• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Original Comic Art

10 posts in this topic

Authenticating is one thing, especially with commissions and sketches, to verify forgeries or identifying any lightboxing, inks over blue lines, etc.

I don't think original art itself gets forged since it's a massive undertaking, and at least for stuff before 2000, when artists used to have to send their art back to the publishers (now I think it's all via email) the back would be stamped with the copyright information.

I do see a lot of artwork, that some may consider original art others, not so much - - when the inker sells the inked bluelines of the artwork and the penciler sells their pencils separate - - which is considered the original, or are they both? I'd prefer them as a set of course.

I know I've seen pieces I own the pencils of by Tim Seeley and Drew Johnson subsequently have the inked over blue lines version for sale (by the authorized inker of course) - - and quite honestly, sometimes the pencils are faint and light and the inked version is more recognizable as the original art to what was eventually published... but it always seems that the pencils command higher values than the inked piece, when separated.

As for grading artwork, it's too subjective with just the nature of the "it is what it is" addage concerning aftermarket production processes like when the corners are clipped, white out on the art, use of stats, hole punches at the top.

And many love seeing the writer's and artists notes on the margins, as well as sometimes you get prelim sketches on the back - - to many collectors those are bonuses they'd pay more for, not flaws.

So, again, to me grading is unnecessary, but I do think authenticating might be good... especially in today's age with all of those sketch covers remarked and high priced commissions (I heard one of my friends pieces was basically taken off the internet, printed out, then traced over with fresh ink for the illusion of being original artwork, then offered for sale on eBay a few years ago!)

I don't think original art itself gets forged since it's a massive undertaking, and at least for stuff before 2000, when artists used to have to send their art back to the publishers (now I think it's all via email) the back would be stamped with the copyright information.

I'm sorry to say it does and it has been.

I do think authenticating might be good... especially in today's age with all of those sketch covers remarked and high priced commissions

In theory yes, that is good. The problem is who's going to be checking and who are you going to trust? Authenticating original art is an extremely specialized thing. There are people who are the "expert" for certain artists and completely useless when it comes to other artists. Look at how many people complain about CGC and their subjective grading. With any grading in general you can take a piece and resubmit for a different grade. I don't think you can have an organization that would be complete and specialized enough to handle all the different types of artwork that would be submitted. Is this Kane? Is this Starlin as Kane's assistant? Is this Colletta's inks or one of his hired hands? Is this Frank Giacoia or is it Joe Giella who pitched in to help Frank Giacoia that weekend? All are valid questions and for each one of these I know who to contact. To think you can have a one-stop service that will handle all questions of authenticity is unrealistic.

I've said many times that the only way to feel comfortable with any piece is to do your own research and develop your own contacts. I would take other people's opinions under advisement but make the final decision as to whether I believe it's authentic or who to go to I can trust.

original has been forged in huge amounts

among material that has been forged

Science Comics #1 cover

Planet Comics covers (several)

Krazy Kat sunday pages

Crumb art

Frazetta art

Margaret Brundage Weird Tales cover

some of these - like the GA covers specifically - were forged numerous times by the same forger who traded them to comic dealers in the 1980s

as to grading art.. by what standard??

if you want a specific piece of art and it has tape or whiteout or is torn, do you really care??

it isn't a comic book which people use a loup to see minute creases

grading art is ridiculous

Grading art is ridiculous as each page should be one of a kind (not taking into account currently pencils and inked pages being seperate). There won't be two identical pages of art out there, so if you wanted that particular page, it's not like you will be able to choose between one that's graded a 9 and one that's graded a 6. If you want that particular page, you are stuck getting it in it's current condition. I can see the need for authentication of art, but grading is just not a good idea.