• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have any dealings with blbcomics on Ebay??

40 posts in this topic

Why people continue to give ol' Bob business, when it's clear the world has moved on and left his antiquated "way of doing business" (that is, overgrade, don't disclose, and be rude about it because collectors need their fix) in the dust, is beyond me.

It's time for the Robert Beerbohms of the world to retire.

But, hey, people gotta stick by their friends, eh...?

This could be interesting.... hm

Had any run ins with Bob out West that spurred your post?

Sure...anybody who's been in the hobby for more than a year or two, and buys anything older than 1980 or so, has probably encountered the ol' Bohm at one point or another.

Mine was the same...overgraded schlock, bought on eBay, and pissy attitude about it afterwards. So...ferget it. Not worth my wasted time and wasted money.

I chuckle to myself whenever I walk by him at cons, but that's the extent of it.

I take it back...I did have a FASCINATING interaction with him at WWLA in 2008...I must admit, my motives were ulterior. I've had the back and forth with him re: CGC electronically, but he didn't know who I was in person, so I walked up, struck up a casual convo, and then mentioned CGC....

Wind him up, and watch him go.

I don't think I got in four words after that.

lol

Ask him about CGC and All-Star Comics :insane:

One of CGC's so-called "experts" also succeeded in popping the lower staple of All Star #8, first Wonder Woman, off being attached to the book. It was firmly attached when I hand delivered Jerry Bails' All Star run to CGC HQ in Florida back in June 2007

Are you working as counsel for the defense? lol

Ask him about CGC and All-Star Comics :insane:

One of CGC's so-called "experts" also succeeded in popping the lower staple of All Star #8, first Wonder Woman, off being attached to the book. It was firmly attached when I hand delivered Jerry Bails' All Star run to CGC HQ in Florida back in June 2007

Are you working as counsel for the defense? lol

Nah. I pulled that straight out of one of his posts.

I have bought a lot of raw books from Bob. I always ask for better scans and he sends them. Then when I get the books I can return the ones I did not want, no problem

There have been a few people, some on the boards, that have had issues getting a refund after returning books. It was brought up in a thread many moons ago

Oh, and for the record, I like BB.

Never bought anything from him, but he's always been helpful (and highly entertaining) here on the boards.

He has an incredible wealth of knowledge about the history of comics & comic fandom, and I'm in awe of that. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know. That being said, I wouldn't buy from him.

Bought 3 books, about 1-2 years ago, before I was on the boards here. One was an Airboy listed as VF, seemed perfect to me. I forget what the other 2 were, but I think they were very close or the same grade as advertised. I think he did give me some discounts on the books.

So I had no problems, I would buy from him again. I would not mention the letters cgc to him.

I take it back...I did have a FASCINATING interaction with him at WWLA in 2008...I must admit, my motives were ulterior. I've had the back and forth with him re: CGC electronically, but he didn't know who I was in person, so I walked up, struck up a casual convo, and then mentioned CGC....

lol

See "Greg White" :roflmao:

I think this thread is a little more interesting...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=835165&fpart=1

I find it even funnier that Russ is commiserating with all those who got ripped off for slow/no refunds and years later it's what got him on the HOS.

lol

lol That's the first guy I thought of as well.

I think this thread is a little more interesting...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=835165&fpart=1

I find it even funnier that Russ is commiserating with all those who got ripped off for slow/no refunds and years later it's what got him on the HOS.

Great read, thanks for the link.

lol

I'd rather not...

Hmm... bought a Wonder Woman # 236 (1977) on August 1st, 2010 from blbcomics on ebay and condition was pretty much as listed; colour was ok, pages ok, sharp corners and staples and spine as should be.

Overall, pretty happy with the transaction; have not sent it to CGC for grading, so cannot comment on any difference on grading.

BTW, also had to contact blbcomics regarding the shipping address that was used, and received a prompt reply without any problems.

Um, with all due respect, the books in the pics we took that night were laid out for all of a few minutes. Everything was secure, this thought pattern you project is irrelevant as once we were done with the pics (for posterity for ourselves), they were replaced into their nice new mag comic boxes along with some foam at prerequisite places so as not to slosh around

Actually, when I think about it, with all due respect, as every one is entitled to what ever opine they choose to perceive, the train of thought here is absurd.

I personally sold well over two thirds of what is erroneously referred to as "San Francisco" copies of what should be properly called the Tom Reilly collection, the name of the deceased sailor who died during World War Two. For many years the #2 Pedigree out there in funny book land. Is it still? I do not keep up with such inanities any more.

Just for the record, I think the Detective 27 which broke a million dollars at a recent Heritage auction was and is the Tom Reilly copy I sold to (then) Houston major collector, later dealer attorney (for Hunt Oil) Burl Rowe back in May/June 1973 for $2200 thereby becoming the very first comic book to break the two grand barrier, then a world's record.

By today's standards it was a VF. Burl sold it to Gary and Lane Carter who then sold it to one one else. World be fun to trace the Heritage Tec 27 backwards to see if the path is crossed.

Burl paid me two grand even for the NM type Whiz 2 (#1) - it was such a beautiful vibrant white paper high grade. Burl bought other high grade Reilly copies for big bucks, but I forget the other books now, lost to the mists of time -:)

I was the main vintage comics person for the Comics & Comix corporation in its earliest incarnations 1972-1975. That Tec2 7 sale which went AP/UPI world wide as a wire service story brought us in three more Tec 27s that month. Had a few more later on over time. This is just one book. I learned early on the power of the media bringing in books and publicity.

Point being, to even hint that myself, and other close friends I let into my warehouse comics research site who end up handling rare books, do not know how to do same, is, well, absurd.

That all said, if the All Stars were left out to be trampled on, well, yes, then you have a point and a case.

When we did this, I had just gotten in a plethora of material which was in the middle of being processed, hence, stacks every where. We were in the receiving area.

What you do not get to see were the six other rooms in the place which contained more of the storage archive areas plus my computer work room.

The room you see is where other books books were processed and I re-iterate, as I assume this to be a serious query, and will treat it as such, the All Stars were laid out for a few minutes, we took a couple shots, then placed them all back into their storage protection.

Jerry Bails was a close friend, and I was honored to be asked to handle his books & art.

Honored.

:jokealert:

Here's the same post in an easier-to-read format:

104113.jpg.0f1cc2d79929739c1453608fdec10639.jpg