• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Hypothesizing" moderns before they heat up

39 posts in this topic

I miss the old Speculating forum. This is my hope that it can get going again, hopefully with much less drama.

Looks like the picks for this week is pretty much just Action Comics. Any one have anything else?

Also, I'm wondering about Kick : Balls to the Wall. How do you think that'll do? Think it'll sell? The variants are probably the way to go those. When's the time to sell the books from the first series? I'm guessing just before. If it releases and doesn't do well, the first series will plummet in value.

Matt,

I miss you too..

I'm going to post a new thread every Tuesday. I'm going to call it:

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship this week.

Thanks

Larry

I can`t wait to find out what your next hot pick is, you were right on the money about Skullkickers. (thumbs u

I made some coin off it.

Anyone speculate on Marvel's Omnibus books? I know they cost some serious coin right out of the gate, and that you don't see a return for a year or more (if ever), but I gotta say, the upcoming Simonson Thor Omnibus might be a hit. Fans have been clamoring for that omnibus for years. I have a feeling that it'll be selling for $250 once it goes out of print and the stock dries up. That might be two years from now, but if you preorder and get it for $70, that'd be a pretty decent profit.

Anyone speculate on Marvel's Omnibus books? I know they cost some serious coin right out of the gate, and that you don't see a return for a year or more (if ever), but I gotta say, the upcoming Simonson Thor Omnibus might be a hit. Fans have been clamoring for that omnibus for years. I have a feeling that it'll be selling for $250 once it goes out of print and the stock dries up. That might be two years from now, but if you preorder and get it for $70, that'd be a pretty decent profit.

those maybe some of the best picks with print runs under 2000.

I'm going to cross my fingers that Amazon or B&N has another Omnibus Mega Sale like they did several months ago. I know it was an accident (or least Amazon's was).... but still.

I'm going to cross my fingers that Amazon or B&N has another Omnibus Mega Sale like they did several months ago. I know it was an accident (or least Amazon's was).... but still.

I don`t think we will ever see a price mistake of that magnitude again.

I don't really speculate on moderns and I don't even know if this is the right thread, but what do people think about modern books featuring popular characters that are printed in very low numbers (Usagi Yojimbo, BOOM's Disney books, etc.)?

I buy them because I like them and have no expectations that they will be worth much in the future, but these books seem to have lower print runs than a lot of the popular books I see being speculated on. Is there just no demand for these?

Dan Slot is chatting over on Newsarama

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dan-slott-amazing-spider-man-100927.html

He lets slip that Amazing Spider-Man #648 "might" have a new costume for spidey.

I go to Humberto Ramos's blog and find this:

1280090859.jpg

Yep, I hate it.

Yep I just increased my order for ASM #648

Yep, I'm good.

Larry

He lets slip that Amazing Spider-Man #648 "might" have a new costume for spidey.

1280090859.jpg

Yep, I hate it.

Yep, I'm good.

Larry

Yeah, I saw that costume not too long ago on Bleeding Cool. Like all other "new" costumes... it'll have short uptick and then drop. The Iron Spider climbed to like $20 at it's height. The Spider-Armor (my favorite) runs in most $1 bins, although that really only lasted for basically a half issue. The blue/red costume is a classic and will never go away. With Spider-Man 4 coming out in 2012.... expect the life of this costume not to exceed past that. I doubt that it'll even last more then 6 issues. Will I buy it..... yes. I love new Spidey costumes. Long term investment, no.... maybe a Variant will have more life. Short term flipping, small but yes.

If it sells out, why would Marvel not just reprint it?

1280090859.jpg

Yep, I hate it.

Yep, I'm good.

Larry

Judging by the results of this poll, that increased order could well be a bad move...

What did the country bumpkin's mother tell him when he said he wanted to speculate?

"Boy...I 'spec you late fo suppah, and if you don' git home right nah, I 'spec you late to yo funeral!"

best speculation yet.

If it sells out, why would Marvel not just reprint it?

I think it's a tougher balance to reprint the mega-books that cost significant cash outlay to the printer, and probably booking time at the printer (in China) since there are MANY of them delayed. (And being all reprints, what other reason for delays?) It seems that if they are selling, they would make more, But the New X-Men Omni had a premium for quite a while, as did Alias, Eternals, and now I believe most of the Daredevil Omnis, as well as the Ennis Punisher. Enough demand to inflate aftermarket prices, but maybe not enough to warrant a large enough order to print. (See also: Absolute Planetary, Absolute Danger Girl, Walking Dead Omni, etc.)