• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yellow pages, white pages, creamy pages, white to white pages... etc

18 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was curious about something,

how is it that the colour of the pages don't reflect the grade?

Because I've recently seen some same graded comics with different colour pages.

Clearly all white pages would mean a better copy but it would get the same grade as off white pages .....why?

is page colour not a criteria for a higher grade?

Paper Quality (PQ) actually does play a part in the grade along with Quality of Production (QP) but not when assigning a CGC grade (unless brittle) but in your personal assessment of a grade.

For example, all 8.0s are not created equal.

An 8.0 with a well-centred cover (i.e., the little black line in Marvels centred right on the spine) and white pages is a better book than any other "structural" 8.0. By structural, I mean weighing off the demerits of spine stress, bends, stains or tears.

Though all that follows does not matter to all collectors, I'd advise assessing the grade on the label with the condition of the book structurally (Buy the Book Not the Label); examine the Quality of Production (i.e., the alignment of the wrap; squareness of the cut -- 90º; cover gloss); and decide what paper quality is important to you.

Stored well, the paper quality may not change during your lifetime, but a cream book is closer to dust than a white one.

Here's a small grouping of ASM 42s in CGC 8.0 from the Heritage Archive. They are very nice books -- but you may well wish to put your collecting dollar behind a particular book rather than a random selection.

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

OWW.jpg

OW.jpg

Hey all,

I was curious about something,

how is it that the colour of the pages don't reflect the grade?

Because I've recently seen some same graded comics with different colour pages.

Clearly all white pages would mean a better copy but it would get the same grade as off white pages .....why?

is page colour not a criteria for a higher grade?

The short answer is: It absolutely can affect the grade.

A 9.8 book with cream pages is going to get knocked down to a 9.6 in virtually every case, reportedly there are only 2 or 3 books in the history of CGC are 9.8 and have Cream pages.

And those were probably old labels or originally in old labels.

A 9.8 book with cream pages is going to get knocked down to a 9.6 in virtually every case, reportedly there are only 2 or 3 books in the history of CGC are 9.8 and have Cream pages.

There are none above 9.6 that aren't label errors. I think they don't give cream-to-offwhite pages above 9.4 anymore, although they definitely did used to allow it at the 9.6 level for several years. As is the case with lots of defects, CGC won't grade books with varying degrees of poor page quality above a level they've determined for each, but it doesn't cause grade to decrease further than that maximum level.

There are none above 9.6 that aren't label errors. I think they don't give cream-to-offwhite pages above 9.4 anymore, although they definitely did used to allow it at the 9.6 level for several years. As is the case with lots of defects, CGC won't grade books with varying degrees of poor page quality above a level they've determined for each, but it doesn't cause grade to decrease further than that maximum level.

I've gotten multiple copies of Bronze 9.6's that are cream to off white in the past few months.

Great response rodan. The first 2 books clearly illustrate your point. The first 8.0 WP book has so much more eye appeal...well centered, glossy bright cover and little noticeable wear. Put those two books up for auction and the final hammer price would surely be much higher on the first.

(thumbs u

Great response rodan. The first 2 books clearly illustrate your point. The first 8.0 WP book has so much more eye appeal...well centered, glossy bright cover and little noticeable wear. Put those two books up for auction and the final hammer price would surely be much higher on the first.

(thumbs u

Actually, I think the 3rd book (oww pages) looks the best. The scans on the first two books seems extra light, and the second white pager has too much cover wear for me. It's just a matter of preference, really.

Yeh, I don't like the spine tics or the top edge of book 3...

Yep, personal preference. Bottom line is though, all 8.0's, 9.0's, etc. are not created equal. Sure, the number in the top left corner is the same but a whole host of other factors come in to play when buyers ultimately place a value on the book.

Yeh, I don't like the spine tics or the top edge of book 3...

Yep, personal preference. Bottom line is though, all 8.0's, 9.0's, etc. are not created equal. Sure, the number in the top left corner is the same but a whole host of other factors come in to play when buyers ultimately place a value on the book.

This is why quoting GPA makes no sense. All books of the same grade are not equal. If you want to sell me a book at the last GPA price unless I can see a pic

of that last sale, how can it be justified ?

I have a 9.6 c-ow Atom 36. It's one of 3 in that grade, not sure what the other copies are at, but I think the highest is ow pages. Would I be better off (value wise) in getting a 9.4 with say ow pages? Is that a better book than my 9.6 with c-ow pages? The 9.6 is still in the top 3 so does the c-ow page designator really matter at that highest grade?

thanks....

I have a 9.6 c-ow Atom 36. It's one of 3 in that grade, not sure what the other copies are at, but I think the highest is ow pages. Would I be better off (value wise) in getting a 9.4 with say ow pages? Is that a better book than my 9.6 with c-ow pages? The 9.6 is still in the top 3 so does the c-ow page designator really matter at that highest grade?

You guys are right, there are tons of 9.6 c/ow books throughout CGC's history. And yes, c/ow definitely matters on the more common books at the 9.6 level, they almost always garner lower prices than ow or w books.

You guys are right, there are tons of 9.6 c/ow books throughout CGC's history. And yes, c/ow definitely matters on the more common books at the 9.6 level, they almost always garner lower prices than ow or w books.

So at the highest level with only a few copies at that grade, the cream-ow wouldn't matter that much at all, because you'd be lucky to find a copy in that grade anyways?

So at the highest level with only a few copies at that grade, the cream-ow wouldn't matter that much at all, because you'd be lucky to find a copy in that grade anyways?

No. Highest graded or not, a book with CR/OW pages is worth less. The merits of this fact are debatable but it's still a fact. From my observation OW and OW/W

set the price. From there White commands a premium and CR/OW demands a discount.