• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Unveils Gay Rawhide Kid in February

117 posts in this topic

I'm sorry folks.......but I'm going to have to speak my mind on this one. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way in here........maybe not........but I'm going to say my piece anyway.

I think the whole idea of this comic is wrong and I believe that the homosexual lifestyle is wrong. If someone is homosexual, then that's their business and I'm not going to look down on them. But I don't believe that this stuff belongs in a medium that is read regularly by children. Now.....I'm guilty of laughing at some of the jokes in this thread, but when they start targeting children and teenagers (among others).....that really PI$$ES me off.

"Let those without sin cast the first stone"............ Believe me, I'm not casting any stones. If I ever saw anyone physically assaulting someone because they were gay, it would take the person doing the assaulting at least a week to pull my size 10 shoe out of his .

It seems to me like Marvel is doing this for the "shock" or the "wow" factor or even just for the publicity that it will generate (In my opinion, it's just the next "death of Superman" type cheap gimmick). And I think that's reprehensible. There are millions of people in America that think homosexuality is wrong and try to teach their morals to their kids. And to start having this stuff shoved into kids faces telling them that it's ok is not right. Teaching basic morals is up to the parents and the Church.........it's not up to Marvel and their frigging bottom line.

I could go on for about 5 pages more.......but I've said my piece and I'll drop it. This was not intended to offend anyone but I won't apologize for the moral teachings from the Bible.

Bug -

I agree w/ some of the things you said...I think you've hit the nail on the head with your reasoning as to why Marvel would do this. Shock Value/Controversy = Big Sales.

Does anyone think that this book would sell otherwise? I dunno.

As for some of the other stuff you said....I say, "Take cover! This thread is about to explode!" I'm outta here!

Chris

But I don't believe that this stuff belongs in a medium that is read regularly by children.

What medium is that exactly? Marvel's MAX line? If that's read regularly by children then I'm confused about its purpose and I'm also a little disturbed. I'm also 100% wrong about the comics demographic. I guess it's the old "comics are for kids" argument. I never expect to hear that from inside the hobby. If that's the way you feel, and you've got to clean up the industry, then you've got a a lot bigger fish to fry than this goofy gay cowboy eating pudding.

I have to preface this by saying you can believe what you want, and if you believe homosexuality is wrong, that's your perogative.

My question to you, and actually to everybody else, is to cite just where in the Bible homosexuality is taught to be wrong? I can't find it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to understand your viewpoint.

As for some of the other stuff you said....I say, "Take cover! This thread is about to explode!" I'm outta here!

Yeah......I figured that it might. But, that's what I believe and there is no hate in my post. It's just that it's hard enough for Christian parents to raise their kids in a moral way consistent with the Bible without a stupid comic company coming along and trying to impart their own moral views.

I know people are probably going to slam me in here......and all I can do is refer them back up to the last sentence in my previous post.

First off mudbuddha......DON'T MISQUOTE ME BY ONLY PICKING SELECTIVE WORDS OUT OF MY STATEMENT THAT TWISTS THE MEANING ! ! !

That is just not appropriate.

My statement said "children and teenagers (among others)"

Next......get your head out of the sand. If you don't think that Marvels MAX line is read frequently by children, then I'm not going to be able to convince you of anything and won't bother trying. And it is certainly read by teenagers and others as was included in my statement.

And I never said I need to clean up the industry. Why is it when someone disagrees with someone elses thinking in here, all of a sudden the meanings get twisted so FRIGGING far out of proportion. I stated my beliefs and opinions Mud......that's it......quit taking it for more than I said. mad.gif

My question to you, and actually to everybody else, is to cite just where in the Bible homosexuality is taught to be wrong? I can't find it.

That's an intelligent and very good question donut. One of the instances is in the story of Soddam and Gahmora (sp?). This was one of the reasons given for God destroying the cities. I'll see if I can't find some exact quotes and instances from the bible and post them later today.

I don't think many comics at all are read by children. So, I disagree with you there. As for "twisting" your words, this is the sentence in its entirely

But I don't believe that this stuff belongs in a medium that is read regularly by children. Now.....I'm guilty of laughing at some of the jokes in this thread, but when they start targeting children and teenagers (among others).....that really PI$$ES me off.

In reality I didn't go into this as far as I would ahve liked when commenting on this section. I just didn't want to get into a big thing (oh well.) I also disagree that Marvel is "targeting" children and teenagers. Why would a gay character be targeted at children and teenagers? Do you think Marvel has an agenda to promote homosexuality to children and teenagers or something? Because there certainly wouldn't be any sort of business reason to market this books to kids. Last time I checked, the culture of the hormone fueled teenage male was more often than not- virulently homophobic.

As for the rest, I know you didn't say you needed to clean up the industry. I was playing off of your righteous indignation. The way I see it, if you're going to get worked up about this, why not get worked up about any other comics? If just the announcment of this book gets your goat to the point you're willing to bring down a flame war on yourself, what the heck do you think about soemthing like Preacher or The Authority or, insert hundreds of books here (including X-Men!). Maybe those books bug you as well. I just haven't seen any evidence of it here on these boards. That's what I'm getting at.

As for twisting the meaning out of proportion... I don't mean to. I just don't share your attitude or opinions on this matter. It's an alien attitude to me. So I'm bound to misundertand you.

Whoa Buddah! Hold on there! Preacher was one of the most wholesome, warm-hearted comics ever. It dealt with religion, family issues, true love. Where do you come off with such blasphemy! A story for the whole family! Disney should make a movie! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Chris (lol)

One thing to keep in mind here is that regardless of whether or not you adhere to Biblical points of view about certain lifestyles, this series certainly doesn't look like it's going to offer any sort of flattering or positive view of homosexuality. Based on the pre-release hype, the awful jokes, and the over-the-top campiness, it looks like this comic will be catering to the worst possible stereotypes about gay men, making the kind of jokes that - if directed at an ethnicity or religious belief - would doubtless draw ire from many corners. Hopefully it won't be as bad as all that, but since it's being written by Ron Zimmerman, I can only imagine the depths of juvenile depravity to which this series will sink. It could very well be an amusing footnote in Marvel history, but it's likelier to be a very embarrassing and offensive news story...which may be what they want, as warped as that might be.

(Donut, my answer is down a little further... this isn't directed at you.)

Ugh, this whole thread makes me sick now. At first it was funny that Marvel was grabbing at this straw in yet another pathetic stunt to draw attention to themselves... But now we've got the "You're sick and wrong, but I pity you nonetheless" (how magnanimous) bible-thumpin' viewpoint, and this is just going to get uglier (unless everyone makes a conscious decision to keep themselves above the muck).

The bible does say (I'll paraphrase) that thou shalt not lay with a man as with a woman. Whoop-dee-do. I love how people will hide behind the scripture when it's convenient, but completely abandon the teachings when it suits their own causes. (Not necessarily a personal attack, Bug.... unless you can apply it to your own life?)

And, I'm sorry, but it seems to me that most people that think homosexuality is "wrong" (boy, that's already a loaded statement, no?), are people who don't actually KNOW any homosexuals. Homosexuality is not a choice (ask my brother). Homosexuality isn't even an exclusively human trait. I mean, it's tired rhetoric, but it holds true. So can someone be "wrong" for being who they are?

And please, feel free to reply, but I'm not going to get bogged down in semantics or squirming logical arguments... so if you have something to contribute, feel free.

I don't think many comics at all are read by children. So, I disagree with you there.

All I can say is that I see kids in my local comic shop all the time, so I'm going to disagree with you on that point. I think plenty of kids still read comics. Do I think they read them as much as they used to in the past......of course not.

I also disagree that Marvel is "targeting" children and teenagers. Why would a gay character be targeted at children and teenagers? Do you think Marvel has an agenda to promote homosexuality to children and teenagers or something? Because there certainly wouldn't be any sort of business reason to market this books to kids

And sorry.....but I think that you're wrong about them not targeting children and teenagers with this. Why else do you think it's such a shock to the industry?

This subject is brought up in magazines, books, television, radio, etc., etc., etc., thousands of times on a daily basis. Why is it such a big deal in the comics industry???? Because this is a medium still read by young audiences. Sorry Mud......but that is.....by it's very definition.......targeting.

There most certainly is business reason to do this. The shock value, publicity, strangeness, etc. will all prompt people to check the book out. THAT is their business reason. Mud.......I'm not saying that they are doing this to promote homosexuality........I'm saying they are doing it for the bottom line........and in doing so are promoting homosexuality. The end result is still the same for the end user.

I'm not trying to be righteous. Are you? If you think I'm trying to sound that way, then you certainly come off trying to sound just as righteous with your way of thinking don't you?

The way I see it, if you're going to get worked up about this, why not get worked up about any other comics? If just the announcment of this book gets your goat to the point you're willing to bring down a flame war on yourself, what the heck do you think about soemthing like Preacher or The Authority or, insert hundreds of books here (including X-Men!). Maybe those books bug you as well. I just haven't seen any evidence of it here on these boards. That's what I'm getting at.
That's an ignorant statement Mud. If I was getting worked up about another book, then you'd just say why aren't you getting worked up about the Rawhide Kid book. You're trying to get me into a catch 22 here and it's not a fair arguement. I'm not familiar with Preacher or The Authority. Start a thread on them, let me do some research into them, and we can debate about them all day long. This thread is about this book........I'm voicing my opinion on this book..........we are discussing this book........what is wrong with that? I haven't been on these boards long enough or seen threads about these other books in order to discuss them. My point is that what you are getting at with this arguement is weak.

Bug -

My advice to you would be, if you find "Rawhide Kid" offensive, stay as far away from Preacher as you possibly can. I doubt you'd find any entertainment value in it. I have a friend who collects and is religious (I am not), and he will not touch Preacher due to the content...and he loves Garth Ennis!!!

Chris

Hey Khaos,

I wasn't really trying to get this thread bogged down. I was just trying to give my opinion on the issue without quoting or singleing out anyone else on this thread and directly disagreeing with them.

I should have known it wouldn't stay that way......but I wanted to state my opinion just like everyone else is allowed to do in here. I wasn't hateful in my post or derogatory in any way. And actually, I have 3 friends that are homosexual, including one that I was roomates with for more than a year. Believe me, there is no hate or disrespect intended in my posts.

You can downplay it if you want, but the Bible is clear. I don't pass judgement, because I've done plenty wrong according to the Bible. But, I know it's wrong and don't try to justify it. If a person has a compusion that literally forces them to steal, I can certainly feel sorry for the person, but I won't agree that it's ok, even if they didn't choose to be this way.

And I agree with you arnoldt. Besides the subject matter, I think the way it seems they are going to handle this comic is in EXTEMELY poor taste.

If agreeing with the teachings of the Bible is your definition of a bigot.....then by all means.......continue in ignorance. And sorry.....the only thing that I find offensive is the word offensive.......liberals get offended at way too much for me to even bother trying not to offend them.

I'm backing out of this. It's going to go around in circles and I don't have the energy (or the inclination- arguments like this are basically pointless. Nothing ever comes of them.)

But I will say- if the idea of this book bothers you- go ahead and research The Authority and Preacher. You'll definitely have a couple more books to concern you. But don't stop there. Research half the books on the shelves. Poke around some of those Vertigo titles, some of the Max books. Pay special attention to the collected works of Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis. Poke around the mainstream titles as well. Green Lantern, X-Men, wherever the Beast is appearing these days. Familiarize yourself with the new comics landscape.