• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Unveils Gay Rawhide Kid in February

117 posts in this topic

When I first heard this through one of the retailer forums about two weeks ago, I was in such disbelief I would have never considered posting the rumor here. Then, last Thursday, when it was confirmed by Marvel, I wanted to scream...

At least Northstar's sexuality has been handled with dignity. Alienating the demographic with THE HIGHEST disposable income makes no sense to me whatsoever. I have no problem with the choice to make the Kid homosexual if it is done well, but a campy version of the gay cowboy is guaranteed to alienate...

I will probably choose not to order a single shelf copy of this series, to avoid having to explain to my customers why Marvel is publishing this garbage. And that's really unfortunate, because I have a half-dozen customers who buy every new western that comes out.

but a campy version of the gay cowboy is guaranteed to alienate...

But what about a comic about gay cowboys eating pudding and exploring their sexuality? That wouldn't alienate anyone but those little South Park scamps!

As for the new direction, I say best wishes to Marvel and I hope it's a success.

Gotta agree with that. I think Shakespeare said something along the lines of "I think thou doth protest too much."???

So the guy is gay. What is the big deal? And why must it always be made into jokes? Insecurity? Immaturity? Lack of seconds-in-command to lock horns with after the main guy mates? What?

But what about a comic about gay cowboys eating pudding and exploring their sexuality? That wouldn't alienate anyone but those little South Park scamps!

DAMMIT Mud! I was going to say that! I can't believe I made it all the way to the VERY LAST POST and you had beaten me to it. But seriously, where WAS CI getting all those horribly-cut scans from so quickly?? I'm thinking wallpaper...

And 'House. How dare you have previous knowledge of this and NOT share it with the rest of us! If you hear anything about "Ultimate Lesbian Care Bear Beastiality Happy Fun Beach Party" or the addition of "The Smurfs" to the Marvel Max line, you'd better haul over here and tell us about it.

Second to the last post - by three minutes (hmmmmmm? not saying anything!)

If I wasn't so busy sorting through all my duplicate runs of Rawhide Kid so I can shill... er, sell them to the specs that will come a'runnin', then I would have finished my post sooner and YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BEATEN ME!!!!!!!!

Savor the flavor, pov. I'll be back, and you'll be sorry. :::eyes narrow:::

We are Canucks! BTW, at least we are faster than the slow footed Iowans on your team! tongue.gif

P.S. My predition for Hinrich's next injury: Torn ACL on his right knee! shocked.gif

Then we're gonna take care of him -- real slow like!

CI - These scans are friggin' hilarious!!!! LMAO. I do kind of agree w/ Lighthouse though, as the "campy" nature of the new book could be viewed as discriminatory. Either way, Marvel made a bad choice. Can't wait for Ultimate Rawhide Kid, "Now...Twice as Flaming!"

But didn't DC alread break this barrier when they introduced Green Arrow? (Sorry Dave! You know I gotta take a shot at you every once in awhile! grin.gif )

Chris

Excellent thread! Good info Gene. CI - you are MASTER of the funny scan - yet your grasp of the Rawhide run is inexplicably very handy (not that there is anything wrong with that wink.gif )

Here's to slabbing the perfect 10.0 - first Perfect Modern Marvel Gay Title character comic (although my Northstar 1 mini-series would have the # 1 contender spot for that title) !!!!

Looking at the Westerns/Cowboy genre in light of today's daily occurrences (shadow of war looming, international terrorism rampant, grammar school kids busting out glocks during recess - yes, that means our Ricky!), these once revered paragons of machismo, back in the day with John Wayne and Roy Rogers, now are categorized and portrayed as effeminate with their flamboyant and brightly colored costumes. Just flipping thru the cable channels, I came across some movie with Tom Berenger as this dressed in bright blue and white do-gooder cowboy and that hot red-head lady from Taxi, Marilu Henner, plays the town whore...really funny but campy and comedic. Also Don Cheadle with his outdated penchant for dressing up as a cowboy in Boogie Nights...memorable impression that cowboys are portrayed effeminately in the media today. As the song goes...Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys...;)

Is it any wonder that Marvel would resussicitate this title from any other angle? They seem to being equating Cowboys with the flaming camp portrayal in the media lately and hoping that will sell. Approaching this in the conventional way will show you what most of us know...Classic Westerns are out and seem to be no place for them in today's sales. Homosexual camp works for Vertigo's Codename Knockout...why not in the Rawhide Kid?

Hope I'm not offending anyone. This post is not meant to, but I apologize if it does grin.gif .