• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Unveils Gay Rawhide Kid in February

117 posts in this topic

Later issues, not much - For the early issues in the run, the top left corner has the logo - if it says Cherry Comics then it is a reprint - worth cover price. If it has Yentzler and G... (I forget - Lighthouse would know) in there then itis worth multiples of cover only in the greatest of condition, preferably stain free tongue.gif

Notice that in that advertisement for the show, they misspell "Spider-Man" as "Spiderman" first, and then in the list of guests, they credit Stan Lee as the creator of Superman. Proof positive, if any be needed, that when it comes to comics - or hell, just about anything else - the mainstream news media is composed of .

Made the FRONT pg w/ pic 02Dec13 in Canada's National Post newspaper. Rawhide Kid's cowboy hat is made fr Cdn Beaver pelts. Art by J Severin the original Rawhide Kid artist. J Quesada also mentions the buddy-buddy relationship between the not so-Lone Ranger & his trusty sidekick Tonto. shocked.gif

I find it particularly interesting that all of this media hub-bub is occurring mere DAYS before retailers have to submit their orders for this book from the February Previews.

It's not that people can actually walk into stores and buy or boycott the Rawhide Kid comic book. So it seems pretty odd that people have become so passionate about something they can't even see.

When I saw the ad (before the news leaked) my reaction was pretty tepid. The Rawhide Kid? Ron Zimmerman? No thanks. Even if they had revealed in that preview that he was gay I still couldn't have cared less. The series would have come out, bombed and that would have been the end of it.

Now we have left wing groups up in arms - "Are they exploiting/making fun of homosexuals to sell books?" and now we have right wing groups up in arms - "How dare they expose our children to this! Comics are for kids."

Personally, I think that since kids aren't going to be reading this MAX comic that is to be sold to adults only, that the woman that was questioning Stan Lee last night should have done a little bit of research before going on about kids being exposed to this comic and comics being a largely children's medium, which hasn't been the case for many years.

While some of us may wish that children were buying and trading comics we all know that they are not... and if there are a few that actually do then they would not be able to buy this comic because it is to be sold to adults only.

Stan at one point said "I wish" to that person's assertions that kids would be buying this book. I'm certain that he meant not this book, but comics in general. If they were then Marvel wouldn't be resorting to inducing sales by orchestrating "controversial" events like this one.

Only in America will you find people getting up in arms about how kids will react to a magazine that is not designed, marketted or sold to kids in any way. On the other hand, this "gotta see this" attitude so perversely embraced by North American popular culture should drive sales thru the roof as everyone will want to know just how far Marvel will go in showing the Kid's sexual preferences.

Let me save you some time - the book is going to come out, there's going to be some allusions in the story to the Kid's new sexual orientation, but the book will largely be about something else entirely and given Zimmerman's track record it will probably suck (the story that is) and fade back into obscurity.

The only argument that I can really buy is that there was no evidence that Rawhide was gay before and that this seems like a non-event to generate sales and controversy, which is why we are hearing about it in the media before retailers place their orders rather than as a reaction to a story that someone in the media came across on a comic rack.

Kev

BTW if Stan Lee is suing Marvel, why is he appearing on tv news programs as the Marvel Chairman Emeritus and why is he seeing the art ahead of time and asking for changes in dialogue before publication?

BTW if Stan Lee is suing Marvel, why is he appearing on tv news programs as the Marvel Chairman Emeritus and why is he seeing the art ahead of time and asking for changes in dialogue before publication?

Looks like Vince McMahon is branching out into scripting the daily goings on at Marvel HQ!!! loltongue.gif

Difference between the Gay Rawhide Kid series and the regular Rawhide Kid Series

Instead the title blurb , blazing western action - it is changed to Flaming western action.

After he shoots his gun , instead of blowing the smoke out of the barrel he sucks on it.

Every member of the Rawhide Kid's posse is named Bruce, Chad,and Stevey.

"Pardner" ( as in howdy pardner ) has an entirely different meaning. His only "pardners" are the aforementioned members of his posse.

He now prefers the saddles with a knob to hold onto so he can turn the saddle backwards on the sit on the knob.

The Kid giggles every time he hears "he is going to pump him full of lead"

He now wears crotchless leather chaps - and thats it.

He names his horse Buttercup.

He names his guns Fluffy and Buffy.

When the bad guy tells him to dance while firing his gun, The Rawhide kid breaks into his interpretation of Swan Lake.

The handles of his guns are shaped strangly like a male reproductive organ.

Now he constantly complains that the local store does not offer any lavender leather pants.

His posse all sleep in the same bed at hotels.... and he is seen bringing his horse whip to bed.

Every time he is in a saloon he now offers to push in someone's stool.

He gets confused when the sherrif tells him he has to sundown to blow this town and responds that he would need at least a full day.

To strike terror , instead of telling bad guys he is going to fill them full of holes he tells them he is going to fill their hole.

Instead of riding off into the sunset, he wistfully looks longingly into it and begins to cry because it is so beautiful.

Even though he tries to hide his homosexuality, he still can't help answering to " hey there little lady"

When in a saloon, he now considers a fart a love call.

It is revealed that for the first time in American history, he coins the term hung like a horse.

It is finally revealed how he truly got the name "Rawhide Kid"

In the final issue , he misinterprets what is meant by a "manhunt" and that he is going to be strung up and have his necked stretched .He let's himself be captured by a posse and killed.

Now we have left wing groups up in arms - "Are they exploiting/making fun of homosexuals to sell books?" and now we have right wing groups up in arms - "How dare they expose our children to this! Comics are for kids."

I don't know why I'm jumping onto this one - bored I guess - But nothing changes - Wertham in his 'Seduction of the Innocent', 1953 suggested that Batman and Robin were homosexual archetypes. We all know that Wertham's book partly resulted in the formation of the Comics Code, and seems to me Batman didn't suffer too much from Wertham's interpretation. But more than that Wertham's assertation partly resulted in a new category of books for collectors - 'Pre-Code' - I wonder what would happen if Marvel's plans were so successful that some of their other characters were also made 'gay'? Would it in fact result in another collecting category 'Pre-Sexuality Change'?

CURRENT NEWS: Marvel mini-series revamps long-time cowboy character

The Rawhide Kid is back, but not as fans will remember him. Marvel is "outing" the character in a five-issue mini-series titled Rawhide Kid: Slap Leather! The story, written by Ron Zimmerman with art by John Severin, is featured in December's issue of Previews for February shipping with the description, "Get ready to slap leather! That loveable red-headed scamp is back! And no one handles a hot rod like the Rawhide Kid!"

Marvel Chairman Emeritus Stan Lee was interviewed on CNN's Crossfire Dec. 12. "I think it is fine," Lee said. "Among us today, there are gay people. We have one gay hero. There's nothing wrong with that. I am sure there are gay heroes who exist."

The media attention on the upcoming comic book has been huge, with Crossfire's hook being, "Should gay characters be in your children's comic-book pages?" Donna Barr, creator of the long-running Desert Peach series whose title character is gay, told CBG, that the character's sexual orientation should not matter, if the story is told correctly. "Characters are not 'homosexual' or 'heterosexual.' They are human beings who have private lives that may be moved by

one form of sexual liking or another," she said.