• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?UPDATED

43 posts in this topic

Small claims court is fun. I don't know about NY, but in LA County it's about $35 to file, then for an additional $50 you can hire the Sheriffs to serve the guy his papers (if you give them the defendant's home address, even better devil.gif).

Wouldn't it be better to have him severed at the store than his home. That way there may be customers in the store who see it happen, and think "This guy must be trouble, I think I'll shop else where."

Shadrock, obviously (if his story is true) this guy has the consignors telephone number, if nothing else. I'd ask (then demand) for that #. Call the guy up and be very pleasant about it, after all the guy may not know either.

If you feel you are being had then let the bullets rain down.

timely

I wrote a nice,cool and collected e-letter to him explaining how I thought he was mishandling the situation and how I hoped he would see fit to change his mind.

I also mentioned that as a last resort I would file a claim in small claims court against him.

To my surprise,he quickly responded and said that he had been thinking it over and felt he owed me something.He reiterated that the books were not his,the money was gone but that to keep me happy he would give me $200 dollars in store credit and keep the books or return them for $1200 in store credit.

I then replied that I had no desire to return all the books,only the ones with the coupons out.I thanked him for his quick response and change of heart and asked what he would give in return for the damaged books. I don't mind keeping them,I just don't want to pay triple what they are worth.

His reply was to enquire what I thought a fair adjustment would be?

Any suggestions?

I'm glad things are looking better in this case.

Not all problems get solved so easily.

When you go back to the store to return the books, could you check to see if he has a FF 11 in near Fine?

wink.gif

If he holds up his end of the deal, give him a plug on the boards. Ethical behavior should be encouraged. Glad to see things are working out, Shad.

I'm happy for you too.

I just read this thread Sunday morning and felt from the beginning small claims court would be the way to go. I also kind of felt even the threat of legal action may make the seller more responsive. I have on occasion needed to take some of my customers to court as a last resort, but only when I felt in the right. Of the six I've sued, 4 settled out of court and the other 2 that went to court, I won. I kinda feel that had your situation gone that route, that you would have won. Think the seller knew it too and that's a huge reason why the offer was made. Even so, kudos to the seller for working things out with you.

He deserves a plug.

He deserves a plug.

Lemme see if I have this straight...

He deserves a plug for being an [!@#%^&^] the first time it was brought to his attention and caving in like a coward when legal action was threatened.

This is behavior we reward these days???

I am glad that the owner shook off his bad hair day and decided to offer customer service. And I do think Shadroch should continue to shop there. But I do a double-take in the general direction of this suggestion he deserves a plug.

"Oh look, the kid who slashed all my tires with his pocketknife just came by to apologize after his dad beat him with a belt for an hour. Let's throw that kid a party!"

What the shop owner did is earn a second chance to keep shadroch as a customer. He didn't do anything to warrant shadroch telling all his friends what a great shop it is. Unless our standards for comic shop customer service are really that low.

If over the next six months, the guy goes out of his way to make sure that Shadroch's experiences in the shop are good, and attempts to make up for the inconvenience by being the kind of shop owner he should have been in the beginning, then there is no doubt in my mind the guy would deserve a plug. But the apology you get from a kid with fresh stripes on his butt is not a real apology...

I concur with 'House.Since I didn't mention him when he was being an [!@#%^&^],why should I plug him now.Had I publicly dragged him through the mud,ala Ian,then I'd have to give him the acclaim he so richly doesn't deserve,but as it is.-No public ID. "less he screws up and doesn't follow thru.

I'm thinking the adjustment I'm going to ask for will be that DF diorama of Wolvie from the cover of Days of Future Past.

BTW-the books all had conditions listed on the price tags.F,F+,F+/VF,VF-,VF and VF+.Most of the couponless books were F or F+.Couldn't see any difference between the third and fourth of those grades.It's rare to find nice HGish early Legions in NY.

I agree with that! I have a similar case (on a much smaller scale) in mediation right now. The seller decided to put the blame on me for his own mistake, admitted he would normally refund in my particular instance, but spent the money, and then cussed me out via email when I gave him a well deserved negative. Now he went crying to squaretrade for feedback removal and wants to make good? F THAT! 893censored-thumb.gif

He deserves a plug.

Lemme see if I have this straight...

He deserves a plug for being an [!@#%^&^] the first time it was brought to his attention and caving in like a coward when legal action was threatened.

This is behavior we reward these days???

I am glad that the owner shook off his bad hair day and decided to offer customer service. And I do think Shadroch should continue to shop there. But I do a double-take in the general direction of this suggestion he deserves a plug.

"Oh look, the kid who slashed all my tires with his pocketknife just came by to apologize after his dad beat him with a belt for an hour. Let's throw that kid a party!"

What the shop owner did is earn a second chance to keep shadroch as a customer. He didn't do anything to warrant shadroch telling all his friends what a great shop it is. Unless our standards for comic shop customer service are really that low.

If over the next six months, the guy goes out of his way to make sure that Shadroch's experiences in the shop are good, and attempts to make up for the inconvenience by being the kind of shop owner he should have been in the beginning, then there is no doubt in my mind the guy would deserve a plug. But the apology you get from a kid with fresh stripes on his butt is not a real apology...

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

yep, i am gonna start giving plugs on here too but only pos since my neg list is too big to list. Ive only had good deals from people on here through this forum though. Even if it did not run completely smooth, unlike my ebay persona, ill give ya the benefit of the doubt for a goodfaith effort. I wish more LCS or big time shops would participate on here more. Seems we've run a couple of shops off here but they are sellers. They should be able to take the heat. You know guys, we do have quite a reputation in the comic community as being very aggresive and pack like mentality against bad ebay dealers. Thats a good thing. I know a few lcs that wont even come on here. Hmmm, too bad we cannot start our own feedback forum here or atleats add an updated thumbs up list for buyers on ebay, (kinda a revamped props thread that is updated to one alphabetical list and who promoted the seller.what they bought, why they like, or if something went wrong, what happened). I know ive learned a bit from critiques on here for working out my seller problems.

yep, i am gonna start giving plugs on here too but only pos since my neg list is too big to list. Ive only had good deals from people on here through this forum though. Even if it did not run completely smooth, unlike my ebay persona, ill give ya the benefit of the doubt for a goodfaith effort. I wish more LCS or big time shops would participate on here more. Seems we've run a couple of shops off here but they are sellers. They should be able to take the heat. You know guys, we do have quite a reputation in the comic community as being very aggresive and pack like mentality against bad ebay dealers. Thats a good thing. I know a few lcs that wont even come on here. Hmmm, too bad we cannot start our own feedback forum here or atleats add an updated thumbs up list for buyers on ebay, (kinda a revamped props thread that is updated to one alphabetical list and who promoted the seller.what they bought, why they like, or if something went wrong, what happened). I know ive learned a bit from critiques on here for working out my seller problems.

Really?

We have a reputation?

Cool! sumo.gif