• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Anatomy of a Proper Press!

122 posts in this topic

this is a very informative thread. and after seeing the wonders of pressing, i will laugh in the face of anyone who claims that the collapse in prices of high grade books is due to the economy

Yeah. 26% of the country being unemployed has nothing to do with the drop in prices. :eyeroll:

this is a very informative thread. and after seeing the wonders of pressing, i will laugh in the face of anyone who claims that the collapse in prices of high grade books is due to the economy

Why, can you prove otherwise?

I'd be interested in seeing head-on views of the spine edge and outer page edge to compare the flatness of the comic before and after pressing, and to see the extent to which pressing destroys the plumpness of a fresh spine.

Not all spines are "plump" before being pressed. It depends on the type of paper stock they were using at the time and the other manufacture methods. A lot of 80s books like Secret Wars #8 are often plumpy. That Hulk #237 was plumpy, but since it is already pressed I don't have a before picture to post that will prove that pressing doesn't necessarily hurt the original feel. If I press a good example of this in the future, I'll post it.

Where's the "anatomy" part, you know, the detailed analysis? All I'm seeing is the ShamWow infomercial. :popcorn:

You want pictures of anatomy? hm

Where's the "anatomy" part, you know, the detailed analysis? All I'm seeing is the ShamWow infomercial. :popcorn:

The title of this thread implies we shoiuld expect something insightful. How do we even know if those books were pressed by him, hmmm?

I have a question. What does pressing do to the fibers in the paper? It would seem to me that the fibers would need to be pressed down past the crease to "cover it up". Surely, this would forever change the fibers in the paper and put the comic at risk for a much shorter life span?

In my opinion, humidity is the greatest threat to the lifespan of a comic book. I'm not a chemist, so I can't drone on like a science teacher about it...however, I am of the opinion that pressing is safe if conducted correctly.

The title of this thread implies we shoiuld expect something insightful. How do we even know if those books were pressed by him, hmmm?

I've only had two books pressed by someone other than myself. An ASM #129 and a Captain America #78--those were pressed by Matt Nelson a few years ago.

Exactly. This is not some general thread about the pressing process. It's an advertisement. It shouldn't be in General.

Is is, but at the same time, it's educational in that it has some of the best before and after pictures I've ever seen of what's possible with pressing.

I've only had two books pressed by someone other than myself. An ASM #129 and a Captain America #78--those were pressed by Matt Nelson a few years ago.

You could have found those pictures on the internet. Testimonials are a dime a dozen, show us the goods. :sumo:

I would like to see close-up pics of the equipment and the process explained in detail.

What's the over/under on how many more posts before the thread is closed?

I would like to see close-up pics of the equipment and the process explained in detail.

What's the over/under on how many more posts before the thread is closed?

Why would it get closed? I was hoping for some enlightenment to come out of the pics. Not a lockdown. :juggle:

I have a question. What does pressing do to the fibers in the paper? It would seem to me that the fibers would need to be pressed down past the crease to "cover it up". Surely, this would forever change the fibers in the paper and put the comic at risk for a much shorter life span?

It straightens the fibers. The light humidity and heat used during pressing reduce the lifespan of the book by accelerating the acidic degradation of the book by an infinitesimal amount, but it's nowhere close to contributing to a "much shorter" lifespan.

I'm not sure what you mean by pressing "down past the create to cover it up." ???