• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for those of you with a lot of books in the registry...

55 posts in this topic

Well there's nothing wrong with a bit of competition as long as it isn't taken too seriously. I think there are those who take more seriously than I think is cool.

Imran, I forgot to say........

......eat my registry point dust. :baiting:

:whistle:

Well there's nothing wrong with a bit of competition as long as it isn't taken too seriously. I think there are those who take more seriously than I think is cool.

Imran, I forgot to say........

......eat my registry point dust. :baiting:

:whistle:

That was me having fun, it was you who said your ambition was to overtake me on the registry, oh uncool, point collecting person. :makepoint::baiting:

lol I think it is so uber uncool to even mention points and competition on the board that no one is likely to volunteer.

I collect the books anyway, and with only certain sets I targetted the best books because they meant a lot to me. Having a small competition to recognize such collecting, and especially with the potential of free CGC book submissions, just makes it a little more fun.

But whether there was a competition or not, I still was going to collect these books.

I'm curious as to how many people actually feel competitive about registry points.

I think it's really sad that people who feel a compulsion to compete via the Registry most likely feel that way because they have a much tinier than I do. :blush:

Are you asking as compared to the dollar value of the collection? If so then yes, I think it's pretty close. My registry points are only about 10% higher than the dollar value of my overall collection.

For which sets? I know the Fantastic Four sets are nowhere close.

Is it one area that tends to be nowhere close? Like maybe uber high grades, or earlier issues?

From looking at the ASM point values, I noticed that the books I'm logging (mid-late silver, 7.0-8.0 range) tend to be pretty good, but when I look at the point values for higher grades, they're a little out of whack (like 1000 points for an ASM 100 in 9.4 for example).

Its a shame that they can't just tie the points to the GPA average. Of course, GPA would just be giving away free proprietary info so there is nothing in it for them.

I'm curious as to how many people actually feel competitive about registry points.

I think it's really sad that people who feel a compulsion to compete via the Registry most likely feel that way because they have a much tinier than I do. :blush:

Mods notified. COI has clearly jacked this account.

Are you asking as compared to the dollar value of the collection? If so then yes, I think it's pretty close. My registry points are only about 10% higher than the dollar value of my overall collection.

For which sets? I know the Fantastic Four sets are nowhere close.

Is it one area that tends to be nowhere close? Like maybe uber high grades, or earlier issues?

From looking at the ASM point values, I noticed that the books I'm logging (mid-late silver, 7.0-8.0 range) tend to be pretty good, but when I look at the point values for higher grades, they're a little out of whack (like 1000 points for an ASM 100 in 9.4 for example).

Its a shame that they can't just tie the points to the GPA average. Of course, GPA would just be giving away free proprietary info so there is nothing in it for them.

Does GPA pay for their info ?

Regarding linking the registry points to GPA, even if possible, why ? I don't think

the registry points were ever suppose to equate to a dollar value. It would also make the registry points a moving target.

A couple years back I heard of a rule of thumb of about 2.00 in cost for every 1 registry point = You would have to pay about 300.00 for 150 Registry points. I don't think this is true anymore.

The Registry points are heavily favored toward GA.

I've got a over 400 books in the registry and I find that my books can be significantly out points/value wise either above or below. Some JIM's for example aren't very accurate

I've never tried to suss out how they average out over the whole lot as it's never bothered me. I treat the registry as a useful inventory tool and a bit of fun, nothing more. I certainly wouldn't rely on it to give an anywhere near accurate guide to value. 2c

FYI, I actually understood what you meant by 'suss out'.

For a while I was starting to get competetive but I no longer care. The books I now

favor don't get many Registry points anyway. I never understood how a just released Modern in 9.8 can get more points than highest graded early SA.

Clearly lol

That's at least my fifth or sixth competition-related tiny wanker reference just within the last two years, probably the dozenth overall. :news: I almost skipped it because I was afraid I'd sound like a broken record stuck infinitely playing Village People songs. :blush:

Like Cheetah said, the point spreads work well within a specific title.

For the stuff I collect, the point spreads within titles make very little sense. For example my Archie #2 in 2.5 is a 200 point book, whereas my Archie 151 in 9.6 is a 190 point book. However, in real life the value of these two books is nowhere near equivalent. The Archie 2 is worth at least 5X what the 151 is worth.

Same goes for Pep, where a Pep 26 in 2.5 is "worth" fewer points than a 9.2 Pep 158...