• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I haven't slept in days

9 posts in this topic

300,000 comic books can do that to you

yes you read that right, 300,000... three hundred thou-sand!!! I'm sooo excited... this is by far the biggest largest purchase i've been a part of (went 50/50 on the deal). I'm going on tuesday to have the books loaded and shipped. Two trucks its gonna take. so excited i haven't been able to sleep since we learned that we had the winning bid.

And from the looks of things, I don't think i'll be able to get any sleep any time soon after tuesday. Its gonna take months of diggin before I can truely assess what is in the longboxes. But then afterthat, now what? Do I open a store? Hit the convention trail? Strickly eBay? Flood CGC with submissions? So many unanswered questions.

Don't think I wanna flood CGC with submissions though... I think it would be best to limit that for several reasons. One, the cost would be enormous. Two, I don't want to devalue any books currently in the market that are steadily trading. Three, I refuse to be the guy who is responsible for causing the turnaround times to double in length (I think we all would rather receive our books sooner than later). Four, customer satisfaction. Some collectors enjoy looking for raw copies in true 9.8 condition (i'm one of them), so why deprive them of the thrill of the chase. In all, of course there will be submissions, but I don't think i'll convert to a 100% CGC model or send in mass quantities.

But when I look at it all, I'm still getting used to going from small time eBay store (100% feedback, 4.9 rating) to just about big time over night. Will this deal launch me and my small start up into one of southern california's premier back issue dealers? Brick and mortar or onlune only? What did I just get myself into... haha. Damn this addiction!

See more journals by lpersky

thanks Doc! my eBay user id is pdotcomics ... a bunch of stuff was up there but i let it expire and the auctions ended... i'll have a ton of stuff go up this month (obviously) because of this purchase once i'm able to sort and scan.. i would say its gonna take me at least a week before i start putting stuff on the site again. thanks!

Ah, so you are the guy! lol.

I bid on a bunch of small pieces in the original auction, wound up with some cool Gen13 original art but not as much as I wanted. I tried to convince my wife it would be a good investment and I even know somebody that owns a trucking company so I was ready to go, haha. Have fun with the win! Keep us updated with how it turns out. The way I figure, you have got to have something in 300,000 books and when it was as little as it was (well plus shipping which might be as much as the books themselves) it shouldn't take too long to turn that investment around.

Congrats!