• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back From the NYC ComicCon

17 posts in this topic

Well, it started rocky.

First off, they're lying about the ticket prices.

As you can see at the link below, they advertise a 3-day pass purchased at the door as being $50 and 1-day pass being $30. What they fail to tell you is that you are required to purchase the tickets from a third party vendor that charges $5. So, in actuality, the prices are $55 and $35.

I understand that if you purchase online they charge the "conveniency fee", however, there's no reason for that to be done at the door and it's blatant false advertising to represent the full price being less than what it actually is.

I was not amused.

http://www.wizardworld.com/bigapple.html

Then on top of that, they give you an orange wrist band that's good for the three days but I was informed that I had to keep it on the entire weekend - I couldn't cut it off and show it at the door, etc. I'm not running around all weekend with an orange wristband.

Something else that didn't amuse me.

But now that we've gotten the annoying stuff out of the way, how was the show?

In a word - "eh".

Harley, Storms and Metropolis had the best books - which is what you'd expect. There weren't a large number of dealers - they seem to all be waiting for next week's show. One dealer, who I can't remember the name of, had a trashed Cap #1 which someone asked the price on but I didn't affectively eavesdrop so I didn't hear the price. That was kinda cool to see since you don't see that book often.

As many of you know, I look for Marvel westerns, of which there were basically none. I was a little appalled at how pretty much no one had any. Maybe next week will have dealers with them.

I bought a few things I won't bore you with. However, I did get a high grade Arrowhead #2 from Harley that I was surprised to discover was signed inside by Joe Sinnott. Also a Two-Gun Kid #8 from Storms that is killer.

The show was merely an amuse bouche prior to next week's show.

It's the first show I've been to in about 5 years so it was nice to see some of my old playmates like The Brulatonator.

On a side note, the three Brady Bunch boys were there. I stood staring at them, aghast. Truly, old age is no place for sissies.

I learned what an "amuse-bouche" is. Thanks!

An amuse-bouche [amyzbuʃ] or amuse-gueule [amyzɡœl] is a single, bite-sized hors d’œuvreAmuse-bouche are different from appetizers in that they are not ordered from a menu by patrons, but, when served, are done so according to the chef's selection alone. These, often accompanied by a complementing wine, are served as an excitement of taste buds both to prepare the guest for the meal and to offer a glimpse into the chef's approach to cooking.

The term is French, literally translated to "mouth amuser". The plural form is amuse-bouche or amuse-bouches.

The original French word, more frequently employed, is amuse-gueule or titbit, although amuse-bouche is more often used on menus in fine dining restaurants.

I went back today and made a couple of cool Atlas finds, including several Mile High copies of a particular Atlas western title that the dealer didn't realize were Mile High copies and I got them for guide - don't you just hate it when that happens?

I went back today and made a couple of cool Atlas finds, including several Mile High copies of a particular Atlas western title that the dealer didn't realize were Mile High copies and I got them for guide - don't you just hate it when that happens?

..........only if you don't post 'em for us to drool over, especially if there are any Severin covers in the lot. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Nothing wrong with that.....one of my all time favorites is Maneely.....I think it's Quick Trigger Western 14.....a red cover with a gun slinger against a bar...GOD BLESS...

Grease pencil arrival dates or date stamps on the Church copies. Many were also featured in the Gerber PhotoJournals, and can be matched up. Several different Pedigrees have tell tale distinguishing characteristics such as White Mountain, Green River, Bethlehem, San Francisco, etc. GOD BLESS...

Grease pencil arrival dates or date stamps on the Church copies. Many were also featured in the Gerber PhotoJournals, and can be matched up. Several different Pedigrees have tell tale distinguishing characteristics such as White Mountain, Green River, Bethlehem, San Francisco, etc. GOD BLESS...

The Mile Highs have a very specific odor to them, in addition to many having specific markings on the cover.

The Mile Highs have a very specific odor to them, in addition to many having specific markings on the cover.

Many of the books from Pedigrees have distinctive characteristics.

For example, they will share wear and aging characteristics such as tanning (if any), page quality and most importantly smell. I think I remember a Boston copy of a book smelling like mothballs. The White Mountain books, the Church books and some other pedigrees also have distinctive smells.

Also, as others mentioned, the actual markings on the book will place them.

You can read all about it here.

Went back for the third day and picked up a nice stack of VG pre-hero Marvels for $15 each. Wouldn't it be nice if that sort of thing happened more often? People would be able to collect more books and dealers would sell more. Instead, conventions are littered with the books in the $40-50 dollar range and they sit there show after show after show after show.

:sick:

Well, it started rocky.

First off, they're lying about the ticket prices.

As you can see at the link below, they advertise a 3-day pass purchased at the door as being $50 and 1-day pass being $30. What they fail to tell you is that you are required to purchase the tickets from a third party vendor that charges $5. So, in actuality, the prices are $55 and $35.

I understand that if you purchase online they charge the "conveniency fee", however, there's no reason for that to be done at the door and it's blatant false advertising to represent the full price being less than what it actually is.

I was not amused.

http://www.wizardworld.com/bigapple.html

Then on top of that, they give you an orange wrist band that's good for the three days but I was informed that I had to keep it on the entire weekend - I couldn't cut it off and show it at the door, etc. I'm not running around all weekend with an orange wristband.

Something else that didn't amuse me.

But now that we've gotten the annoying stuff out of the way, how was the show?

In a word - "eh".

Harley, Storms and Metropolis had the best books - which is what you'd expect. There weren't a large number of dealers - they seem to all be waiting for next week's show. One dealer, who I can't remember the name of, had a trashed Cap #1 which someone asked the price on but I didn't affectively eavesdrop so I didn't hear the price. That was kinda cool to see since you don't see that book often.

As many of you know, I look for Marvel westerns, of which there were basically none. I was a little appalled at how pretty much no one had any. Maybe next week will have dealers with them.

I bought a few things I won't bore you with. However, I did get a high grade Arrowhead #2 from Harley that I was surprised to discover was signed inside by Joe Sinnott. Also a Two-Gun Kid #8 from Storms that is killer.

The show was merely an amuse bouche prior to next week's show.

It's the first show I've been to in about 5 years so it was nice to see some of my old playmates like The Brulatonator.

On a side note, the three Brady Bunch boys were there. I stood staring at them, aghast. Truly, old age is no place for sissies.

I thoroughly enjoyed your brief report... :headbang:

Went back for the third day and picked up a nice stack of VG pre-hero Marvels for $15 each. Wouldn't it be nice if that sort of thing happened more often? People would be able to collect more books and dealers would sell more. Instead, conventions are littered with the books in the $40-50 dollar range and they sit there show after show after show after show.

What titles...issues...? :baiting: