• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's the person I need to talk to update the Census?

70 posts in this topic

I don't understand why a person would need a weekly update on the numbers in the census. Not in a belligerent, you-collect-differently-than-me, way, but in an honest way. I don't get why it would matter.

What kind of books?

There's a diffence betwen buying books and CGC books. I like to buy CGC books that are low in quanity. Besides, these are CGC books, I can't read them. Plus, if I am going to shell out 300-400 bucks on certain CGC books, I want to know the quantity.

Not to offend, but I hope your stay in the hobby is short and painful, and I look forward to people buying your comics for pennies on the dollar in about 10 years when you rediscover them in your spare bedroom.

But I do mean that in the nicest possible way. :foryou:

Actually, you are offending me.

Don't take any notice of all the negativity...there's a place for plastic-collectors as well on the boards. (thumbs u

There's a diffence betwen buying books and CGC books. I like to buy CGC books that are low in quanity. Besides, these are CGC books, I can't read them. Plus, if I am going to shell out 300-400 bucks on certain CGC books, I want to know the quantity.

Not to offend, but I hope your stay in the hobby is short and painful, and I look forward to people buying your comics for pennies on the dollar in about 10 years when you rediscover them in your spare bedroom.

But I do mean that in the nicest possible way. :foryou:

:applause:

TF? ???

You can't buy books unless the census has been updated?

Christonabike, this ain't the hobby I joined. doh!

On a bike? I thought he was on a crutch.

On a laptop. You gotta keep up with the faster moving generation.

Checking the census sometimes helps me to decide if i should buy now or not.

If there are lots of the book i want, in the grade i want, then i know i should soon have other opportunities to get it.

I just started using the cenus for the same reason ... Some times I can't find a book I want on ebay so I check to see how rare it is ... Most often I'm left with a "WTF can't I find this book for sale" response on my part lol

Maybe I am just using the cenus wrong but I'd also wish they would put more information down on the books them self... Like if it was an incentive or RRP & if it was what were the numbers... 1:25 1 :200 ect ...

I also kind of get confused as to just which cover it is ... Some covers have multiple variant covers along with repints simply stating that it is a variant does not help me ...

Immediacy of flipablility, IE only 9.8, only graded copy, etc from the

gotta have it angle. One of the reasons the actual census and George's

GPA is such a pair of useful tools.

If there are lots of the book i want, in the grade i want, then i know i should soon have other opportunities to get it.

Exactly, someone who understands the census is important into learning about supply vs demand. It's important to learing how low or high I can purchase or sell a book. If you don't understand that, I suggest going back to school.

I thought something was up and a lot of my CGC graded books did not make the census in the past month.

I've been waiting on two signed books since the Chicago show, and every Monday I was logging into the census to check any changes.

lol

No census update, but even better. My signature facilitator has the books!

:whee:

I don't understand why a person would need a weekly update on the numbers in the census. Not in a belligerent, you-collect-differently-than-me, way, but in an honest way. I don't get why it would matter.

What kind of books?

the ones in "low quantity" that will see an actual change in census once a quarter or so

Exactly, someone who understands the census is important into learning about supply vs demand. It's important to learing how low or high I can purchase or sell a book. If you don't understand that, I suggest going back to school.

Yeah, but you can't predict how many books are going to appear the day after you make your well researched purchase.

Given the ing awful standards of spelling, punctuation and grammer in this post, I'm loving the irony. :/

Yeah, but you can't predict how many books are going to appear the day after you make your well researched purchase.

Shhhhh... :gossip:

Oh, the census. lol

Yeah, if you're thinking that the census is an infallible indicator of the number of books extant in a specific grade, you're going to need to do a bit more research. I will say that there are probably many, many, many examples of books whose numbers are wildly inflated in the census.

"Scarce in grade in the census" is not the same as "Scarce in grade."

What kind of books?

the ones in "low quantity" that will see an actual change in census once a quarter or so

Can someone offer a specific example? I'm not being a jerk, I just want to understand the thought process here and everyone that's explaining it to me is being really general.

With the amount of research I've done I understand as well as anyone that the Census can be an invaluable tool and it can inform buying and selling decisions. I don't need a vague explanation of why it's teh shizzle. What I want to hear is a specific explanation as to why the changes from week to week would matter to the point where the OP is up in arms about it.

Oh, the census. lol

Yeah, if you're thinking that the census is an infallible indicator of the number of books extant in a specific grade, you're going to need to do a bit more research. I will say that there are probably many, many, many examples of books whose numbers are wildly inflated in the census.

"Scarce in grade in the census" is not the same as "Scarce in grade."

The census is very helpful in determining what's abundant. When you see one zillion Hulk 181s in the census, there's really not much more research you need to do to confirm that Hulk 181 is common as dirt.

However, the census is not as helpful in determining what's scarce. It is a useful tool, but only one of several tools, that should be used to assess scarcity.

Some helpful advice, though: if a book's numbers will change by the week in the census, then 99% likelihood that it ain't scarce.

What kind of books?

Can someone offer a specific example? I'm not being a jerk, I just want to understand the thought process here and everyone that's explaining it to me is being really general.

With the amount of research I've done I understand as well as anyone that the Census can be an invaluable tool and it can inform buying and selling decisions. I don't need a vague explanation of why it's teh shizzle. What I want to hear is a specific explanation as to why the changes from week to week would matter to the point where the OP is up in arms about it.

GL 76 is a good example, Rob. The price that some collectors would be willing to pay for a 9.6 copy changes significantly depending on whether there is 1 copy in the census, 2 copies in the census, 3 copies in the census, or if lo and behold, a 9.8 copy appears in the census.

Although these changes didn't happen in the space of weeks, they did occur in a relatively short time.