• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear Mr Gator

I have been seeking an unrestored WFC #3 for a while.

Those nasty folk on ebay had a couple but for about 400% over GPA.

A coverless one was listed for $150.

Where do you think I should search next? (shrug)

How do Action #1 and Tec #27 compare grade-for-grade in today's FMV?

How do you expect that to change (if at all) over the next 10 years?

Will Action #1 continue to pull further ahead of Tec #27, will they become closer to equal in value or will Tec #27 over-take Action #1 as the most valuable book in the hobby?

the last time tec 27 was more valuable than action 1 was late 80s I believe (around first batman film). Likely to remain its last time. Both books should continue to experience increased demand relative to known/available supply and value should continue to rise at a slower albeit steady pace

I believe the "supply" of both Action #1's and Tec #27's is about equal, right?

Considering the current popularity of both characters, especially amongst the upcoming generations of collectors (with Batman > Superman) why do you feel Action #1 is likely to stay ahead?

How do Action #1 and Tec #27 compare grade-for-grade in today's FMV?

How do you expect that to change (if at all) over the next 10 years?

Will Action #1 continue to pull further ahead of Tec #27, will they become closer to equal in value or will Tec #27 over-take Action #1 as the most valuable book in the hobby?

the last time tec 27 was more valuable than action 1 was late 80s I believe (around first batman film). Likely to remain its last time. Both books should continue to experience increased demand relative to known/available supply and value should continue to rise at a slower albeit steady pace

I believe the "supply" of both Action #1's and Tec #27's is about equal, right?

Considering the current popularity of both characters, especially amongst the upcoming generations of collectors (with Batman > Superman) why do you feel Action #1 is likely to stay ahead?

popularity aside the historical significance will keep action 1 as king. There is just more demand for action 1

Dear Mr Gator

I have been seeking an unrestored WFC #3 for a while.

Those nasty folk on ebay had a couple but for about 400% over GPA.

A coverless one was listed for $150.

Where do you think I should search next? (shrug)

patience is key. eBay, clink, heritage etc will produce one at fmv sooner than later

Rick,

Which one thing is more important in this business? A big bank roll, or industry contacts? Cant choose both.

if you have the money, any book can be had with patience (ie will show up at auction sooner or later)

Having contacts is great but if you can't fund, what's the point

So a big bank roll is more important?

Second question. How do you sell what you would love to own yourself?

that is a personal decision. Some sell out of necessity , some out of boredom , some for a myriad of reasons. I will sell a book I love if someone values more than I because I feel most every book can be replaced at some point and at some price

What type of books have you been hesitant buying? But still bought anyway?

What books do you pass on completely?

I know part of this, but am curious to see what you say. :)

From a resell perspective I pass on frankenbooks...just too tough to th to resell

I am hesitant buying brittle books though on rare occasions will. Slightly brittle barely bothers me on rare books but on sa I would pass on anything less than cr/ow

Ok cool.

Last questions. Have you ever had to take a loss on a book, and why?

What was the biggest mistake you made when starting dealing in vintage books?

I have sold many many books at a loss. Too too many to even remember. Every one sells at a loss sometimes! I just do it more often than others because many times I buy books as a collector then sell

Really no mistakes to say. Sometimes I have sold too quickly or too cheaply but no "mistakes" per se

I am only up to page 43 of this thread so forgive me if these questions have already been asked:

1. How did you get started as a comic dealer?

2. Did you progressively build inventory/business over a long period or did you happen upon a mammoth find that made your business?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

I am only up to page 43 of this thread so forgive me if these questions have already been asked:

1. How did you get started as a comic dealer?

2. Did you progressively build inventory/business over a long period or did you happen upon a mammoth find that made your business?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

I've been collecting comics since 1973. I completed the entire super hero silver age and ga runs like action and batman by 1992. I sold off almost all in 1995 to fund my toy import business. For 10 years I took a relative hiatus from collecting while building up my toy business. In 2005 I started buying comics for my collection again but found I had limited funds to spend on my hobby so once I would complete a run or two I would sell off and recycle the money. I just gradually got into accumulating books to offer for resell. So a slow/progressive building would best describe

Also:

What are you best sellers from sa/ga/ba?

Cheers

Jake

I specialize in ga and sa keys. Only ba i really buy or sell are books like hulk 181, xmen 94.

I typically only buy sa keys to resell (af15,hulk 1 etc)

Ga my best sellers have been books I like and keyed in on... Superman 14, batman47, action 23, mmc40/46, cap46 etc