• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's all about Marvel.....

45 posts in this topic

Who is with me? I am strictly a Marvel fan ONLY, never got into DC and don't see it happening! Marvel Comics are the comics to collect, to hell with DC!! Can I get a AMEN! lol

Thats fine leaves more books for the rest of us,your missing out on some great stuff my friend. (shrug)

Your sig line is full of DC..... :insane:

:shy:

I've always been a Marvel fan since being a kid. I prefer the Silver age marvel books.

If I were to choose between Marvel and DC on golden age....I think DC wins with Action Comics, Superman, Tech and Batman.

My personal holy grail books are Superman 1 and Batman 1. I'll probably never own either but if I had mounds of money...I'd buy the GA DC before any other books.

Who is with me? I am strictly a Marvel fan ONLY, never got into DC and don't see it happening! Marvel Comics are the comics to collect, to hell with DC!! Can I get a AMEN! lol

Thats fine leaves more books for the rest of us,your missing out on some great stuff my friend. (shrug)

Your sig line is full of DC..... :insane:

:shy:

Does'nt mean I dont own them.If I could have a sig line as big as rubes I would,then again I would'nt want to anyone off. hm

Somewhat. Their big titles Superman, Flash, Batman etc were great when they started, but by the 50's had become silliness. Batman came out of it in 1970 or so, and was as good as a Marvel title in the 70s. GL shaped up for a while in the early 70s. Most of the other super hero stuff DC was doing in the 60 70's 80's was written for youngsters, Marvel was too, but not quite so young. I do have a penchant for Captain Comet and the Secret Society of Super Villains, but that didn't last long. Often overlooked is DC's quality horror lines from the same time, I really didn't know how good they were myself until recently. House of Mystery, Secrets of Sinister House, etc, had some really great covers. The other area DC did well at all along was their war titles, Unknown Soldier, Sgt Rock. DC's horror and war titles lasted a long time, and plowed right through the 70's because they were decent books. At the same Marvel's similar titles couldn't make it, Combat Kelly, Captain Leatherneck, Where Monsters Dwell, Where Creatures Roam, Marvel Chillers, JIM (2nd series), etc; all faded pretty fast compared to DC. Marvel's war books seemed decent, not sure why they didn't make it. The aforementioned Marvel Horror titles were blown away by the DC output at the time though.

As for what they make nowadays, I have no clue. Haven't read a new comic since 1992 or so, even then I could see they were no longer as appealing to me.

Well, it's obvious where I stand... meh

Seriously, I tried and tried to get into DC comics, but other than Batman, they do nothing for me...

Me too! I never found that DC title that moved me like many of the Marvel titles I so enjoyed. The DC super-hero titles really do nothing for me....MARVEL THE HOUSE OF IDEAS....well it was.

AMEN. :banana:

I was an 100% Marvel Zombie until the mid-80s when I discovered that DC were actually putting out better comics.

And still do to this day.

When Marvel can keep the same competent artist on a book for more than six issues, and ensure that those six issues do not have a variant cover amongst them...I might start considering them again.

Until then...they're wank. (thumbs u

I've been a Marvel Zombie since the early 70s but I think it is foolish to remain loyal to just one company when others are putting out good stuff.

I try to buy the best stuff from every era. GA Timelys for the covers, GA Barks Ducks for the stories, mostly Marvel from the SA and BA and a ecletic mix from the Copper and Modern eras.

I've never understood the people who are loyal to just one of the big two.

Of course I mean that in general - over the entire history of comics - since Marvel has piled :censored:-up upon :censored:-up for well over a decade now. They totally lost me, to the point that I don't even care about the few good things they produce now. At this point, the only way I can see Marvel getting my money for a "new" release is if they reprint Moore's Miracleman and/or reprint and finish Gaiman's run.

Maybe my perspective is different because of my age (under 30) and the fact that less than 5% of my collection was purchased new off the rack.

I see a lot of comments that point to modern comics...

I can care less about the new stuff. I've tried getting into it but for $3.99 a comic or more...i'll search the bargain silver bin...

I started out being a Marvel purist (DC was the dark side), but slowly moved to about 50/50 Marvel /DC about 10 years ago.

I began to hate the way DC forced you to read every title in a crossover event in order to completely follow the storyline (Far worse IMO than Marvel ever did).

It slowly put me off and I then dropped down to purely Batman and GL (Now only Batman)

My Marvel pull list has shrunk considerably as well as indy stuff seems to be more forward thinking and less about the #1's and retcons.