• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another thread dedicated to Ebay sellers and their lack of social skills

28 posts in this topic

I was on Ebay and saw a Critical Care book (I am a RN in a cardiac surgical ICU) that while slightly outdated, the material was highly valuable. Being the book used to retail for about 38 bucks, I thought for $6.50, it was worth it.

I get an email telling me I won the book and I get an invoice. Then......wait for it.......I get this email from the seller two days after the auction ends :

Dear shuley88,

please pay by 11am tomorrow morning (Monday) or I will have to file a dispute for unpaid item and relist. Thanks

- gottagab2u

Now, I have been in the process of moving, packing, shutting off the cable and internet.....and I work 12 hours nights...sometimes, it might take me a day or two to get payment out to someone...whether it's a bill, or payment or whatever....I have a 100% feedback and I am not new to Ebay....

I haven't responded to it yet, but I did pay...with like 19 minutes to spare. I was really caught off guard by this, what I take as a passive aggressive threat. Obviously the six dollars and fifty cents was going to dramatically change this person's life....or they really, really needed this money......

I just think it's :screwy:

I agree, that's a little much. However, did the guy's listing include a "Payment due in 3 days" type of caveat? I'm often guilty of not thoroughly reading through every eBay auction for some of the innane requirements people place in their auctions...but they are their auctions, and I need to abide by what they ask, or I should at least read and move on if it isn't to my liking.

I agree, that's a little much. However, did the guy's listing include a "Payment due in 3 days" type of caveat? I'm often guilty of not thoroughly reading through every eBay auction for some of the innane requirements people place in their auctions...but they are their auctions, and I need to abide by what they ask, or I should at least read and move on if it isn't to my liking.

No, nothing of the sort. I am guilty of doing that too, but I looked at the listing again.

yep thats a bit nuts. I'd normally give a week, then start sending nice reminder emails. But unless they state they want payment right away they gotta take into consideration people bidding from phones, snipe bids, strange working hours, etc. woder what they would have done to you over a $60 book? :ohnoez:

From the Seller's eBay listings: (shrug)

Seller's payment instructions

Please pay within 1 day of sale end!!!! There will be no refunds. If payment not recieved within 1 day, item will be relisted and negative feedback will be recieved. Thanks and good luck bidding....

(Mistakes in spelling are not mine...)

Please pay within 1 day of sale end!!!! There will be no refunds. If payment not recieved within 1 day, item will be relisted and negative feedback will be recieved. Thanks and good luck bidding....

I guess you're right, but that was not apparent when I looked at the listing. I bid on it using my Droid, and that was a day or two before the auction ended. Then I didn't look at it again until I got the email that I won.

Sure, the seller spelled it out. But having it listed doesn't excuse bad behavior. It came across caustically and there is a way to remind someone. This isn't it.

I guess you're right, but that was not apparent when I looked at the listing. I bid on it using my Droid, and that was a day or two before the auction ended. Then I didn't look at it again until I got the email that I won.

Sure, the seller spelled it out. But having it listed doesn't excuse bad behavior. It came across caustically and there is a way to remind someone. This isn't it.

Seller needs to take his cue from Michael Golden: Patience is a virue. :grin:

I understand he listed it as 1 day pay and you kind of agree to it when you purchase.

But,I thought as a seller you couldn't file a dispute until 7 days after auctions end.Plus sellers cant leave neg. feedback for buyers.

I agree that he is overstepping his seller demands, and most likely if not technically (and it may well be) against eBay policy, certainly against the tenor of allowing buyers a reasonable time to send payment.

Anyway, demand or no, I declare this person to be doosh class #1... :sumo:

Whatever happened to manners and courtesy in this society??

While I think the seller's policy is hasty and ill-conceived, I don't see the note to you as caustic or bad behavior. It was very matter of fact and let you know precisely what was going to happen.

While I think the seller's policy is hasty and ill-conceived, I don't see the note to you as caustic or bad behavior. It was very matter of fact and let you know precisely what was going to happen.

I don't know...that's an awful lot of exclamation points... :insane:(shrug)

I understand he listed it as 1 day pay and you kind of agree to it when you purchase.

But,I thought as a seller you couldn't file a dispute until 7 days after auctions end.Plus sellers cant leave neg. feedback for buyers.

I agree that he is overstepping his seller demands, and most likely if not technically (and it may well be) against eBay policy, certainly against the tenor of allowing buyers a reasonable time to send payment.

Anyway, demand or no, I declare this person to be doosh class #1... :sumo:

Whatever happened to manners and courtesy in this society??

It seems like they are getting harder to find nowadays :(

I don't know...that's an awful lot of exclamation points... :insane:(shrug)

Plus he's blowing smoke.Paypal would make him refund and again he can't leave neg. feedback for buyer.

You possibly got a good deal because others read his conditions and didn't want deal with an apparent pill. I know I've won comics on ebay for wonderful prices, including insane shipping costs, which probably scared others away.

I think the King James says something like, "Don't kick against the ."

Nice pick-up, by the way.

Actually, sellers can't file a dispute until 4 days after auction end.

And it doesn't matter what conflicting terms sellers put in their auction, its eBay's field and we all play by their rules.