• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book would you buy for 5k to 7k?

108 posts in this topic

I'd be very reluctant to spend that much on a single book unless my annual income increased by multiples, or I thought the book was an absolute steal that I could resell at a decent profit.

but if I were playing in that sandbox - probably a higher grade Cap #74 - and then sell my raw VG.

Pretty much all Timelys have gone up at least 2-3 times in value since the mid/late 90s in almost any condition except Cap #74. So possibly it's relatively undervalued now ( or it was grossly overvalued then).

I think it was overvalued then, though not grossly. It's one of those books that turned out not to be as scarce as people thought. Can never go wrong with a classic Red Skull Appearance.

High Grade early Marvel Mystery's, All-Winners', All-Selects' or a Weird Mysteries #5 in a 8.0 to 9.0.

Weird Mysteries in 8.0 or 9.0? I have never seen one. Anyone?

WeirdMys_5v2.jpg

WOW. What a copy! (worship)

:olol(worship)

I rest my case.

I was there when he bought that. It would've been mine if he hadn't been there. :baiting: Bethlehem, right?

Yup. It was definitely not cheap at the time. I was really, really close to turning it down.

Only among a select few would this be considered a thing of beauty.

I was reading this post and admiring how awesome that copy was (just got a 6.0 myself, which I love, but it's a far cry from that beauty) and my girlfriend looked over my shoulder and said "you like the creepiest stuff". Eye of the beholder indeed.

I'd be very reluctant to spend that much on a single book unless my annual income increased by multiples, or I thought the book was an absolute steal that I could resell at a decent profit.

but if I were playing in that sandbox - probably a higher grade Cap #74 - and then sell my raw VG.

Pretty much all Timelys have gone up at least 2-3 times in value since the mid/late 90s in almost any condition except Cap #74. So possibly it's relatively undervalued now ( or it was grossly overvalued then).

First book I thought of when I read this thread. I would love a nice Cap 74. Classic stuff.

My criteria for a grail/investment book:

And, for GA, I think restored is almost as good are unrestored. This closed at $5200 in last week's ComicConnect. Maybe not a great deal, but, in a year, it should retain that value. And, for purposes of this thread, it fits nicely in the price range.

About the restored versus unrestored GA, there is still a very large difference in prices. I don't know how it will evolved in the future. Maybe the market for restored will raise because there is not much people who can pay more than 20k for a comic.

It s hard to get some references for purple label because there are many kind of restoration and not so much data to compare each others

First book I thought of when I read this thread. I would love a nice Cap 74. Classic stuff.

I think the Cap 74 was overvalued then. I am more a DC guy than Marvel but why would you see Cap 74 as a mythic important issue

I agree on the FF4, I would prefer a Showcase 22 6-6.5 or a JIM83

Or... a high grade BB28, I think you could it a 8.0 with 7k and this is an issue which will go higher.

2c

My criteria for a grail/investment book:

First Appearance or Major key

Great Cover

Key creative People

All Star 8 does not pass the test

Flash 1 passes the test

Batman 1 passes

Cap 1 passes

Pre Robin Tecs with Batman on the cover

Early Action with Superman on Cover

but those are going to be tough at your money. I might jump out of the early 40s and get something that is harder to find but that you might be able to obtain in a higher grade in the late 40's or early 50's (pre Detective 225).

Well said. :applause:

I agree here. These are not just the books that are consistent in value appreciation, but are also much more liquid than the others. In other words in a pinch, you can find a ready buyer.

And, for GA, I think restored is almost as good are unrestored. This closed at $5200 in last week's ComicConnect. Maybe not a great deal, but, in a year, it should retain that value. And, for purposes of this thread, it fits nicely in the price range.

That was beyond a good deal.

Would it really have been that much different if the cover was taped to the interior and the book got a blue label? I suspect it would have sold for well over $5,200 had that been the case.

And while there is a clear stigma against PLOD's, I don't feel that logic will allow for these deals to continue forever. Especially in instances like this where there was no trimming, CT, pieces replaced, cover-cleaned, etc.

Right now, Tec #33 is a fantastic book to pick-up. It's not "in vogue" at the moment; but there is a very good reason it held the #2 Batman Tec spot for so many years. Covers come in and out of vogue to various degrees (and I do believe Tec #33 sports a classic cover) but it is the content that will help books like Tec #33 endure for the long haul while others fluctuate.

And while Tec #33 has itself fluctuated a bit in recent years, the undeniable importance and historical significance of Batman's origin is enough to put it over the top. I can only think of a very small handful of GA books that are more "important"; and in my biased opinion...Tec #33 will have its day again.

I think the Cap 74 was overvalued then. I am more a DC guy than Marvel but why would you see Cap 74 as a mythic important issue

I agree on the FF4, I would prefer a Showcase 22 6-6.5 or a JIM83

Or... a high grade BB28, I think you could it a 8.0 with 7k and this is an issue which will go higher.

2c

Cap 74 - last timely hero book -unless you count Marvel Boy as a Timely hero, last real Cap issue before the Atlas revival, classic cover -not just for the run - but for all of the GA, horror hybrid issue, and Cap battles Red Skull in hell. It might not be a key in the traditional sense - but it is a grail for many, and not just Cap/Timely collectors.