• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clarify for me, what qualifies as a "Slight Restoration PLOD"

12 posts in this topic

Could someone please explain to me what "Slight Alteration" stands for?

This auction on CL..

slight A DD #1

has a D.D. #1 listed as a PLOD "Slight A"

And CGC lists it with , Minor Color Touches, Glue on Spine, and top bottom edges trimmed, on the lable.

This to me is not "Slight" I own a 9.0 CGC comic labled "Slight" and all it lists are "minor color touch on cover" as its supposed flaws.

So my "Slight A" 9.0 , is lumped in the same boat as this D.D. #1 Slight A , with color touch, glue, and top, bottom edges trimmed? As the same thing?

What is the cutoff?? tears sealed?, pieces added?

for a comic to be labled Slight A .. it should darn well be slight.. not with 3 restoration flaws, this to me does not qualify the book as slight.

Call me crazy.. I think this is unfair.

I think.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Trimming does not count towards the restoration.

The trimming alone would be a Green Label thing right?

So it's Slight(A) plus the trimming.

There are only three levels, by definition there has to be some variation between the bottom of each level and the top. If it was only "minor color touch" that got "slight" then people with relatively minor bits of would stuck with "moderate" would be doing the same thing you're doing only in reverse.

You also don't know the real extent of the work on this other book. If your book has a dime sized spot of CT and this one has 1/3rd that + a dot of glue, then why wouldn't they get the same "slight" classification.

I will say one thing, I don't believe there's anything "slight" about trimming, so I'll agree with you on that.

You also don't know the real extent of the work on this other book. If your book has a dime sized spot of CT and this one has 1/3rd that + a dot of glue, then why wouldn't they get the same "slight" classification.

I will say one thing, I don't believe there's anything "slight" about trimming, so I'll agree with you on that.

Well, I guess I did not clarify in my post , I called CGC and and asked them as to the extent of my restoration comic I got back

, and was told it had 2 small dots on spine, and perhaps 1 small dot on bottom.

Hence my original question above ,

since I knew firsthand from CGC my 9.0 "Slight A " Plod, had only a few small dots of color on the black line of the spine , I was wondering as to what the limit was for a comic (colortouch/repairs/ glue/trimming) is before it went past "slight A". and into "Restored"

Zeman

Hey, Zee, who was it again that sold you that book that received the PLOD? devil.gif

Hey, in five years it might have it's own weird Pedigree.....the Danny Dupcak Purple Pedigree. 27_laughing.gif

Well, I was trying not to go there....

But since you brought it up so subtly , yeah, it was a Keys special, that I had CGC grade for me.

It came back "Slight A" PLOD.

While it was still a nice book,it was still a big dissapointment as you can imagine.

I was told by CGC that he used a simlar pen to "work" on all his books, and the grader said it stood out like a "Koos " calling card when it was put under the bright lights.

Zeman

I own a 9.0 CGC comic labled "Slight" and all it lists are "minor color touch on cover" as its supposed flaws.

Maybe CGC should consider using a new "Minor" restoration designation? It could be a silver age equivalent for Golden Age "blue label" books with restoration notes. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Z: the "A" stands for "Amateur," not "Alteration."

Your PLOD 9.0 must be a SA book, right? 'Cause a GA book with "minor color touch" would, I believe, get a Blue universal lable in most (all?) cases...

I'm going to go out on a very short limb and predict that in a couple of years, CGC will rethink the way they label restored books, and offer a little more clemency. Maybe a Teal Label for books that are not quite Universal, but with restoration so minor it almost doesn't matter.

Interesting thought, but I'm not sure it would have much impact in the grand scheme of things... there's a small minority - i.e. people like those who inhabit these boards - who might be willing to discern between such labels, but I'm not sure we have the $ to float the whole market for such books...? Now, if some significant % of those 'teal' books could have the resto removed without losing too much in terms of grade, there might a nice little 'cottage industry' there... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agreed 100%. Trimming is never "slight" in my mind. As I have said before, I would not even judge trimming as restoration. I would grade it as a book with a book-length chunk out of it and grade it accordingly. No better than G or so, even if the rest of the book is NM.

I hate trimming. mad.gif And trimmers. mad.gif Just leave the F'ing books alone fer Chrissakes.

There are only three levels, by definition there has to be some variation between the bottom of each level and the top. If it was only "minor color touch" that got "slight" then people with relatively minor bits of would stuck with "moderate" would be doing the same thing you're doing only in reverse.