• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobbledygook Set [First Printing] + Issue #1 Original Cover Art - Mirage/Turtles

87 posts in this topic

yeah this is nowhere close and more like the cover of more fun 51 (spectre panel inside) than the cover of 52, to use that analogy. Still freakin' awesome, but nowhere near tmnt 1 awesome.

You're mixing up most important CA comic/event with "most valuable CA original art and cover". No way an OA cover *without* the Turtles on it would sell anywhere near one that does, especially their first cover appearance.

I would never dispute the simplistic monetary value of TMNT OA covers, since that obviously isn't what I was referring to.

I'm not mixing up a dam thing. You're the cuckoo :screwy: trying to call a book that has a turtles "coming soon" ad as being the most important CA book, which it is most definitely not.

What YOU appear to be mixing up (I won't presume to speak in absolutes since I can't read your mind) is my analogy. I am likening it to MF51 because that book, like this one, has a coming soon ad and nothing more (of significance).

Its an awesome little CA rarity and desirable but not very important in the grand scheme of things.

Why would this be potentially the most important CA comic?
IMO it isn't. No way in hell. I personally have been a fan of the TMNT comics for at least 20 years (Whenever the 1st print trades came out) and have only heard of this book recently. It's a cool book for sure, but one that not many people have heard of, and believe it or not, a LOT of people don't consider advertisements and previews "1st appearances." I'm one of them (shrug)

Because it's the first printed appearance of the Turtles ever, and on the back cover to boot. Now I'm *not* saying that TMNT #1 is not more important in the grand scheme of things to the majority of collectors (we can't all agree), only that this is a very under-rated book, and likely only because it's so incredibly rare.

I'd like to see what the back cover OA to GG #1 would bring in on the current market.

[and believe it or not, a LOT of people don't consider advertisements and previews "1st appearances." I'm one of them (shrug)

If it wasn't on the back cover, on a full-page spread, I would agree with you, but GG #1 is definitely a special case.

tmntad.jpg

No, its not, in the same way that Tec 144 isn't the first appearance of Superboy. There's even a house ad in the prehero DCs for Action 1 IIRC but you don't see anyone calling that the first appearance of superman. Not to mention all the marvel full page house ads for first appearance books.

Its a freakin' back cover of a book that never came out. If anything the house ads are a STRONGER argument because they were actual commercial releases. Look at the front cover again. Where's the cover price??? That's right, no price. That should tell you all you need to know. These were pet projects intended to be given away to friends and acquaintances, like this *publisher*. You had to be in the inner circle to even get a copy and when you did get a copy you didn't pay for it. It isn't even really a comic book in the normal way we think about comics. So to sum it up

a) its an ad not an appearance

b) by definition a first appearance must be a commercial release, which this was not

It's an AWESOME book but one thing it sure isn't is the first appearance of the turtles.

I'd like to see what the back cover OA to GG #1 would bring in on the current market.

huh? It would just be a stat of the tmnt cover with some paste-ups. Or are you in a roundabout way saying what would the tmnt 1 cover go for? (which would be interesting I agree)

i never understood why this book went for so much. it would be a cool rare book if i was a turtles or mirage completist but ive always thought this was massivly over rated, up there with 1st blue beast, 1st blade and 1st moonknight.....who really cares. ( but i do at least know these other books are 1st appearances where as i dont think this counts as one). just my 2 cents

My appeal is that I like Eastman and Laird and I like small press self published stuff. I like black & white covers too :)

And it's comic-nerd satisfying to have someting so small in print run that few others have.

Importance? Not really.

Cool? Absolutely.

My appeal is that I like Eastman and Laird and I like small press self published stuff. I like black & white covers too :)

And it's comic-nerd satisfying to have someting so small in print run that few others have.

Importance? Not really.

Cool? Absolutely.

Agreed. I buy comics with 20-50 print runs all the time lol

Many thank to all of you on this board for your expert opinions. The lot is now in the hands of Steve Borock at Heritage Auctions. It will be featured in their February auction.

Thanks again.

~Paul

do i get a commission %? :whistle::wishluck:

Many thank to all of you on this board for your expert opinions. The lot is now in the hands of Steve Borock at Heritage Auctions. It will be featured in their February auction.

Thanks again.

~Paul

Ummm... go back to the first page and see who told him to contact Steve Borock at Heritage. :sumo:

(So... yeah, what about that commission %?) :popcorn:

Thanks again.

~Paul

Ummm... go back to the first page and see who told him to contact Steve Borock at Heritage. :sumo:

(So... yeah, what about that commission %?) :popcorn:

Thanks for backing me up Greg! my post on Heritage was above yours, as well as my private PM's to him, but don't worry...I'm not looking for a handout. :baiting: