• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Hypothesizing" moderns before they heat up

39 posts in this topic

Anyone speculate on Marvel's Omnibus books? I know they cost some serious coin right out of the gate, and that you don't see a return for a year or more (if ever), but I gotta say, the upcoming Simonson Thor Omnibus might be a hit. Fans have been clamoring for that omnibus for years. I have a feeling that it'll be selling for $250 once it goes out of print and the stock dries up. That might be two years from now, but if you preorder and get it for $70, that'd be a pretty decent profit.

If it sells out, why would Marvel not just reprint it?

I think it's a tougher balance to reprint the mega-books that cost significant cash outlay to the printer, and probably booking time at the printer (in China) since there are MANY of them delayed. (And being all reprints, what other reason for delays?) It seems that if they are selling, they would make more, But the New X-Men Omni had a premium for quite a while, as did Alias, Eternals, and now I believe most of the Daredevil Omnis, as well as the Ennis Punisher. Enough demand to inflate aftermarket prices, but maybe not enough to warrant a large enough order to print. (See also: Absolute Planetary, Absolute Danger Girl, Walking Dead Omni, etc.)

So, you're saying people are paying MORE than the cover price on these Omnibus's (Omnibi?)? There's a speculation market for Omnibus's???

Kooky.

And why would anyone buy a Danger Girl Omnibus, when you can buy the entire output of comics made for it for less than $20? Weird. (And I know, because I have all of them.)

Anyone speculate on Marvel's Omnibus books? I know they cost some serious coin right out of the gate, and that you don't see a return for a year or more (if ever), but I gotta say, the upcoming Simonson Thor Omnibus might be a hit. Fans have been clamoring for that omnibus for years. I have a feeling that it'll be selling for $250 once it goes out of print and the stock dries up. That might be two years from now, but if you preorder and get it for $70, that'd be a pretty decent profit.

That actually happened with FF Omni Volume 1.

It sold out it's initial printing in about a month or two after it came out.

Prices spiked up to about $200-230 for that volume. It took Marvel about 6 months to get another printing out to the stores, but they eventually did.

The first print can go for some premium if you find someone who cares about having a first edition.

Some of the DC first edition Absolute Editions can go for several hundred dollars.

I'd say about 30% of the ominibus books see a spike at some point. Tomb of Dracula volume one was selling in the $175 range, but it's down to cover price, which is still more than the $60 you'd pay using a preorder.

The Bendis Daredevil volume one is selling pretty high, too.

With these, it's all about timing. And being willing to keep 'em sealed and of course, being willing to spend the money in the first place.

Personally, I buy 'em to read and haven't "speculated" on them before, but I know a few on the board have.

Matt,

I miss you too..

I'm going to post a new thread every Tuesday. I'm going to call it:

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship this week.

Thanks

Larry

I like your picks. I hope the new thread will work out for you!

doh!hm

hm

hm

Matt,

I miss you too..

Thanks

Larry

doh!hm

hm

hm

Is there something wrong with what I said?

Matt,

I miss you too..

Thanks

Larry

doh!hm

hm

hm

The current over / under is 5.2 days by this post time stamp.

I think it's a tougher balance to reprint the mega-books that cost significant cash outlay to the printer, and probably booking time at the printer (in China) since there are MANY of them delayed. (And being all reprints, what other reason for delays?) It seems that if they are selling, they would make more, But the New X-Men Omni had a premium for quite a while, as did Alias, Eternals, and now I believe most of the Daredevil Omnis, as well as the Ennis Punisher. Enough demand to inflate aftermarket prices, but maybe not enough to warrant a large enough order to print. (See also: Absolute Planetary, Absolute Danger Girl, Walking Dead Omni, etc.)

So, you're saying people are paying MORE than the cover price on these Omnibus's (Omnibi?)? There's a speculation market for Omnibus's???

Kooky.And why would anyone buy a Danger Girl Omnibus, when you can buy the entire output of comics made for it for less than $20? Weird. (And I know, because I have all of them.)

The market for omnis has been hot for the last three years, low print runs and always easy to flip .

Matt,

I miss you too..

Thanks

Larry

doh!hm

hm

hm

ok????

Matt,

I miss you too..

Thanks

Larry

doh!hm

hm

hm

Nope. Nothing at all. WTTB.

AzbatX - you're best to ignore the trolls... they might not go away, but you still shouldn't feed them.

I'm a troll? That gave me a chuckle. (thumbs u

I do troll Watson occasionally but that's a whole different can of beans and weenies.

Better a troll than a shill eh Digs? :D

AzbatX - you're best to ignore the trolls... they might not go away, but you still shouldn't feed them.

I do troll Watson occasionally but that's a whole different can of beans and weenies.

Watson loves it though.

Better a troll than a shill eh Digs? :D

;)

Watson loves it though.

:cloud9:

Matt,

I miss you too..

Thanks

Larry

doh!hm

hm

hm

ok????

:hi:

I love shills.

:cloud9: