• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Skullkickers Appreciation

104 posts in this topic

Ok, so I stopped into a store where I had called yesterday and asked if they would hold a copy. They said they would. Now this was the only extra copy they had. I go in today and the guy tells me that someone else had come in this morning that has a pull box and they gave it to him.

I know that this is not the store I have a box at, but it is a hell of a lot closer to me than the store I always go to. I may have been inclined to give this store some of my business if they hooked me up, but not anymore. This store (which has two locations) pulls all the variants and marks them up. I understand that stores get variants and the majority take those variants and mark them up to eBay prices. But my LCS guy doesn't. It really is nice not paying the massive markups on variants. I was able to get a couple WD 75 variants for cover price him. And that is the reason I stay with my LCS, which I have to drive across town for.

On Monday, I stopped by the local shop where I have a pull list and asked the owner to pull 2 copies of each cover for me. He said he would check to see what they were getting in and he would call me. Since he hadn't called me back by this evening, I called him. He said he was only getting one copy and he would pull it for me. I just checked on eBay and saw 4 copies being sold by my local store with an opening bid of 7.99 each. :frustrated:

Check out the "Speculating in Modern Comics" thread...

;)

I'd thought this sort of behavior by stores was gone. Guess I was wrong. This type of thing deserves all the scorn RMA can heap upon it.

On Monday, I stopped by the local shop where I have a pull list and asked the owner to pull 2 copies of each cover for me. He said he would check to see what they were getting in and he would call me. Since he hadn't called me back by this evening, I called him. He said he was only getting one copy and he would pull it for me. I just checked on eBay and saw 4 copies being sold by my local store with an opening bid of 7.99 each. :frustrated:

Check out the "Speculating in Modern Comics" thread...

;)

I'd thought this sort of behavior by stores was gone. Guess I was wrong. This type of thing deserves all the scorn RMA can heap upon it.

Agreed. That's pretty messed up. That's just like the 90s....... retailers holding books back. Retailers are the problem with this industry (some, not all).

someone bought all the copies off the rack at my main LCS by 11:20 a.m. save for one of each cover that each had a spine nick.

one of the guy who works there who is a speculator was a little ticked as it had not been on his radaar and he figures he missed one.

another LCS I go to had a few left by noon. Dunno how many they ordered.

the "after kirby" cover is cool though. a bunch of people at the stores felt likewise. the other cover is kindah ho-hum.

none ordered at my LCS. I got the "if we order every image book out there, I would have a long box of 50 cent books each month."

Got the hookup at DCBS though.

none ordered at my LCS. I got the "if we order every image book out there, I would have a long box of 50 cent books each month."

Got the hookup at DCBS though.

Anthony I was able to pick up two "Jack Kirby" variants from two seperate shops. If you can't find any let me know and I'll check around for ya.

Also read the story in issue one, it does have that Midevil - Army of Darkness feel to it. However, after reading it I want more of it. I want more zombies, werewolfs, vampires, monster, even Shrek!!!

This series has something to it. And not, not that special touch late at night feel.

wow, some high prices being asked here in the forum on these and I thought I was aiming high with my ebay buy it now option of under $30 for both covers and free shipping. i guess the market will say what these are worth.

the shop owner, if he put them up with $7.99 BINS on ebay (and there were a few of these earlier today, no longer!) seems to have left some money on the table if he's the same guy who skrewed the pull customer in this thread. certainly not worth alienating a potential file customer for an extra $5 (less after ebay fees and other hassle).

a good customer is like money in the bank. some shop owners understand this, others don't. even if it's someone who pops in once a month and spends $20, that's $240 a year. if you have 40-50 of those kinds of customers in addition to the regular once-a-week crowd it could be the difference between bankruptcy and staying afloat for a lot of shops. people remember when a shop is cool with them and will go out of their way. seriously, i hit one shop in NYC maybe 6-10 times a year as it's a little out of the way. the owner always makes sure to be friendly and he treats me like a regular. sometimes i might only spend $10 or $15 there, but other times I might spend a few hundred bucks and I know I'm hardly unique. If he was a cold fish I wouldn't bother returning.

well, i priced my BIN on the 2 issue set at a few bucks less than what other BINs seem to have gone for today and it is GONE.

i have a few more.

i guess if this is the next Chew or WD I'll feel dopey selling quick and not trying to squeeze every last buck out of it, but the story and art didn't grab me like those did. i think it has potential, but no doubt so do a lot of other comics out there I don't bother to read.

those two characters are practically begging to be made into video game characters though