• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's get some things straight...

181 posts in this topic

Misconceptions annoy me.

Overvalued/undervalued - How can a book be overvalued or undervalued? The value of something is what the market will bear at any given point. DD #1 isn't worth what ASM #1 is worth, despite the former being a significant first appearance, because people aren't willing to pay for it. Someone thinking something should be worth more/less doesn't make it so.

Black/dark covers are rarer in HG - Again, how can this be? Assume 2 books roll off the presses in perfect condition; one is a black cover, one is yellow. Billy buys the black cover, Jimmy buys the yellow. Both boys take their books home, read them, then leave them on the couch. Both boys have very fat mothers, who are nearsighted, and both mothers sit on those copies. Assuming the exact same conditions (same couch, both mothers are the same weight, both have arses that are roughly the same same) why would the black cover sustain more damage?

Investment grade - WTF is an investment grade? If you buy a 5.0 Hulk 181 at a garage sale for $10, that's a better investment than a 9.8 Hulk 181 purchased for 40K. The grade of a book you buy is irrelevant in terms of "investment potential", only the price point matters.

Grail - Please look this word up; in the context of collecting, it's misused 99% of the time.

Commodity - Again, please look this word up, and use it accordingly.

Please feel free to contribute any common misconceptions, myths and misused terms that float around this hobby.

Oh, and 10,000 posts after nearly 8 years. My mother would be proud.

disagree on the back cover. i really do think the same amount of wear looks worse on the black cover and stuff that doesn't show on a white cover (like what appear to be scratches) shows up on a black.

then again, the black cover won't be dirty on the back.

a spine tick on a white cover is going to be harder to see/less obtrusive than one a black cover whee the color will be chipped off and you will see the white of the paper. maybe they should be graded the same, but from an eye appeal perspective the lighter cover looks like it should be a higher grade.

of course the same can be said for any dark cover, not just a black one.

agree on everything else.

disagree on the back cover. i really do think the same amount of wear looks worse on the black cover and stuff that doesn't show on a white cover (like what appear to be scratches) shows up on a black.

The same amount of wear may look worse on a black cover, but ultimately it's the same amount of wear, and should therefore garner the same technical grade.

Misconceptions annoy me.

Overvalued/undervalued - How can a book be overvalued or undervalued? The value of something is what the market will bear at any given point. DD #1 isn't worth what ASM #1 is worth, despite the former being a significant first appearance, because people aren't willing to pay for it. Someone thinking something should be worth more/less doesn't make it so.

Black/dark covers are rarer in HG - Again, how can this be? Assume 2 books roll off the presses in perfect condition; one is a black cover, one is yellow. Billy buys the black cover, Jimmy buys the yellow. Both boys take their books home, read them, then leave them on the couch. Both boys have very fat mothers, who are nearsighted, and both mothers sit on those copies. Assuming the exact same conditions (same couch, both mothers are the same weight, both have arses that are roughly the same same) why would the black cover sustain more damage?

Investment grade - WTF is an investment grade? If you buy a 5.0 Hulk 181 at a garage sale for $10, that's a better investment than a 9.8 Hulk 181 purchased for 40K. The grade of a book you buy is irrelevant in terms of "investment potential", only the price point matters.

Grail - Please look this word up; in the context of collecting, it's misused 99% of the time.

Commodity - Again, please look this word up, and use it accordingly.

Please feel free to contribute any common misconceptions, myths and misused terms that float around this hobby.

Oh, and 10,000 posts after nearly 8 years. My mother would be proud.

God, I love you.

:luhv:

The same amount of wear may look worse on a black cover, but ultimately it's the same amount of wear, and should therefore garner the same technical grade.

There actually is truth to the idea of a darker cover being tougher to find.

Certain ink colors are more brittle than others, and where a more pliable color (generally lighter) may only react to handling wear by producing a bend, a dark color book may actually break the ink and create a crease.

Food for thought, Anaximenes the Materialist.

:makepoint:

No, no, see, you don't understand. Black ink is made by dumping all the other inks in a big vat, thus mixing the colors and creating a weaker bonding cohesion from the resultant ink blend.

EVERYBODY knows that. :makepoint:

That, or black/dark inks send out a subconscious radio signal that says "scrape me, fold me, bend me, abuse me!"...not unlike some women I know, so this theory may have merit...

hm

No, no, see, you don't understand. Black ink is made by dumping all the other inks in a big vat, thus mixing the colors and creating a weaker bonding cohesion from the resultant ink blend.

EVERYBODY knows that. :makepoint:

That, or black/dark inks send out a subconscious radio signal that says "scrape me, fold me, bend me, abuse me!"...not unlike some women I know, so this theory may have merit...

hm

See. Above.

:eyeroll: