• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

3 brothers enter a hotel and ask the desk clerk how much for a room. The clerk tells them it's $30. Each of the brothers hands over $10. They get the key and head up to the room.

The clerk realizes that he overcharged them. It should have been $25. So, he gives 5 singles to the bell boy and tells him to bring it up to the 3 brothers. In the elevator, the bell boy thinks "they'll never know", and he keep $2 for himself and gives each of the 3 brothers a dollar back.

So, each of the three brothers paid $9, for a total of $27. The bell boy kept $2. That makes $29.

Where's the last dollar?

Of the original $30 forked over by the brothers, it is accounted for as follows after all is said and done:

clerk/hotel retains $25

brothers retain $3

clerk retains $2

Add it all up, and you get the $30 that was originally forked over by the brothers

Looking at it another way, at the end of the day, the brothers should have paid $25 in total, but because of the bell boy's actions, they ended up paying $27 in total.

:acclaim:

3 brothers enter a hotel and ask the desk clerk how much for a room. The clerk tells them it's $30. Each of the brothers hands over $10. They get the key and head up to the room.

The clerk realizes that he overcharged them. It should have been $25. So, he gives 5 singles to the bell boy and tells him to bring it up to the 3 brothers. In the elevator, the bell boy thinks "they'll never know", and he keep $2 for himself and gives each of the 3 brothers a dollar back.

So, each of the three brothers paid $9, for a total of $27. The bell boy kept $2. That makes $29.

Where's the last dollar?

Of the original $30 forked over by the brothers, it is accounted for as follows after all is said and done:

clerk/hotel retains $25

brothers retain $3

clerk retains $2

Add it all up, and you get the $30 that was originally forked over by the brothers

Looking at it another way, at the end of the day, the brothers should have paid $25 in total, but because of the bell boy's actions, they ended up paying $27 in total.

:gossip: i think he was asking rick...

And the bell boy kept $2. Wheres the other dollar? :baiting:

If you had a choice between three SA comics

1) FF#1 6.0

2) AF#15 6.0

3) Hulk#1 6.0

how would you rank them as best investment for percentage increase in 10 years?

Depends on popularity of the character(s) in ten years time. Looking at it today, I would say either AF #15, FF #1 & Hulk #1 or AF #15, Hulk #1 & FF #1 in that order. Hulk #1 is a tougher book in grade & FF #1 being the wild card in the group. FF #1 is not viewed as seriously important as it should be. In my collecting world, FF #1 is THE key book of the lot, but popularity of the characters drives the market.

1) FF#1 6.0

2) AF#15 6.0

3) Hulk#1 6.0

this would be my list...

af15

hulk1

ff1

Where's the last dollar?

2 brothers paid 9.33, with one paying 9.34 (25 divided by 3) lol

Where's the last dollar?

clerk/hotel retains $25

brothers retain $3

clerk retains $2

Looking at it another way, at the end of the day, the brothers should have paid $25 in total, but because of the bell boy's actions, they ended up paying $27 $28 in total.

fixed that for you (thumbs u

And the bell boy kept $2. Wheres the other dollar? :baiting:

in a g string at the club down the road :headbang:

1) FF#1 6.0

2) AF#15 6.0

3) Hulk#1 6.0

Depends on popularity of the character(s) in ten years time. Looking at it today, I would say either AF #15, FF #1 & Hulk #1 or AF #15, Hulk #1 & FF #1 in that order. Hulk #1 is a tougher book in grade & FF #1 being the wild card in the group. FF #1 is not viewed as seriously important as it should be. In my collecting world, FF #1 is THE key book of the lot, but popularity of the characters drives the market.

I don't see much of a change over the next 10 years... albeit, for the first 20+ years it was FF, then AF, then Hulk... but from an investment potential, there are plenty of FF 1 and even AF 15's in 6.0... it is hulk 1 that is scarcer, hence, it ranks above FF1, but below AF 15 due to the higher demand for AF15 (imo)

Where's the last dollar?

clerk/hotel retains $25

brothers retain $3

clerk retains $2

Looking at it another way, at the end of the day, the brothers should have paid $25 in total, but because of the bell boy's actions, they ended up paying $27 $28 $27 in total.

fixed that for you (thumbs u

Nope, fixed that back for you lol

In an attempt to better explain the answer to nearmint's riddle:

The question of "where is the other dollar" is not a valid question since it's not accounting for apples to apples;

Net Expenses to the brothers = ($10 - $1) x 3 = $27

Net Income to the hotel = $30 - $5 = $25

Net Income to the bellboy = $2

--> Net Expenses = Net Income

The question is taking an expense item from one party (the $27 above) adding to it an income item from another party (the $2 above) and asking why it doesn't equal the initial outlay by the brothers (i.e. $30)... :foryou:

Dear Gator,

What is your favorite comic book cover for each of Action, Superman, Detective, and Batman, as well as your favorite overall comic book cover?

interesting question...

my Favorite action cover is #12

my farvorite detective cover is #29

my favorite superman cover is #14

my favorite batman cover is #47

my favorite overall comic book cover is tie between Terrific 5 and Suspense 3

Dear Gator,

Now that there is no reserve on the Action #1 court copy in the HA, what is your guestimate on its final price this time around?

since I am actively bidding on it, I will have to refrain from "showing my cards" :sorry:

Dear Gator:

what is your favorite comicbook character?

what is - in your opinion - the most important comic book character ?

what is your favorite comic book?

:)

my favorite cb character is the Silver Surfer...my first comic in 1973 was SS 1...and he has always been my favorite...

imo, and in most folks opinion, historically Superman is the most important (followed by batman and captain america ,etc)... I believe today, Spiderman is the most relevant and thus, currently more important...

my favorite comic book, if I could only have one... hm

for GA: I would likely go with Batman 1 over, say action 1 or tec 27, due to the quantity of content (full book, versus just an 8 page story, etc)...

for SA: Silver Surfer 1...