• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Im terrified to submit books for grading.

62 posts in this topic

See if you can't find a local comic shop that does it if you do it as a group it can cost a lot less you can also get a second opinion about the grades from your lcs owner if he knows anything about grading ... Which one would assume he does if he is submitting books ...

lol

lol lol

lol lol lol

:roflmao:

There are few more unreliable groups of "graders" on the planet than "local comic store owners."

It seems one of the requirements of getting a business license to open up a store is the ability to radically overgrade everything you're selling, and radically undergrade everything you're buying.

Bedrock excepted, natch....

;)

Bob informed............. :devil:

He won't care... he's not an LCS owner. :grin:

See if you can't find a local comic shop that does it if you do it as a group it can cost a lot less

I didn't know this. How much can this save you over just sending them in yourself? (After the 10% discount that everyone can get, of course).

The reason you didn't know this is because it's incorrect as well.

CGC doesn't offer any sort of group discounts - the tier prices & tier requirements are the same for everyone.

The only exception is that member dealers get a 20% discount on their submission fees whereas the rest of us mere mortals are stuck with 10% - but this discount has nothing to do with the number of books you submit.

See if you can't find a local comic shop that does it if you do it as a group it can cost a lot less

I didn't know this. How much can this save you over just sending them in yourself? (After the 10% discount that everyone can get, of course).

CGC doesn't offer any sort of group discounts - the tier prices & tier requirements are the same for everyone.

The only exception is that member dealers get a 20% discount on their submission fees whereas the rest of us mere mortals are stuck with 10% - but this discount has nothing to do with the number of books you submit.

The actual savings would come in the return shipping costs. It doesn't cost a lot more to ship 20 books as opposed to 5 books so you may save a buck or two per book by shipping in larger lots.

The actual savings would come in the return shipping costs. It doesn't cost a lot more to ship 20 books as opposed to 5 books so you may save a buck or two per book by shipping in larger lots.

I agree. You could save money as a group on shipping together along with if you have over 30 books amongst your group and they are valued under $150 you could send them under value tier submission for any books not modern by CGC standards and save a few bucks there as well.

It costs pretty much the same amount to ship 20 slabbed books as it does 5 slabbed books?

Matt/CI's pro screen is now $5 per book. They changed that very recently. I agree, find a big CGC submitter and deal with them if possible.

If you use Matt and proscreen, Matt will pass along the full 20% savings for books sent to CGC. He only charges a couple of dollars per book to send to CGC and charges a nominal amount for return shipping to you.

My LCS does not pass along the 20% savings, in fact he pockets the whole thing

as a fee for his services.

It costs pretty much the same amount to ship 20 slabbed books as it does 5 slabbed books?

It's more, but not by much. A full 30 book invoice costs about $70-$80, depending on the cost of the insurance.

Matt/CI's pro screen is now $5 per book. They changed that very recently. I agree, find a big CGC submitter and deal with them if possible.

He has also created a pre-screen alternative (only $2.00) to the now more expensive pro-screen ($5.00 includes restoration check and estimated CGC grade). I used the pre-screen at Wizard Chicago on a group of what I thought were 18 high grade raw press candidates. I didn't need a resto check because these books were original owner, so pre-screen was my most cost-effective choice. I gave him a target grade of 9.4 for the books. 14 passed and 4 failed, meaning that in Matt's opinion, CGC would grade those 14 books at least a 9.4 AFTER A PRESS. I was not given an actual grade estimate for any of the books, only a pass/fail grade against my target of 9.4. Keep in mind when using the pro screen service, the grade Matt gives you for a book is the CGC grade he believes you will achieve AFTER the book has been pressed. He will NOT give you a grade for your book as-is. In some cases of course the as-is grade will be the same as the after press grade as some books cannot be improved.

If you want an industry expert to inspect your books for improvement potential via press at a low cost and give you a very accurate estimate as to how CGC will grade your books after improvement, I highly recommend Matt Nelson of ClassicsIncorporated.com.

I just don't trust the USPS enough. :eek:
There is always UPS & FedEx. (thumbs u

They are worse! (shrug)

Plan on attending Wondercon or San Diego next year and drop off your books in person at the CGC booth. :shrug:

Exactly,is there any shows in Calif. doing onsite grading?

They are worse! (shrug)

Plan on attending Wondercon or San Diego next year and drop off your books in person at the CGC booth. :shrug:

CGC no longer offers onsite grading at any of the CA shows, but you can drop them off at the booth. CGC will take possession of the books and ship them in mass back to the facility for grading. Then, once encapsulated, they'll send them back registered mail to you.

They are worse! (shrug)

CGC no longer offers onsite grading at any of the CA shows, but you can drop them off at the booth. CGC will take possession of the books and ship them in mass back to the facility for grading. Then, once encapsulated, they'll send them back registered mail to you.

I do believe Terry O'Neils Yorba Linda show is going to have CGC submissions too. (thumbs u

They are worse! (shrug)

Just curious why you would say that? I used to work in shipping & receiving and as far as package delivery goes FedEx and UPS were far better than the USPS...depending on which service you were shipping with. The best advice I ever received from a FedEx rep was to package something so well that it could be drop kicked without damage and to choose the faster services so as to keep it in their hands the least amount of time possible.

They are worse! (shrug)

Just curious why you would say that? I used to work in shipping & receiving and as far as package delivery goes FedEx and UPS were far better than the USPS...depending on which service you were shipping with. The best advice I ever received from a FedEx rep was to package something so well that it could be drop kicked without damage and to choose the faster services so as to keep it in their hands the least amount of time possible.

Would you really,without a doubt trust any postal service with your prized A.F. #15 vf-? I don't know about you but I find it difficult to put something worth that much money through the mail.I have seen many posts on these boards of the nightmares and pics of packages that were supposed to be Handled with care,just my luck my package would be the one package out of 1000s to get damaged.You may be right and you may have had nothing but wonderful results with any service,but I've had books come up missing(still waiting for an ASM #75 NM from 2005)

and damaged.You may also say that if you insure it you'll recieve compensation,still does'nt get my book back.

They are worse! (shrug)

Would you really,without a doubt trust any postal service with your prized A.F. #15 vf-? I don't know about you but I find it difficult to put something worth that much money through the mail.I have seen many posts on these boards of the nightmares and pics of packages that were supposed to be Handled with care,just my luck my package would be the one package out of 1000s to get damaged.You may be right and you may have had nothing but wonderful results with any service,but I've had books come up missing(still waiting for an ASM #75 NM from 2005)

and damaged.You may also say that if you insure it you'll recieve compensation,still does'nt get my book back.

Paranoia will destroy-ya... :baiting::devil:

Would you really,without a doubt trust any postal service with your prized A.F. #15 vf-?

Yes I sure would. I find most postal workers and courier employees to be very conscientious and hardworking people. Not to mention, very respectful of the items they are delivering.

From what I understand you can insure USPS registered mail stuff for an insane amount of money and it's dirt cheap.

In nearly 10 years, and after having 1000's of packages shipped to and from me, all around the world, including books in the high 5 and 6 figure range I have only had a total of 3 packages go missing ever...and all 3 of those missing packages were sent without tracking and were under suspect circumstances, meaning I am not sure the other person was being entirely straight forward with me.

The only packages I have had damaged were the ones that were not packaged properly (either by me early on while I was still learning, or by someone else shipping to me).

I would without a doubt or a hesitation trust shipping a package, if properly packaged and shipped.