• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Con 2, St. Louis MO, 09 18-19 2010

10 posts in this topic

I am going to attend this con mainly for the purpose of having some books graded by CGC who are scheduled to be there. Can anyone tell me how I should prepare my comics for submitting them there? Do they do the actual grading on site or just carry them back to their main place of business?

CGC is not doing grading onsite for this show. They will accept the books and then they'll be taken back to Sarasota for grading and mailed back to you. As far as preparing the book, I do the following. I usually use a poly bag with at least 2 backing boards. On really expensive UHG books, I've used mylites with a fullback. Either way, I've seen onsite CGC staff getting a little too grabby for my taste on possible 9.8s. That said, I've never felt a book of mine was damaged while it was with them.

Just prepare the book like it's going to be packed with others for a long postal ride or truck ride back to CGC, b/c that's what's going to happen.

I'll be there Sat and maybe Sun. I'll be the devilishly handsome one. Say hi.

Well, I hope this con is successful.

I won't bet there till Sunday since I have to work Saturday. Hopefully the deadlers there will still be set up.

St. Louis has tried in the past to have a big con with mixed results. I remember going to a con in Collinsville IL (right outside St. Louis) and there were hardly any people (granted, it was a Sunday). I had Jim Steranko all to myself.

It was a little better than I thought it would be, but not anywhere near a real convention size. A steady stream of people... Lots of bargain shoppers... CGC people seemed disappointed, which wasn't a surprise based upon the size of the show...

Weird layout... Nice to have time to talk to the artists, unlike some bigger shows... Unimpressed with raw grading/pricing I saw on almost all GA/SA/BA books... Lots of $1 boxes, 50% off trades... Spent very little time at the auction, enough to see a 0.5, and a 3.0 SA war book go for about as much as it cost to slab it...

Glad to have the show here... Not sure we'll get another one this size again...