• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inflated Signature Series Auctions

235 posts in this topic

That he's not getting a cut.lol

And THOSE are not Jim Lee sketches,i do a better Jim Lee than that.

Ill send the link to Jim and see what he says.

Anthony-

If I commission you for your quoted price of $100 or $150....then decide I dont like the art piece because it does not meet my expectations or I change my collection focus. Then sell on ebay for $300-------what would your feelings be in a scenario like that?

The Sketch PG got folded put is not noresible.

???

I don't believe any of the stan lee raws are legit. I took a close look at the one he switcheroo'd me with and it looks off. He has too many of them for too cheap and on stupid books.

Guy is a fraud but people are buying

These 2 definitely don't seem legit to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-FORCE-1-SIGNED-ROB-LIEFELD-STAN-LEE-/250692824136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e74ec48#ht_1386wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daredevil-1-German-Reprint-1st-App-Signed-Stan-Lee-/250628961861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5aa67645#ht_1349wt_913

:shrug:

I don't believe any of the stan lee raws are legit. I took a close look at the one he switcheroo'd me with and it looks off. He has too many of them for too cheap and on stupid books.

These 2 definitely don't seem legit to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-FORCE-1-SIGNED-ROB-LIEFELD-STAN-LEE-/250692824136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e74ec48#ht_1386wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daredevil-1-German-Reprint-1st-App-Signed-Stan-Lee-/250628961861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5aa67645#ht_1349wt_913

:shrug:

They have to be legit, he's including a COA. They GAR-ON-TEE it (thumbs u

fraud.jpg

That's what I was saying earlier...he issues his own CoA with some photographs you can find in about 2s on the net. Again, question marks keep adding up. It's a shame and partially the reason I am hesitant to value anything that is not CGC authenticated, unless it is something I personally had signed and am keeping it for my own collection. Even then, I prefer the authentication if possible.

Anthony-

If I commission you for your quoted price of $100 or $150....then decide I dont like the art piece because it does not meet my expectations or I change my collection focus. Then sell on ebay for $300-------what would your feelings be in a scenario like that?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be too pleased but since its your piece and you bought it outright then its your prerogative. Personally I draw with the thought that the piece is being kept not to be resold at a huge mark up.If its sold at the original commission price then thats cool. Anything more then you should just have the artist counterfeit some 100 bills. Its a tricky question but i hope my answer suffices.

Anthony-

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be too pleased but since its your piece and you bought it outright then its your prerogative. Personally I draw with the thought that the piece is being kept not to be resold at a huge mark up.If its sold at the original commission price then thats cool. Anything more then you should just have the artist counterfeit some 100 bills. Its a tricky question but i hope my answer suffices.

I have a follow up to Seans question. If someone commissions you for lets say 150 and they turn around and sell it for 30 bucks on Ebay. What would your feelings be then?

Or how about you charge someone 5k for a piece and then that person sells it to a gallery for 20k? what then? gonna be pissed?

1st question. Youd have to be a crack head to do that.

2nd question. Youd have to be INSANE to buy my stuff for 20k, let alone 5k.;)

And getting pissed is what happens to trees,id do what Steve Rude is doing,cutting the middle man right out and selingl directly to galleries( if my work ever got to the k stratosphere).

Anthony-

I have a follow up to Seans question. If someone commissions you for lets say 150 and they turn around and sell it for 30 bucks on Ebay. What would your feelings be then?

Or how about you charge someone 5k for a piece and then that person sells it to a gallery for 20k? what then? gonna be pissed?

Having talked to Alex and shows and gotten on his list from time to time I can say that there is little chance that this was a freebee, especially not in color.

This looks like a $150 cost piece to me. Add in the 9.8 blank (between $5 and $10) the cost of the convention badge ($30-40), the cost of grading, slabbing, return shipping ($30-35), and leaving out all the travel costs associated with obtaining a piece like this at a convention (hotel, flight, parking, etc) and the seller is most likely into this piece at a cost of between $215 and $235 without any of his travel expenses included.

If he sells this for full asking price he will net, after all fees, somewhere around $325...so about $100 over what he paid and less than a night in a hotel or one side of a plane ticket.

If it sells for $300 he nets about a $25 profit on the book.

So no one is getting rich here, but since most Ebay buyers don't pay attention to the cost of things to the seller it will seem like Alex's sketches are "worth" $300-400 and it will make it incredibly easy for Alex to fill his $150 sketch list.

I think Alex should be thrilled by the implications to the value of his sketches and the end result to him. If he was selling them for $150 and they were netting $1500 it might be different, but for the $25-100 the seller will wind up with the real winner here is Alex.

Best,

Chris

Anthony-

Having talked to Alex and shows and gotten on his list from time to time I can say that there is little chance that this was a freebee, especially not in color.

This looks like a $150 cost piece to me. Add in the 9.8 blank (between $5 and $10) the cost of the convention badge ($30-40), the cost of grading, slabbing, return shipping ($30-35), and leaving out all the travel costs associated with obtaining a piece like this at a convention (hotel, flight, parking, etc) and the seller is most likely into this piece at a cost of between $215 and $235 without any of his travel expenses included.

If he sells this for full asking price he will net, after all fees, somewhere around $325...so about $100 over what he paid and less than a night in a hotel or one side of a plane ticket.

If it sells for $300 he nets about a $25 profit on the book.

So no one is getting rich here, but since most Ebay buyers don't pay attention to the cost of things to the seller it will seem like Alex's sketches are "worth" $300-400 and it will make it incredibly easy for Alex to fill his $150 sketch list.

I think Alex should be thrilled by the implications to the value of his sketches and the end result to him. If he was selling them for $150 and they were netting $1500 it might be different, but for the $25-100 the seller will wind up with the real winner here is Alex.

Best,

Chris

I feel exactly the same way as Chris does here. That was the point of my questions. If YOU set YOUR price for your artwork and it is PAID.... Then people can do WHATEVER they want with it. Because YOU the artist sold it. (For a price that made YOU happy)

End of your involvement with that art piece then!

I've know Alex since the day he came into the Valiant offices and did not have a clue about Daredevil or Superman. I shared a studio with him and Kevin Kobasic in Chinatown for years. We've hanged out till 3-4 in the morning drunk on the Playtation Hes a good friend .

Believe me I KNOW Alex and he youd be surprise what his reaction would be.

Thrilled? I dont know. But i do know that his prices will go up if he discovered they were being flipped for double.

And the dilemma here isn't what the artist charges for a piece,its whats done by people like our friend who's fleecing unsuspecting buyers. Every artist has their own take on the subject,right or wrong the problem remains the same.