the covered part of the flea market, where he had about 100 long boxes of comics in a large space) and he had all these really great comics. I asked him if he had any golden age comics and he said he had some in a locker. So, he opens this old high school locker sitting behind him and inside it was two boxes of comics. One had a large selection of golden age and the other had stuff like Superman 75 and other once "hot" comics. In the middle of all the drek was a Miracleman 15. I asked the guy how much for the MM 15 and he said $15. I snatched it up right then and there, plus, I got 50 or so golden age comics, including some really rare 1950s DCs like It's Gametime and others.

The guy also had stuff like the Hunger Dogs graphic novel, several rare trade paperbacks and boxes of comic magazines and treasuries.

I haven't been back there in eight or nine years, but I made the trip to Knoxville several times when I was in east Tennessee just to pick up some great books for really cheap prices.

You hit upon another key part of the hunt... ASK. You never know what else might NOT be out.

Yes, but the OP stated that he visits a lot of comic shops on the East Coast while travelling for work, and can't find these books. Given that fact, Brian is stating that his experience in the same region is the opposite.

If all things were equal, I'd be in total agreement. But the answer is "it depends."

If the OP is hitting many of these Modern-only stores, where Brian has the long-term experience to hit just those stores he knows have a much broader inventory, the results are going to be different. And Brian definitely finds many amazing books from all the sales threads he has conducted. I've benefitted a few times from his finds.

It's also having the experience to know don't always count on the more popular stores to have what you need. Pretty much everyone else is hitting up the same store for these books because they are marketing their inventory more, probably have better inventory search features, and have a large database of customers with want lists on file.

I guess my feeling is, if you're hunting for back issues and saying you can't find certain books at multiple stores, my thought is that you have to look harder and broaden your range. I guess I was reacting to the list and thinking, I just wouldn't classify any of these as rare or tough because I run into many of them so often I wouldn't even buy them. Heck, I pulled Saga of the Swamp Things 20 and 21 out of a local (maryland) dealer's 3 for a buck boxes (in multiples) -- recently -- all were 9.0 or better. I guess I just think if you go to enough stores, you start knowing the ones to call in advance to fetter out the right questions and give you a good instinct on those worth your time and those that aren't.

. I asked the guy how much for the MM 15 and he said $15.

See, this is what I like. You got a smokin' deal, but the seller also got a fair "I know nothing about this book" price. It's not like he gave it away for $1, but by the same token, you got a "stupid to pass up" price. He likely had no more than 25 cents into the book.

Supah Win.

I'd really like to know where the hell you people are finding books like Swamp Thing #20-#21 IN MULTIPLES in "three for a dollar" boxes.

Because, frankly, that simply doesn't exist on the West Coast.

Collectors Corner in MD. Randy is a great guy who buys stuff in bulk and blows it out in bulk.

But it's happened in other shops as well, just not necessarily with Swamp Thing 20 or 21. I did, however, buy 10 copies of Swamp Thing 9 out of a $1 box from a sidewalk sale. Guy had about 30 or 35, but 10 were 9.2 or better. All for a $1.

I'd really like to know where the hell you people are finding books like Swamp Thing #20-#21 IN MULTIPLES in "three for a dollar" boxes.

Collectors Corner in MD. Randy is a great guy who buys stuff in bulk and blows it out in bulk.

But it's happened in other shops as well, just not necessarily with Swamp Thing 20 or 21. I did, however, buy 10 copies of Swamp Thing 9 out of a $1 box from a sidewalk sale. Guy had about 30 or 35, but 10 were 9.2 or better. All for a $1.

Swamp Thing 9 is an easy book to find in dollar and even 50 cent boxes, but 20s and 21s are not. If you can find them for $1 each, then you should buy all the stores have and resell them to Lone Star Comics, which is offering $2.81 cash for each issue. You'd make a profit on each book!

Swamp Thing 9 is an easy book to find in dollar and even 50 cent boxes, but 20s and 21s are not. If you can find them for $1 each, then you should buy all the stores have and resell them to Lone Star Comics, which is offering $2.81 cash for each issue. You'd make a profit on each book!

$2.81? lol I sold them all for between $5-$15 a piece. All sold out too.