• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well you new this might happen, Star Wars 3D....

99 posts in this topic

So no one is going to fix the title of this thread?

No one?

This thread deserves the misspelling because Star Wars is a huge vacuum of FAIL after the prequels. All of the prequels made Annakin so unlikeable that I didn't even think Vader was as cool as I always did. Count Duckoo went out like a complete punk in the 3rd prequel after being shown to be a complete badazz in the 2nd. Darth Maul died for no reason. The Wookie planet was stupid, so was Jar-Jar, and the Bad-Mandarin-Accent-Having Trade federation, and the race scene, and half of the acting. :P

No one?

This thread deserves the misspelling because Star Wars is a huge vacuum of FAIL after the prequels. All of the prequels made Annakin so unlikeable that I didn't even think Vader was as cool as I always did. Count Duckoo went out like a complete punk in the 3rd prequel after being shown to be a complete badazz in the 2nd. Darth Maul died for no reason. The Wookie planet was stupid, so was Jar-Jar, and the Bad-Mandarin-Accent-Having Trade federation, and the race scene, and half of the acting. :P

Tell me how you really feel.

No one?

I should have asked if Know One would fix it. That would have been better.

No one?

At least it would have been funny.

No one?

At least it would have been funny.

I am not here to be funny.

And 60-some replies with no correction or mention of same just depressed me.

I have definitely lost something along the way then. I couldn't care less about those characters so the battle was meaningless to me. And then the ending? Obi Wan had the "high ground" and that is why he won? Seriously? It might have looked pretty for the first 1 or 2 minutes of the fight but then it got monotonous and the dialog just killed me.

The worst moment of any of the trilogies was in ROTS when the Emperor was defeated by Mace Windu and Anakin came to his rescue. It was the worst dialog ever. I actually felt embarrassed for the actors.

Obi-Wan didn't win simply because he was higher, he won because Anakin had to jump to get over there and he arrogantly thought he would have enough control to not get hit while making taking the predictable path up. I had no problem with it.

I don't disagree that Lucas's feel for actor direction or dialogue is seriously lacking. It was lacking hugely in Star Wars, which he and the entire cast knew, which is why he didn't direct the next two films. However, if you made this argument to the 10-year-old version of yourself, you'd have no idea what you were talking about. Selective myopia is a useful skill with a film like Episode III...those action sequences just blow away anything in the original three films. The Yoda/Emperor fight was incredible as well. :cloud9:

Obi Wan says "You can't win. I have the higher ground." I think you are making excuses for the terrible writing.

I definitely think his dialog in the new trilogy was worse. I would agree that it was bad in Star Wars though. But I didn't care. I actually LIKED the characters. I mean, I remember playing with my friends and we would want to be Luke or Han or even Chewy... Who in the right minds wants to be whiney and murderous Anakin? Or bland and boring Obi Wan? The fact that there is something enjoyable about the original films helps me to overlook some of the bad writing (plus, the writing wasn't as atrocious as the prequels).

And i will even disagree with you that the action sequences blow away anything in the original trilogy. I used to watch the Luke and Vader duels nonstop. The tension in the fight scenes and the interaction of the characters was much more compelling. In ROTJ, Luke wasn't fighting just against Vader, he was fighting for his soul. In the prequels, it is like watching a street fighter video game. We already know that Obi Wan and Anakin will survive so there is no need to worry about them. If we cared about them, then it would be different.

Finally, I think some of the worse transgressions are how often the prequels contradict the original trilogies. It was horrible. Like Lucas forgot what he wrote previously. 1. Padme dies as she gives birth but Leia had told Luke that she had faint memories of her mother but she died when she was very young. 2. Obi Wan said Yoda was his master not Qui Gon. 3. C3PO was made by Anakin and R2 was always around but Obi Wan doesn't recognize him in Star Wars.

I know I am totally hating on the prequels but I really really do HATE them! :censored:

Let me start by addresssing your numbered concerns.

1. Leia at birth was strong in the force and received a lasting impression? Or she's referring to her adoptive mother (more likely) that we see only once in Episode III.

2. Yoda was on the Jedi Council and a higher ranking master than Qui-Gon. He also administered the Trials to Obi-Wan, who without facing them could not have become a Jedi Knight.

3. "This droid says he belongs to someone called Obi-Wan Kenobi" "Obi-Wan?" "Yeah, does it mean anything to you?" "Of course it does, it's me...but I don't seem to recall ever having owned a droid." (might not be a direct quote, but it's close enough to show Obi-Wan could've been telling the truth from a certain point of view...or half truth as he is famous for doing...and finally I would like to say...

its_a_trap.jpg

1. Leia said Padme had died when she was very young. Any normal person would have said, "she died during childbirth." Also, Luke specifically asked about her "real" mother. There is no gray area.

2. Yes, all true but Obi Wan wasn't his student. He was Qui Gon's. Anakin didn't walk around saying he was Yoda's pupil. To say that would be disrespectful to your actual master/teacher.

3. Seriously? That's your argument? You are really reaching for excuses. Every one issue I come up with can be argued. But there is just a preponderance of evidence to show that Lucas fudged up big time. We are forced to make excuses for the writing to justify why it fits. It just doesn't work

Agree with all of that x5 except I didn't mind Anakin and I enjoyed the wookie planet--what was wrong with it? The worst thing on your list is whacking Darth Maul so easily, he was the best villain out of all six films. :mad:

I have definitely lost something along the way then. I couldn't care less about those characters so the battle was meaningless to me. And then the ending? Obi Wan had the "high ground" and that is why he won? Seriously? It might have looked pretty for the first 1 or 2 minutes of the fight but then it got monotonous and the dialog just killed me.

The worst moment of any of the trilogies was in ROTS when the Emperor was defeated by Mace Windu and Anakin came to his rescue. It was the worst dialog ever. I actually felt embarrassed for the actors.

Obi-Wan didn't win simply because he was higher, he won because Anakin had to jump to get over there and he arrogantly thought he would have enough control to not get hit while making taking the predictable path up. I had no problem with it.

I don't disagree that Lucas's feel for actor direction or dialogue is seriously lacking. It was lacking hugely in Star Wars, which he and the entire cast knew, which is why he didn't direct the next two films. However, if you made this argument to the 10-year-old version of yourself, you'd have no idea what you were talking about. Selective myopia is a useful skill with a film like Episode III...those action sequences just blow away anything in the original three films. The Yoda/Emperor fight was incredible as well. :cloud9:

Obi Wan says "You can't win. I have the higher ground." I think you are making excuses for the terrible writing.

I definitely think his dialog in the new trilogy was worse. I would agree that it was bad in Star Wars though. But I didn't care. I actually LIKED the characters. I mean, I remember playing with my friends and we would want to be Luke or Han or even Chewy... Who in the right minds wants to be whiney and murderous Anakin? Or bland and boring Obi Wan? The fact that there is something enjoyable about the original films helps me to overlook some of the bad writing (plus, the writing wasn't as atrocious as the prequels).

And i will even disagree with you that the action sequences blow away anything in the original trilogy. I used to watch the Luke and Vader duels nonstop. The tension in the fight scenes and the interaction of the characters was much more compelling. In ROTJ, Luke wasn't fighting just against Vader, he was fighting for his soul. In the prequels, it is like watching a street fighter video game. We already know that Obi Wan and Anakin will survive so there is no need to worry about them. If we cared about them, then it would be different.

Finally, I think some of the worse transgressions are how often the prequels contradict the original trilogies. It was horrible. Like Lucas forgot what he wrote previously. 1. Padme dies as she gives birth but Leia had told Luke that she had faint memories of her mother but she died when she was very young. 2. Obi Wan said Yoda was his master not Qui Gon. 3. C3PO was made by Anakin and R2 was always around but Obi Wan doesn't recognize him in Star Wars.

I know I am totally hating on the prequels but I really really do HATE them! :censored:

Let me start by addresssing your numbered concerns.

1. Leia at birth was strong in the force and received a lasting impression? Or she's referring to her adoptive mother (more likely) that we see only once in Episode III.

2. Yoda was on the Jedi Council and a higher ranking master than Qui-Gon. He also administered the Trials to Obi-Wan, who without facing them could not have become a Jedi Knight.

3. "This droid says he belongs to someone called Obi-Wan Kenobi" "Obi-Wan?" "Yeah, does it mean anything to you?" "Of course it does, it's me...but I don't seem to recall ever having owned a droid." (might not be a direct quote, but it's close enough to show Obi-Wan could've been telling the truth from a certain point of view...or half truth as he is famous for doing...and finally I would like to say...

its_a_trap.jpg

1. Leia said Padme had died when she was very young. Any normal person would have said, "she died during childbirth." Also, Luke specifically asked about her "real" mother. There is no gray area.

2. Yes, all true but Obi Wan wasn't his student. He was Qui Gon's. Anakin didn't walk around saying he was Yoda's pupil. To say that would be disrespectful to your actual master/teacher.

3. Seriously? That's your argument? You are really reaching for excuses. Every one issue I come up with can be argued. But there is just a preponderance of evidence to show that Lucas fudged up big time. We are forced to make excuses for the writing to justify why it fits. It just doesn't work

palpatine-1.jpg

Agree with all of that x5 except I didn't mind Anakin and I enjoyed the wookie planet--what was wrong with it? The worst thing on your list is whacking Darth Maul so easily, he was the best villain out of all six films. :mad:

Vader! :makepoint:

Darth Maul had potential but didn't do anything. One Jedi kill does not a Sith Lord make.

Darth Maul had potential but didn't do anything. One Jedi kill does not a Sith Lord make.

Duckoo fought Yoda to a standstill. He was awesome. Then he went out like a complete punk blitch. :mad:

You guys do realize that this is a fictitious story and is aimed at adolescents, right? hm

(tsk)

Don't bring logic in to this.

The harsh voice of reason.
:gossip:

Vader in the old films moved like a weeble-wobble slowly swinging a wifflebat, whereas Darth Maul had a talented martial arts expert with a real panache and flair playing him. Now I know for SURE you've grown old and crusty! :baiting:

You guys do realize that this is a fictitious story and is aimed at adolescents, right?

And that's where Lucas failed...he should have been aiming the films at adolescents stuck in a state of arrested development within adult bodies and with an adult acumen who hadn't turned their derision onto the films of their youth. His fans had twenty years to learn how to spot excellent acting, direction, and screenwriting, so simply coming in with a slightly enhanced but still hugely flawed directing ability coupled with fantastically improved special effects that would have knocked us all dead in 1986 just wasn't going to cut the mustard by the 2000s. (tsk)

You guys do realize that this is a fictitious story and is aimed at adolescents, right?

And that's where Lucas failed...he should have been aiming the films at adolescents stuck in a state of arrested development within adult bodies and with an adult acumen who hadn't turned their derision onto the films of their youth. His fans had twenty years to learn how to spot excellent acting, direction, and screenwriting, so simply coming in with a slightly enhanced but still hugely flawed directing ability coupled with fantastically improved special effects that would have knocked us all dead in 1986 just wasn't going to cut the mustard by the 2000s. (tsk)

Exactly my point. You'd think that after 20 years that they would realize that the original trilogy was full of the same horrid acting and broken continuity as the recent trilogy. Yet, they can't be objective enough to see it that way as the original movies were like the first girl they ever had a crush on and they're still not over it.

For some reason, a lot of the original fan base was expecting the same butterflies in their stomach as they had when they were nine. Instead they can't be happy with the steak they ordered because it wasn't cooked just the way they like it.

Get over it already, dorks. :screwy: