• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star wars comics

22 posts in this topic

Tales of the Jedi. it is a copper age series but it is awesome. Here's something I got from wookiepedia on the series. I cut out some of the spoilers.

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, abbreviated as TotJ, is a comic book series covering eight story arcs, all published by Dark Horse Comics. The first story arc, entitled Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon, was written by veteran Star Wars author Tom Veitch, and was part of the first series of comics, which eventually became known as Knights of the Old Republic. Veitch went on to write the next two story arcs, The Saga of Nomi Sunrider and The Freedon Nadd Uprising, and co-authored the fourth story arc, Dark Lords of the Sith, with fellow author Kevin J. Anderson. With the successful completion of Dark Lords of the Sith, Anderson continued the TotJ series as the sole storyline writer, with Veitch opting not to continue writing for the series. Anderson went on to write the final two story arcs, completing The Sith War in the spring of 1996 and Redemption in the fall of 1998.

It has been the best Star Wars comic I read so far. I'd love to see what other people recommend though.

Here is a list of the series in tpb form:

Tales of the Jedi: The Collection PLUS The Freedon Nadd Uprising Trade Paperback

Dark Lords Of the Sith

The Sith War

Redemption

Golden Age of the Sith

The Fall of the Sith Empire

I have Dark Times, Invasion and Old Republic on my pull list. They are all great reads if you are into Star Wars.

I always avoided the comics and books myself. I was more of a movie guy. Someone had issues 1-12 of Dark Times on eBay for a rock bottom price...all great condition to boot so I decided to snatch it up. Anyway, Dark Times turned out to be fantastic. They don't pull punches in that series, I'll tell you that.

Because of that I also started getting Invasions when it started, since it dealt with characters I was familiar with. That is good stuff too...and since I was batting a thousand at this point I grabbed The Old Republic when it started a couple months ago. Old Republic usually takes two reads just to keep track of everything that is going on...lol...I'll read it a third just for anything I might have missed. This is an excellent read as well.

Plus, as a bonus, the Star Wars books are 40 pages in length, doesn't seem like much but you can definitely tell the difference.

The only grip I have is Dark Times isn't consistent with distribution, last issue came out a couple months ago and the next isn't slated until 2011...they promised no more delays after that though. Invasions also is in hiatus...right now they have a 6 issue mini called Invasion:Rescues that ties into the main story...I'm assuming the main title will start back up after that though.

Hope this helps.

Tales of the Jedi. it is a copper age series but it is awesome. Here's something I got from wookiepedia on the series. I cut out some of the spoilers.

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, abbreviated as TotJ, is a comic book series covering eight story arcs, all published by Dark Horse Comics. The first story arc, entitled Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon, was written by veteran Star Wars author Tom Veitch, and was part of the first series of comics, which eventually became known as Knights of the Old Republic. Veitch went on to write the next two story arcs, The Saga of Nomi Sunrider and The Freedon Nadd Uprising, and co-authored the fourth story arc, Dark Lords of the Sith, with fellow author Kevin J. Anderson. With the successful completion of Dark Lords of the Sith, Anderson continued the TotJ series as the sole storyline writer, with Veitch opting not to continue writing for the series. Anderson went on to write the final two story arcs, completing The Sith War in the spring of 1996 and Redemption in the fall of 1998.

It has been the best Star Wars comic I read so far. I'd love to see what other people recommend though.

It also was the first to feature the double bladed light saber, long before Darth Maul. I considered buying the cover to that issue since it's cool little piece of Star Wars history.

Thanks for all your advice. I rode Clone wars but didnt like the art at all. And I check the December previews and found only mini. Is there no more on-going series for Star Wars? Legacy and Dark Times looks cool.

I was more interested in starting a new subscription in some SW comics. But I don't see any on going now and I don't like mini, that s why I stopped hell boy

There is this new one tomorrow but I am not a big fan of comics with a girl as main character

Invasion is ongoing and is on a low number as well as The Old Republic. I searched eBay and you should be able to get caught up on those titles quite easily. Invasion at least includes some familiar characters...Luke, Leia and Han(and their children).

Dark Times is also ongoing, which is my favorite of the three I've mentioned is on number 17. There is actually the full run #0 thru #16 on eBay right now. Darth Vader actually appears in this comic from time to time and has a bit of a subplot going on, which I think they will continue to develop more and more.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed reading Star Wars comics...glad I took a chance on them.

Thanks I gonna take dark times in tpb to see if I like it.

What do you guys think about the old marvel run of Star wars? Those omnibus are pretty cheap. I am a bit worried that the story is too much of the same than the original movies.

I'd also read Tag & Bink if you want to fill in some of the gaps from the movies :)

Now this series was awesome!! It's a comedy though.

And you have to be a huge fan who knows the movies inside and out to fully appreciate it.

For example, did you ever wonder what happened to Chewie's medal at the end of Star Wars? And that porr Manny Both-Hanz who dies getting them the information. :roflmao:

I'd also read Tag & Bink if you want to fill in some of the gaps from the movies :)

Now this series was awesome!! It's a comedy though.

And you have to be a huge fan who knows the movies inside and out to fully appreciate it.

For example, did you ever wonder what happened to Chewie's medal at the end of Star Wars? And that poor Manny Both-Hanz who dies getting them the information. :roflmao:

Yeah Legacy, Dark Times, and Invasion have all been good for me. I really liked Legacy but was not too into the now ended KOTOR series that much. I haven't bought new books for some time but would like to get into the new Blood Ties series with Jango and Boba. Also try to get a hold of the first Purge one shot, it tells the story right after ROTS when Vader starts hunting down the Jedi and has an awesome AH! cover to boot. Only draw back is that it was way under-printed and is hard to find anywhere. I think they might have reprinted it in one of those 30th anniversary HC's a few years back but most sellers on the bay want a hefty premium for that as well.

I started to read legacy (around 20 issues), very good. I checked the new knight errant but didn't like it. I will finish the 50 issues of legacy and start to buy the ongoing with the legacy war. I hope they will not finish after that. I want to try Dark times as well. I had a look at invasion but didn't really like it.

Which one talks about when Luke got his son and Leia the twin and everything? Jedi academy?

I bought the shadows of the empire books instead of the omnibus. I rode it was better. Will see