• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's attending the NYCC this weekend?

156 posts in this topic

I think my favorite overheard comment this weekend was a young girl yelling at her boyfriend, "Your my :censored: boyfriend. You're supposed to tell me if I stink."

:cloud9:
:sorry: for calling your ffcomics.

Yeah, I second that...the Javits is not big enough. My buddie and I got there at 8am, stood in line for a bit and hit the main floor a bit before 10am. We basically stuck by the main comic dealers section and by 12pm we could barely move. We did well, met Dale Roberts, Doc Watson and a few others, managed to pick up a nice marvel key but by 1pm we couldn't move at all. We bumped our way along the long boxes for another hour and a half but we had enough by 2:30pm. I wanted to stop and meet a few other boardies but by 3pm it was time to go. I had a great time but the space just isn't large enough for the amount of people that are attending now.

there were two conventions going on at once. no doubt if comic con occupied all of javitz (including where the anime fest was this weekend) it would not have been so bad. having a separate anime fest seemed kindah pointless (well, to me at least, because i don't care for it) because the anime/manga stuff infilitrated the main comic con anyway.

Yeah, I second that...the Javits is not big enough. My buddie and I got there at 8am, stood in line for a bit and hit the main floor a bit before 10am. We basically stuck by the main comic dealers section and by 12pm we could barely move. We did well, met Dale Roberts, Doc Watson and a few others, managed to pick up a nice marvel key but by 1pm we couldn't move at all. We bumped our way along the long boxes for another hour and a half but we had enough by 2:30pm. I wanted to stop and meet a few other boardies but by 3pm it was time to go. I had a great time but the space just isn't large enough for the amount of people that are attending now.

there were two conventions going on at once. no doubt if comic con occupied all of javitz (including where the anime fest was this weekend) it would not have been so bad. having a separate anime fest seemed kindah pointless (well, to me at least, because i don't care for it) because the anime/manga stuff infilitrated the main comic con anyway.

of course, the dealers who got sent down to the javitz basement might not be sol thrilled about that. having artist's alley down there or more of the video game stufff might make sense.

that back row where there were a lot of toy vendors was dangerously crowded. the aisle was WAY too narrow. it's like those vendors were stuck back there as an afterthought.

I overheard a woman say to her boyfriend, "we paid $40 to get in here so you could buy that $5 comic book?"

yeah, one needs to have an understanding S.O. for these things. i ran into a husband/wife team plowing through the cheapies at dolgoff's tables and she was helping him find stuff on his lists and so on. he was going to do the same at a show for whatever she is interested in (I forget what).

my wife was out of town. she would have tolerated things because she likes sci fi and star wars toys (particularly from our youth). that would have lasted about 2 hours tops though.

I think my favorite overheard comment this weekend was a young girl yelling at her boyfriend, "Your my :censored: boyfriend. You're supposed to tell me if I stink."

:cloud9:
:sorry: for calling your ffcomics.

No worries Greg, it was great to finally meet you!

I find it really funny to read the anime fans' perspective on the con along with the comic fans' perspective.

It's kinda funny how they're both talking about the other show as if it like, doesn't deserve to be there xD;;;

((except for those people who are fans of both, or have a friend/SO who was there to see the other))

I know there was an anime festival but was it in the same room or in a different area?

Maybe they should just hang out at Otakon? (shrug)

I know there was an anime festival but was it in the same room or in a different area?

Maybe they should just hang out at Otakon? (shrug)

You should know. Didn't you moderate the Kung Fu Panda panel?

90% of anime stuff was kept in the basement. Which made sense but I think they should have put it on the map at least, or had it somewhere that was easier to find.

The other 10% was in the back corner of the dealer's room. Most crowded and narrowest walkways.

I actually flew home with a guy who came to the con just for the Anime con, and after discussing it, we both agreed the con would have been a lot better if they had been separate cons rather than a mash up.

I know when Evilash and I were cruising around the con I heard the comments a number of times along the lines of "oh, we're back in the comic con... ugh.." and "oh, we're in the anime stuff now... ugh..."

I know I've seen some comments about folks being upset about how the Signature Series submissions got cut off, but I think even if they had more witnesses (CAWs) at this con, they still would have had to cut them off. CGC was getting SO MANY subs, it was crazy. I walked up to the CGC booth at 5p on Friday to see CGC carrying out at least 16 of those HUGE boxes they use to ship their show subs. It was CRAZY!!!

And seeing the number of subs behind the booth that were waiting for SS... :o insane!!!

Major props to the CAWs working this show. Everytime I saw them they were hustling as fast as they could to try to get all of the books done, from the moment the an artist would show up to the moment they would be kicked out of the building for the day. I think the guys working this show must have lost 10 pounds from all of the running around they were doing. :golfclap: